How Long Has The 60csx Been On The Market?

Greetings all and thanks for a great website. I'm just getting into Geocaching and GPS stuff in general and I need some advice on my first unit. I'm a complete idiot on the subject of GPS and waypoints and other related stuff.

I'm leaning towards the Garmin 60CSx from amazon.com. But before I buy, I was wondering how long this unit has been out on the market? Is a newer model coming soon? I'd hate to buy one and find out about the "new Garmin 60CSxxxxxx" is now the best thing out there. Thanks for your responses. :huh:

Darn it, guess I can't edit my title: I meant "been on the market" not "per on the market". Duh

Edited by RangemasterP226

Greetings all and thanks for a great website. I'm just getting into Geocaching and GPS stuff in general and I need some advice on my first unit. I'm a complete idiot on the subject of GPS and waypoints and other related stuff.

I'm leaning towards the Garmin 60CSx from amazon.com. But before I buy, I was wondering how long this unit has been out on the market? Is a newer model coming soon? I'd hate to buy one and find out about the "new Garmin 60CSxxxxxx" is now the best thing out there. Thanks for your responses. :huh:

Darn it, guess I can't edit my title: I meant "been on the market" not "per on the market". Duh

If you look around here you will notice that the 60CSx is perhaps the most popular new GPSr out there. Garmin is a very good company and there GPSr's have always been amoung the best. The 60CSx is a next generation GPSr that incorporates a much improved and very sensitive receiver based on the SiRF hardware and it also includes an altimiter/barometer and compass. There have been a few issues WRT the altimiter and I expect improvements will be made with firmwarre updates.

All-in-all the 60CSx is a great GPSr but there are other less expensive receivers that will nearly as well.

Brian

The first report of user's hands was Jan 17, 2006.

(I have reasons for remembering this. Who wants a piece of me for GPS trivia?)

The fear that something newer will come along is common in purchasers of tech products. This model is definitely near the beginning of its life cycle. Is there something newer in the works? Almost certainly. Can you wait forever? Do you think that this unit will do what you want for as long as you want (remember, just becuase something newer is available doesn't mean yours suddenly loses functionality) at a price you want? If so, go for it.

The fear that something newer will come along is common in purchasers of tech products...
And don't forget - you can always spot the pioneers by the arrows sticking out of their backs. Sometimes it is better to wat for revision 2 - or 2.1 :huh: Edited by lee_rimar
The fear that something newer will come along is common in purchasers of tech products...
And don't forget - you can always spot the pioneers by the arrows sticking out of their backs. Sometimes it is better to wat for revision 2 - or 2.1 :huh:

Anyone that gets any "point-zero" version is a pioneer :) (1.0 or 2.0 or 3.0, it doesn't matter!)

OK, I'm just ordered the 60CSx from amazon. I hope its not too much for a newbie. Wish me luck. Reading these posts does lead me to think that GPSs are kind of complicated. I guess I'll find out soon. :laughing:

Upgrade the software and the firmware when you get it and don't look back, you will love it.

OK, I'm just ordered the 60CSx from amazon. I hope its not too much for a newbie. Wish me luck. Reading these posts does lead me to think that GPSs are kind of complicated. I guess I'll find out soon. :laughing:

Upgrade the software and the firmware when you get it and don't look back, you will love it.

Agreed. Also learn one thing at a time and take your time doing it. Practice, practice, practice. Between the manual & this forum you'll be fine.

You wont regret it as long as you can afford it. The thing is pretty high dollar after you get your RAM mount, city select maps and auto power cord and new 1 gig transflash card....just dont let your wife see the credit card bill!!!!

You wont regret it as long as you can afford it. The thing is pretty high dollar after you get your RAM mount, city select maps and auto power cord and new 1 gig transflash card....just dont let your wife see the credit card bill!!!!

Hopefully you shipped it to your work address so your wife doesn't see it. I learned that twenty some GPSr's ago. Remember, it’s much easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission!