Need Urgent Advice!

I need a gps with a map thingy on it so i can see where the cache is on a map. I need to be able to connect it to my computer. I need it to be under $100 (USA). I've seen eTrex's, but do they have all this? what about the magellan 100 thing? Eagle Explorers are on ebay for like $30. Will they do??? Someone please just tell me a specific, affordable model with these qualities. I've logged 20 caaches already, without the use of a gps. I am limited to few more finds without a gps, so please help me!!

Try clicking on the google map on the cache listing, if you are just looking to find out where it is on a map then that should work and its free. If you want a detailed map on a gps dont think you can get that done for under 100

to add: to get a GPSr that has usb unless you get one really cheap on ebay you wont get it done for under 100 that I know of anyway

Edited by Team Jsam

I need a gps with a map thingy on it so i can see where the cache is on a map.

Whoa, whoa, WHOA!! Slow down, let's go through your list one thing at a time, and see what's ''doable''. First, do you have to see it on a map every second while you are driving to it, or could you get by with seeing it on a map on your computer, printing out driving directions (or the map page), and then driving without using the GPSr until you're close? In a minute, you'll see why I ask that.

I need to be able to connect it to my computer.

Very desirable, since you'll want to load waypoints instead of putting them in by hand. The vast majority of units have this capability. Just make sure it has either a serial or a USB interface, and a CD with a simple software program for managing waypoints.

I need it to be under $100 (USA).

That limits you to non-mapping units. Mapping units with the memory required to load them usually start at about $125 and the mapping software for them is usually another $100 and up for each type of map (street, topo, marine, etc.).

I've seen eTrex's, but do they have all this? what about the magellan 100 thing? Eagle Explorers are on ebay for like $30. Will they do???

As I said, mapping units start higher than you've set your limit.

Someone please just tell me a specific, affordable model with these qualities.

You'll have to either adjust your specifications, or adjust your cache-finding method while you save up some money for a later upgrade.

I've logged 20 caaches already, without the use of a gps. I am limited to few more finds without a gps, so please help me!!

Now, I'm not trying to discourage you, or break your heart, or anything! I suspect that you were introduced to the game by someone who has a higher grade of toy, but all that's really necessary is your basic GPSr and internet access. You CAN GEOCACHE QUITE EASILY with a unit that costs around $100 (or even snag a used one for less).

Take a look at the stats for a dude called ''Web-ling'' ... he ALWAYS caches with a Garmin (yellow) eTrex ... well that's not quite true. He finds 70% of his caches without a GPS, ALL THE TIME!! He likes the challenge of using maps, aerial photos, and a compass to see if he can find the cache without a GPS. Of course, on multi's or anything where he might have to do something fancy like projecting a waypoint, he uses the unit. But with all the great maps on the internet, you CAN get by without a mapping unit. My hubby and I cached with Web-ling and his daughter this way when he still lived in the Fort Worth, TX area, and it really was quite neat -- a real eye-opener in more ways than one!

There are TEN different websites listed on each cache page where you can get street maps, aerials, and topo maps. You can talk to your fellow cachers and find even more. Ask which ones they think are the most up to date, easiest to use, etc. Then get out there and play with them! Rich (Web-ling) would tell you that he truly enjoys geocaching this way; why don't you give it a shot??

Good luck, and HAPPY TRAILS!! :rolleyes:

I neglected to tell you that there are TONS of good geocaching software that you can use for managing waypoints, some of which are FREE. Thirty of the BEST dollars I EVER SPENT, however, was for a license for Geocaching Swiss Army Knife. That's a lifetime license with free upgrades and all the tech support you could ever desire ... for a VERY POWERFUL program. I've been using it for over 3 years and still have a lot to learn about what it can do. Find someone who can show you what it does, or visit the GSAK forum.

Thanks for the info! I always thought that caching without a gps was like trying to play tennis with a golfball. Sure, it works sometimes, but you are limited. Anyway, what is all necessary for geocaching. So I just put in the coords and what does the thing tell me to do? what's the waypoint for then? Sorry, still a n00b with a gps. If all I need is an accurate gps for putting in waypoints and coords, then what's the routing feature for? what extra help do maps provide? and what is the convenience for computer connection???

Thanks for the info! I always thought that caching without a gps was like trying to play tennis with a golfball. Sure, it works sometimes, but you are limited. Anyway, what is all necessary for geocaching. So I just put in the coords and what does the thing tell me to do? what's the waypoint for then? Sorry, still a n00b with a gps. If all I need is an accurate gps for putting in waypoints and coords, then what's the routing feature for? what extra help do maps provide? and what is the convenience for computer connection???

Waypoint = Coords = Lat and Long ... just terminology. Routing is strictly for road travel, and we find it very convenient because we travel a lot and it really helps when you don't know the roads. To find a geocache, you just input the coords (manually or via computer), do a "goto" -- you should look for "find" or "goto" in your manual and it will take you thru this step by step for your GPS -- and then follow the trail -- and your arrow -- to the cache. Read all the advice for n00b's that you can -- when you see the same thing over and over in different places, you'll know it's important!

The computer makes it really easy to load a whole bunch of waypoints into your GPS so that you have them with you (in case you have 20 minutes to kill after lunch, or whatever). Even for just a few, it's a time saver; plus, it assures that you won't "fat-finger" the numbers and end up 500 feet (or a mile!) from where you're supposed to be. :laughing:

Remember this ... we all started at zero! And some geocaching lessons are learned through the school of hard knocks, but you can learn a lot from us weary battle-worn veterans! :laughing:

Happy Trails!

Some useful advice here from Moosiegirl, so I am moving this thread over to the GPS Units and Software Forum. The thread doesn't relate specifically to buying or selling a particular GPS Unit. I think other newcomers would benefit from reading the advice here. :)

THANX, YALL. I won an auction today on ebay. $39 for a Garmin 48. Is this good enough?

Yes, that is a great choice. Boy you really cut a heck of a deal there. Cache on Garth!! :D:):)

From Garmin's very own web site: "The Garmin® GPS 48 defines a new standard in marine handheld navigation by taking the most popular marine handheld GPS receiver ever produced—the GPS 45—and incorporating several product enhancements.

The GPS 48 features a 12 parallel channel receiver for fast satellite acquisition and tight satellite lock, along with a marine database that graphically displays city locations and nautical navaids on the moving map. User-selectable waypoint symbols, proximity waypoint alarms, and Garmin's innovative TracBack® and Ezinit features round out this new leader in marine handheld GPS technology.

These features, combined with Garmin's user-friendly operating system, rugged water-resistant case, data protecting backup lithium battery, and 24-hour battery life set a new standard in marine handheld GPS navigation."

Edited by Team Cotati