Groundspeak Revenue Generator

Blue Power Ranger

My mind is always a little outside the box so forgive me if this idea is a little too "unique". :huh:

I just thought of an interesting way that Groundspeak might be able to generate some extra revenue... depending on volume of course.

How about if you were able to establish some sort of "technical support" line for cachers out in the field. I have found myself out there many times when I rush out of the house sans-printout or PDA with nothing but coordinates and a confused look on my face.

What if there was a line I could call for a fee of course where somebody could just review the cache description with me, review the clue or help me by reading through some past logs. Of course, they wouldn't provide any "spoiler" info as they wouldn't be privy to anything that wasn't on the cache page.

They wouldn't solve puzzles for you or do anything like that.

I know many folks have a "phone-a-friend" that they use but many don't.

Why don't you use that same cellphone to look up the needed information using the WAP site? :huh:

Just guessing that the majority of folks out there caching are either not tech-savy or patient enough for something like that but everyone can dial a phone. The same reason that support lines are jammed for everything you can think of despite the information being readily available elsewhere.

Again - just thowing ideas against the wall. Don't underestimate the power of a human voice on the line.

My mind is always a little outside the box so forgive me if this idea is a little too "unique". :huh:

I just thought of an interesting way that Groundspeak might be able to generate some extra revenue... depending on volume of course.

How about if you were able to establish some sort of "technical support" line for cachers out in the field. I have found myself out there many times when I rush out of the house sans-printout or PDA with nothing but coordinates and a confused look on my face.

What if there was a line I could call for a fee of course where somebody could just review the cache description with me, review the clue or help me by reading through some past logs. Of course, they wouldn't provide any "spoiler" info as they wouldn't be privy to anything that wasn't on the cache page.

They wouldn't solve puzzles for you or do anything like that.

I know many folks have a "phone-a-friend" that they use but many don't.

...and if the website won't do it, you have found yourself a little business opportunity.

Why don't you use that same cellphone to look up the needed information using the WAP site? :huh:

well for 1 the WAP site has to actually work on your phone to be able to use it. :rolleyes:

It doesn't seem to like my Razr V3

Uh oh... That's what I have.. I was getting all excited too.... <_<

...and if the website won't do it, you have found yourself a little business opportunity.

Hmmm... is $20 per call too high? :rolleyes:

If you charge $200,000 per call you'd only have to get the one phone call to make it worthwhile. Matter of fact, I think I'm gonna start charging everybody that calls my house. "I'm sorry before we continue, I'm gonna need to get your credit card information. I don't care if you are my grandma, everybody pays!"

I've used the WAP site several times on my treo 650. I am not tech savy at all - just give me a big hammer and I'll fix anything.

I am pretty sure that it is all text site and I would check your phone setting to see if their are some simple changes.

The first is the "new" WAP site. The second is the "old" WAP site. There is a good reason why the old one ought to be modified or discontinued. I guess it's stuck around because the new version doesn't seem to work well for everyone.

Actually I don't have a internet enabled phone, so I have no idea how well either of them work (and till now I didn't know there was a difference <_< ). Its just the address I give people when they ask about wap.

If the old one is being replaced shouldn't the url redirect? or stop working all together or something??

I like this idea. 1-800-CACHEME (1-800-222-4363) is available. All I gotta do is hire 2 or 3 assistants, get a good internet connection for us all, and advertise heavily.

Now, a smart business person would leave it at that... but I would go even one further and build a database of cacher contacts based on the folks who called. Then, when someone calls and claims they need help with a cache, and they have gotten to the end of their patience with looking, I can offer to call a previous finder and for a small payment hand the frustrated cacher over to them for assistance. :huh:

Kinda like a phone-a-friend, but in this case it would be contact-a-finder!

For a small fee of $5.00 a month to participate, I think we could have a business ready-to-go. Offer other services such as immediate logging of the find for the caller and directions to the nearest caches via google maps, and we could really have something!

<_<:P:P:D:(:(:P:P:rolleyes:

And just in case that doesn't get us some business, I'd hire Torry.

I like this idea. 1-800-CACHEME (1-800-222-4363) is available. All I gotta do is hire 2 or 3 assistants, get a good internet connection for us all, and advertise heavily.

Now, a smart business person would leave it at that... but I would go even one further and build a database of cacher contacts based on the folks who called. Then, when someone calls and claims they need help with a cache, and they have gotten to the end of their patience with looking, I can offer to call a previous finder and for a small payment hand the frustrated cacher over to them for assistance. :D

Kinda like a phone-a-friend, but in this case it would be contact-a-finder!

For a small fee of $5.00 a month to participate, I think we could have a business ready-to-go. Offer other services such as immediate logging of the find for the caller and directions to the nearest caches via google maps, and we could really have something!

:D:o:D:D:D:D:blink::blink::D

And just in case that doesn't get us some business, I'd hire Torry.

I will do it for $2.50 a month!!!!!!!!!!! :D