Total Number Of Geocachers?

Hi, i am putting together some info on geocaching for a project I am doing, and I am not having any luck putting finding a total number of geocahers. I was wondering if anyone knew and approximate number.

Hmmm. I don't know if it would be possible to come up with a reasonable number. There is more than one listing site, there are people who may have registered on one of the sites but never were, or are no longer, active geocachers, there are groups who cache together under a single account, there are single people who have multiple accounts, and there countless people who start geocaching every day.

But right off the top of my head, I can think of about 12 other people who geocache. So I'd say 12.

I also see that you yourself haven't logged any finds on this site, so I didn't count you. Should I raise my estimate to 13?

Based on the Grand High Poobah's leaderboard there are around 13000 cachers who have over 200 finds. Figure there are TONS more cachers who have less than 200, I'd put it at 1 200+ cacher for every 5 under 200 finds, which makes the number of cachers somewhere around: 80,000. But don't forget the folks who try it once or twice or go out with those other cachers as team members, etc, so triple it.

240,000 cachers minimum.

Which is about 1/3 the number of folks who have ever signed up for a user name at geocching.com One of the newest users to signup is #727794.

Good luck getting a useable number!

1 million +

And that would be an educated guess.

Truth be told, no one knows how many cachers there are out there. Jeremy and TPTB may know how many accounts there are. But even they don't know how many cachers there are for each account.

Just think of how many geocaching families you know. Everyone in the family would be considered a cacher, but there's just one account. There are several multi-cacher accounts just in the responses to this thread.