Garmin 76csx.

I understood that the 76CSX only had a small amount of internal memory you could write to .. used for folding tracks and waypoints etc,

All custom POIS and maps get sent to the Micro SD card .. Taking my card out and sticking it in a PC reader shows a folder called Garmin which has folder called POI containing file called poi.gpi.. also in the Garmin Folder is my maps in a single encryted file called gmapsupp.img. I dont have any tracks on mine

Edited by S&G.Davison

I want to know how to ad a map to it, how to invoke it, etc. I can't find anything in the manual.

To add a map you must use the mapsource software. Highlight the parts of the map you want with the map tool and select send. I will be a gps icon with a arrow pointing down. You must have the GPS turned on and set the interface to Garmin. Just hit the send icon and it will laod the maps. In the manual on page 2 it tells you how to remove and insert the card. Page nine also has a paragraph on this.

I understood that the 76CSX only had a small amount of internal memory you could write to .. used for folding tracks and waypoints etc,

All custom POIS and maps get sent to the Micro SD card .. Taking my card out and sticking it in a PC reader shows a folder called Garmin which has folder called POI containing file called poi.gpi.. also in the Garmin Folder is my maps in a single encryted file called gmapsupp.img. I dont have any tracks on mine

Ahhhhhhhh.... Duh..... The "invalid" image file on my card IS the maps. Thanks. :laughing:

BTW: You don't have to take your card out to look at it. Hit menu, menu, then select Setup. Select Interface. Select USB Mass Storage. Your card will appear as a drive on your computer.

Edited by Thrak

Ahhhhhhhh.... Duh..... The "invalid" image file on my card IS the maps. Thanks. :huh:

BTW: You don't have to take your card out to look at it. Hit menu, menu, then select Setup. Select Interface. Select USB Mass Storage. Your card will appear as a drive on your computer.

At least when you have the 2.71 beta or 2.90 firmware.

Check by selecting [Menu]-[Menu]-Setup-[Enter]-System-[Enter]-[Menu]-Software Version.

I asume its the same combination as on the 60SCx.

ProsperoDK/René

... also in the Garmin Folder is my maps in a single encryted file called gmapsupp.img.

That doesn't sound good. I was hoping that with the microSD card Garmin had abandoned the destructive-write process of loading maps. Does loading maps on the card delete all the maps already on it?

... also in the Garmin Folder is my maps in a single encryted file called gmapsupp.img.

That doesn't sound good. I was hoping that with the microSD card Garmin had abandoned the destructive-write process of loading maps. Does loading maps on the card delete all the maps already on it?

Yep, I'm afraid so. You can't add or delete specific maps stored on the card, you can only replace the entire map image with one new map image. It appears that MapSource has to combine all the map segments you select (from the multiple map products you may have available) into one seamless file which (depending on whether you select the option) includes auto-routing data that often has to span multiple map segments. It's probably a lot more efficient to do it that way than to have a whole bunch of map files on the unit that the unit's processor has to integrate on the fly. It's still a pain as far as the user is concerned....

--Larry

You can't add or delete specific maps stored on the card, you can only replace the entire map image with one new map image.

Ugh. How long does it take to load a 1GB card? :laughing:

I take it Garmin replaced most of the internal memory with the card, so that if we buy one of their preloaded cards then we have to swap cards to use different map products: shut unit down, open back, change out card, close back, start up unit, lose micro-card in pocket--what a hassle!

You can't add or delete specific maps stored on the card, you can only replace the entire map image with one new map image.

Ugh. How long does it take to load a 1GB card? :laughing:

I take it Garmin replaced most of the internal memory with the card, so that if we buy one of their preloaded cards then we have to swap cards to use different map products: shut unit down, open back, change out card, close back, start up unit, lose micro-card in pocket--what a hassle!

You don't want to know how long it takes.... In my case, I loaded a little more than 700MB of map segments (a combination of City Navigator NA v8 and US Topo) on my 1GB card, and it took more than an hour, maybe closer to 90 minutes for the whole process (MapSource has to create a map index, then merge all the segments into one image, then finally load the result to the GPSr).

I don't think Garmin reduced the amount of internal memory in these units, but I don't know that for sure. I think loading the map data onto a card just frees up the existing internal memory for other stuff.

--Larry

I just got the 76CSX two days ago...I have to order mapping, thinking of CN8. I noticed, or can not find, there is no card function utility like on a Meriplat, which I have, that allows you to load maps, foramt the card etc. Are those functions done through the mapping software? Thanks.

I just got the 76CSX two days ago...I have to order mapping, thinking of CN8. I noticed, or can not find, there is no card function utility like on a Meriplat, which I have, that allows you to load maps, foramt the card etc. Are those functions done through the mapping software? Thanks.

Yes, MapSource (which came on the CD with your 76CSx as well as with CN8 and all the other Garmin mapping software) allows you to select and transfer maps to the GPSr, etc.

Yep, I'm afraid so. You can't add or delete specific maps stored on the card, you can only replace the entire map image with one new map image. It appears that MapSource has to combine all the map segments you select (from the multiple map products you may have available) into one seamless file which (depending on whether you select the option) includes auto-routing data that often has to span multiple map segments.

I don't have the 76 being discussed, but I assume it would act the same as the other GPS units I have and use Mapsource for. You can rename the active detailed map img file and store it on your computer HD, or on the SD card itself.

For example, I don't keep detailed maps of southeast US loaded, but can quickly add them when I'm in that area. When I created the map set I wanted for that area, I made a copy and renamed it FLA_GMAPSUPP.IMG (for use on the iQue GPS). I have similar map sets for other areas including Topo.

Then whenever a particular region is needed, I just rename if back to the name the GPS recognizes, and use a card reader to overwrite what's there.

Of course w/ the expanding capacity of these SD cards, one can easily store larger areas such as the entire east coast US and the need for multiple image files decreases.

I don't have the 76 being discussed, but I assume it would act the same as the other GPS units I have and use Mapsource for. You can rename the active detailed map img file and store it on your computer HD, or on the SD card itself.

For example, I don't keep detailed maps of southeast US loaded, but can quickly add them when I'm in that area. When I created the map set I wanted for that area, I made a copy and renamed it FLA_GMAPSUPP.IMG (for use on the iQue GPS). I have similar map sets for other areas including Topo.

Then whenever a particular region is needed, I just rename if back to the name the GPS recognizes, and use a card reader to overwrite what's there.

Of course w/ the expanding capacity of these SD cards, one can easily store larger areas such as the entire east coast US and the need for multiple image files decreases.

As you've explained, you can certainly maintain multiple different map images that you can swap in and out on the unit. My point was that there can be only one active map image (named GMAPSUPP.IMG) at any given time, whether you create and download it with MapSource or keep it on your hard drive for future use.

My main point was that you can't just add or delete map segments to the existing GMAPSUPP.IMG file on the GPSr, you have to replace the IMG file with a whole new IMG file.

--Larry

My main point was that you can't just add or delete map segments to the existing GMAPSUPP.IMG file on the GPSr, you have to replace the IMG file with a whole new IMG file.

--Larry

A fact that many, myself included, discovered for the 1st time the hard way.

Remember when I first started working w/ a Garmin & Mapsource, I discovered while driving past NYC that I had apparently not selected a small detailed map segment we would be driving through. Not to worry-- I'll just fire up the laptop in the hotel that evening and "add" that one teeny map.

I suppose a wiser person would have checked to confirm that what he thought had happened actually did, rather than only finding out on the road the next morning that they indeed had detailed coverage for that new area, but _only_ for that area! You'd think that the speed with which the map was written should have been the first clue-- again, were I paying attention.

Sheesh... :laughing: