Geocaching Trivia!

I am not sure if this information is obtainable on Geocaching.com so I thought I would post a few questions that I have always wondered about. I have been to the site that rates Cachers by how many caches found, so I know about that, but what about these questions.

1. Which Geocache has been "in the field and active" the longest, without having been muggled, replaced or otherwise met it's demise?

2. Which Geocache has been found the most times (by the most different cachers)?

3. Which Geocache is the highest (Mt. Whitney?) and the lowest (Death Valley)in the US? The World?

4. Which Travel Bug has verifiably gone the most miles? Visited the most states? Most countries?

5. Who is the oldest geocacher?

6. Who has HID the most geocaches?

Maybe you can think of other interesting questions, and maybe you have some verifiable answers. Maybe Groundspeak can even have a "Trivia Page" and people can submit trivia information for the page. We all know who has found the most Geocaches, which state has the most, but all that information would be of interest to all cachers, novice and expert alike!

Inmountains

aka Mike

Edited by Inmountains

I am not sure if this information is obtainable on Geocaching.com so I thought I would post a few questions that I have always wondered about. I have been to the site that rates Cachers by how many caches found, so I know about that, but what about these questions.

1. Which Geocache has been "in the field and active" the longest, without having been muggled, replaced or otherwise met it's demise?

Mingo (GC30)

3. Which Geocache is ... the lowest (Death Valley)in the US? The World?

If you're only counting caches that are on land, Cache ha Shishi (GCKFRJ), hidden by a noted cacher from eastern MA, is the lowest. It's near the Dead Sea in Israel.

There is a cache hidden near a thermal vent at the bottom of the ocean. It can be reached by mini-sub. I don't think that one has a logbook, though.

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

2. Which Geocache has been found the most times (by the most different cachers)?

3. Which Geocache is the highest (Mt. Whitney?) and the lowest (Death Valley)in the US? The World?

4. Which Travel Bug has verifiably gone the most miles? Visited the most states? Most countries?

5. Who is the oldest geocacher?

6. Who has HID the most geocaches?

Maybe you can think of other interesting questions, and maybe you have some verifiable answers. Maybe Groundspeak can even have a "Trivia Page" and people can submit trivia information for the page. We all know who has found the most Geocaches, which state has the most, but all that information would be of interest to all cachers, novice and expert alike!

Inmountains

aka Mike

#3 - I was just reading about this cache . . . I think it would qualify . . . "Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents" (GCG822) it is 2300 metres (1.43 miles) deep in the Atlantic Ocean, on the ocean floor (Portugal). It was hidden July 19, 2002 and no one has ever logged a find for this one (Gee, I wonder why?!).

If you're only counting caches that are on land, Cache ha Shishi (GCKFRJ), hidden by a noted cacher from eastern MA, is the lowest. It's near the Dead Sea in Israel.

There is a cache hidden near a thermal vent at the bottom of the ocean. It can be reached by mini-sub. I don't think that one has a logbook, though.

Sounds awesome! So after I checked it out, I just innocently clicked on nearby caches to see what the heck else was near the Dead Sea in Israel, and it looks like in 2008, someone had to go and out-do him, and put a lower cache in Jordan: The Lower-est cache on earth :anibad:

It also available for a FTF.

For #3, in the U.S there's a cache on top of Whitney ( GC75C3 Peak-A-Boo: Mt. Whitney) that may have the highest elevation since it looks as though there isn't one on Mt McKinley. I presume (without looking) that the lowest is a cache in Death Valley.

Worldwide, there is an archived cache on Everest (that might still physically be there). The next highest one I could find is GC1V4AN Khare, Mera Peak - 5200 meters or 17,093 ft. Perhaps there is a higher one that I don't know about.

For #5 - CenturyOldCacher was said to be caching at 101 (now deceased).

I've got some other similar trivia (most northerly, most southerly, most remote etc) on my GC.com profile.

Edited by sdarken

#3 - I was just reading about this cache . . . I think it would qualify . . . "Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents" (GCG822) it is 2300 metres (1.43 miles) deep in the Atlantic Ocean, on the ocean floor (Portugal). It was hidden July 19, 2002 and no one has ever logged a find for this one (Gee, I wonder why?!).

Breaking news! There is now an FTF for "Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents!" Even better, someone else was there to capture the entire event in a video.

Breaking news! There is now an FTF for "Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents!" Even better, someone else was there to capture the entire event in a video.

You might want to check that one again. Looks like a DNF.

I would like to know what the World's BIGGEST geocache is. And I don't mean those silly pictures of the giant plywood ammocan. I mean for real. Pictures would be nice.

Not sure how you qualify what is, and what isn't a geocache. I know of one in Merrit Island that is a simulated ammo can, made from wood, (including plywood), that is listed on this site, contains swag, (a whole BUNCH of swag), and a logbook. Not sure of the dimensions. Maybe 4' long, 3' high & 2' wide? Would that count, or does that fall into the realm of silly?

You might want to check that one again. Looks like a DNF.

Thank God! I was afraid I had missed my chance! I thought I had booked that sub for nothing :P