Very Old, Very Confused - Which Gps Is Right For Me?

boxlid

I know next to nothing about GPS or geocaching, but I am ready to take up the hobby. Taking into account the following, which GPS unit would you recommend?

1) Cost - best bang for the buck, pardon the cliche - something between $80 and $140 preferably

2) I live in the mountains and there are lots of trees around, so is a good antenna extra important?

3) Userfriendly - if it's too complicated to use, I know myself well enough to know that I will not use it much

4) I don't plan to be hiking into the wilderness, but I am in the mountains and so a little offroad hiking is inevitable

5) My son just bought me a Garmin i5 for driving, so I wouldn't need the new one for that purpose.

I did try to read the reviews, but I didn't understand a lot of what they were saying. I simply want to take up geocaching as a once or twice a month hobby and just need a basic GPS to get started. Thank you so much for your help.

I'd have to go with a Garmin GPS V. Better reception than the Legend in tree cover and it can be found fairly reasonably.

If tree cover is still a problem you can use an external antanea on the GPS V and do better still for reception.

If you just want simple no muss no fuss no regrets, blow your budget and get a Garmin GPS60Cx (or 60CSx).

Now that the 'x' units are out, you can get a brand new Garmin Legend C for less than $200.00 on eBay if you keep looking and are patient.

You might get a lightly-used Legend C at the top end of your price range.

It gets a lock more quickly than the older monochrome units and, if you ever purchase the maps, it can auto-route you to your destinations. :cry:

Edited by Miragee

I know next to nothing about GPS or geocaching, but I am ready to take up the hobby. Taking into account the following, which GPS unit would you recommend?

1) Cost - best bang for the buck, pardon the cliche - something between $80 and $140 preferably

2) I live in the mountains and there are lots of trees around, so is a good antenna extra important?

3) Userfriendly - if it's too complicated to use, I know myself well enough to know that I will not use it much

4) I don't plan to be hiking into the wilderness, but I am in the mountains and so a little offroad hiking is inevitable

5) My son just bought me a Garmin i5 for driving, so I wouldn't need the new one for that purpose.

I did try to read the reviews, but I didn't understand a lot of what they were saying. I simply want to take up geocaching as a once or twice a month hobby and just need a basic GPS to get started. Thank you so much for your help.

I tried the Legend and it stunk under tree cover. I bought a Garmin GPS 60 (Basic -> has no street maps but does has a map display with a UTM grid) a new unit (not used) can be bought for your budget. It does exactly what you are asking for.. Simple to use, has a built in Geocaching Mode under finder (so you can log and manage your finds) and a USB cable to download the info. WAAS reception too.. For the cost factor it's hard to beat.. I am a new starter myself.. After couldn't find the caches with the Etrex legend (basic) I took the GPS 60 and walked right up to them.. No question on the antenna in the woods.. Just add yourself a good handheld compass to go along with the GPS 60 and you got most of the bases covered..

I tried the Legend and it stunk under tree cover.

For years I've used a Legend and a Vista under heavy tree cover with great results. If you use the unit correctly it works fine under trees. Granted they are much more sensitive to positioning than many other units, but the blend of features and price (particularly with the Legend) is hard to beat and worth having to pay attention to the way you hold the unit.

Edited by briansnat

I say get one with the electronic compass.

You are not going to find one with a compass built in , for under $150. Besides a "Real" compass doesn't kill batteries faster..in fact when the batteries die, you can still find your way out.. Plus if sight model compass it can provide more info than a GPS compass.. Want cheap and dirty, basic Garmin GPs 60 and a handheld compass can do a lot (I do agree the newer "x" models have better ears and can get readings indoors..and as soon as their price drops to the $200 range, I'll be the first to buy one.. But I have a feeling that price won't be here any time soon)