Maximum Move Distance ?

Hi.

One of my caches recently got muggled. I'd like to move it a bit to maybe get it out of the very high muggle area.

My question is... Is there a maximum I can move it and edit the coordinates on my own, or can I at all. Must I get a reviewer to make even the slightest changes to my coordinates ? If so what is this distance ?

I can't seem to find this anywhere, and if I read it once before, I forget the answer. - Feel free to markwell.

Thanks

D.H.

Sorry to hear of your cache being muggled. Good luck with your rehide!

Cache owners can adjust the coordinates by up to 528 feet (161 meters) by using the "Update coordinates" log type. This log type is accessed by putting your cache into edit mode and then clicking on the link appearing below the coordinates field. Adjustments for a greater distance require involvement by a volunteer cache reviewer.

If you need to move your cache by more than the maximum distance, your reviewer will ask for a reason. In many cases a move of that distance changes the character of the cache, such that a new listing may be the appropriate way to proceed. If you just found a better hollow tree 50 feet further off the trail, then it is the same cache and you should just make the change yourself.

Also, don't get the bright idea of "marching" the coordinates through multiple update logs, to get to a new location a mile away. Each log notice clutters up multiple e-mail inboxes, including mine, and is likely to attract unwanted attention to you and your moving cache by your usually friendly volunteer cache reviewer.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Edited by Keystone

You can move the cache position by up to 0.1 miles by going your cache page, selecting "Log your visit", then choose "Update Coordinates" as the log type. The site will refuse to accept moves greater than the limit. Don't be tempted to use a series of moves or this will happen :)

Edited by McKryton

...Sorry to hear of your cache being muggled. Good luck with your rehide!

Cache owners can adjust the coordinates by up to 528 feet (171 meters) by using the "Update coordinates" log type. This log type is accessed by putting your cache into edit mode and then clicking on the link appearing below the coordinates field. Adjustments for a greater distance require involvement by a volunteer cache reviewer.

...Also, don't get the bright idea of "marching" the coordinates through multiple update logs, to get to a new location a mile away. Each log notice clutters up multiple e-mail inboxes, including mine, and is likely to attract unwanted attention to you and your moving cache by your usually friendly volunteer cache reviewer.

I tried that once, that is, moving a cache location, in 510 foot increments, for an approved cache from Central Western Maryland to a spot outside a top-secret hanger inside Area 51 in Groom Lake, Nevada, in order to place an extreme cache on a top-secret military base. The reviewers figured out what I was doing when the cache was near Peoria, Illinois, and put a stop to it! Darn!

Cache owners can adjust the coordinates by up to 528 feet (161 meters) by using the "Update coordinates" log type. This log type is accessed by putting your cache into edit mode and then clicking on the link appearing below the coordinates field. Adjustments for a greater distance require involvement by a volunteer cache reviewer.

If you need to move your cache by more than the maximum distance, your reviewer will ask for a reason. In many cases a move of that distance changes the character of the cache, such that a new listing may be the appropriate way to proceed. If you just found a better hollow tree 50 feet further off the trail, then it is the same cache and you should just make the change yourself.

Also, don't get the bright idea of "marching" the coordinates through multiple update logs, to get to a new location a mile away. Each log notice clutters up multiple e-mail inboxes, including mine, and is likely to attract unwanted attention to you and your moving cache by your usually friendly volunteer cache reviewer.

Perfect - AND lightning fast - exactly what I needed to know.

I think it will work OK within 161m, but lets add for the sake of completeness that in this case, I find a really good spot outside of this limit. It is still nearby the same trail (which circles a lake) and along the shores of the same lake. There are no other caches at this lake, so essentially it would be the same cache. It would take finders to the same lake and trail. What are the odds that a reviewer would approve new cordinates for the same cache in this circumstance ?\

And thanks again for the answer.

D.H.

I think it will work OK within 161m, but lets add for the sake of completeness that in this case, I find a really good spot outside of this limit. It is still nearby the same trail (which circles a lake) and along the shores of the same lake. There are no other caches at this lake, so essentially it would be the same cache. It would take finders to the same lake and trail. What are the odds that a reviewer would approve new cordinates for the same cache in this circumstance ?

This is a fact-specific question that ultimately is between you and your reviewer. Other things to consider include whether it is the same container in a similar hiding place. When I work with geocachers on these issues, I ask them to put themselves in the shoes of a finder of the cache at its original location. If it was a new listing, would that prior finder say "been there, done that" when they visited the new cache? Or would they say "wow, this is cool, too... a bit different than the old cache."

Lol, Special K beat me to it. :rolleyes:

:::waves hi to Dino Hunters:::

HI back - you planning for the next one yet ? Planning on being there in 2009 ?

I am.

Oh, I'd love to, and we're planning on it! Hm, let's see...Water Lily will be 15, and Kboy will be 12. <_< Scary. :rolleyes::)

I think it will work OK within 161m, but lets add for the sake of completeness that in this case, I find a really good spot outside of this limit. It is still nearby the same trail (which circles a lake) and along the shores of the same lake. There are no other caches at this lake, so essentially it would be the same cache. It would take finders to the same lake and trail. What are the odds that a reviewer would approve new cordinates for the same cache in this circumstance ?

This is a fact-specific question that ultimately is between you and your reviewer. Other things to consider include whether it is the same container in a similar hiding place. When I work with geocachers on these issues, I ask them to put themselves in the shoes of a finder of the cache at its original location. If it was a new listing, would that prior finder say "been there, done that" when they visited the new cache? Or would they say "wow, this is cool, too... a bit different than the old cache."

Thanks Keystone - I'll keep those things in mind as I survey the area.

(of course I gotta build a new cache container first) (or locate the old one)

I tried to shift my cache (GC3RHX8 Lawas Waterfront) from N4 51.432 E115 24.479 to a better and safer spot at N4 51.345 E115 24.476 as the old one has been muggled. Unfortunately, the geocaching site refuses to let me change the coordinate with the following message

The new location is too far away from the original location. Please check your coordinates to make sure they were entered correctly. If you need additional help, please contact Crow T Robot, the reviewer who published this cache, or Groundspeak to make the change for you. Please provide the cache name and GC Code, the new and old coordinates, and the reason why you need to move the cache.

Based on the calculation I done here http://www.fai.org/distance_calculation/, the distance between the original and new coordinate is only 160.4m. Any idea?

You can move the cache position by up to 0.1 miles by going your cache page, selecting "Log your visit", then choose "Update Coordinates" as the log type. The site will refuse to accept moves greater than the limit. Don't be tempted to use a series of moves or this will happen :)

Interesting, I didn't know of that limit. But moving more than 20m or so is for me a new hide, usually.

Anyway if you have to move more, send message to your reviewer with reason. I've had to do this once (for an earthcache) shortly after publishing, move quite a distance, as I forgot to put the correct coordinates there... had put in some place holder coords while drafting the cache that were a few km off and out in the sea to boot, later on a revisit to the area got accurate coordinates. Reviewer also missed that obvious error.

Also I've seen other people "moving" caches quite far due to a typo in the coordinates. Also had to ask their reviewer.

But moving less distance also seems to be noticed by the reviewer, just see what happened to GC339X3 around 7 April '13.

Based on the calculation I done here http://www.fai.org/distance_calculation/, the distance between the original and new coordinate is only 160.4m. Any idea?

Different distance-calculating tools sometimes use different algorithms to determine the distance, so they sometimes end up with different results. I'd guess the reviewer didn't use http://www.fai.org/distance_calculation/.

Edited by CanadianRockies

Is .1 miles still correct or has there been a policy change?

No policy change. But keep in mind that the cache still has to be .1 mile from any other cache.

Or more specifically, the physical stage of any caches has to be at least .1 mile from the physical stage of any other cache.

Note that this thread was started in 2006, was bumped in 2013, and bumped again today. Although the .1 mile limitation between physical stages of any two caches hasn't changed, some reviewers have indicated that when the "Don't place a cache every 600 feet, just because you can" language was removed from the guideline in 2009, that they started to become stricter about compliance with the 528 foot rule. Before 2009 some reviews might let a cache 520 feet from another cache slide by if there was a physical barrier between them (i.e. a river with a bridge 1/4 of a mile upriver) but may not allow it today. Not an official policy change but a stricter interpretation of the guidelines.

Is .1 miles still correct or has there been a policy change?

The original post of 11 years ago was asking about moving an existing cache.

Hi.

One of my caches recently got muggled. I'd like to move it a bit to maybe get it out of the very high muggle area.

My question is... Is there a maximum I can move it and edit the coordinates on my own, or can I at all. Must I get a reviewer to make even the slightest changes to my coordinates ? If so what is this distance ?

I can't seem to find this anywhere, and if I read it once before, I forget the answer. - Feel free to markwell.

Thanks

D.H.

Assuming this recent bump of the thread is also about moving an existing cache:

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache ownership: A long-term relationship

4.14. Update geocache coordinates

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=61

B.