Bluetooth Waypointing

I have an old mobile phone I don't use anymore that has bluetooth. I'm thinking of changing the device name to a GPS Coordinate and then leaving it permanently powered up in my front room and set up a waypoint for the intersection in front of my house. So in order to do the cache, you'd have to visit the waypoint, detect the bluetooth device with your own bluetooth device (most phones have bluetooth these days)...and you'd get the next coordinate.

Does this sound like a sensible method of setting up a waypoint or just a little over the top - only for the true geeks amongst us?

Geo-caching: Something that happens when you mix nerds and fresh air.

That's cool! I would love to see this in the wild!

The issue with bluetooth is that the range is very limited, approx 10 meters. It was designed for very short distances like wireless printers and wireless headsets. Make sure that cachers have access to locations were the signal is avaliable. If it is possible try to lock the phone down so no one can change the settings.

I have a multi cache called Wardrive (GCVRXP) that uses WiFi instead of bluetooth. I set up an old 802.11b router in my garage and changed the SSID to show the final waypoint coordinates. There is a guy in my area who did something with FRS too. Similar concepts, but different applications.

Good luck with this!

That's cool! I would love to see this in the wild!

The issue with bluetooth is that the range is very limited, approx 10 meters. It was designed for very short distances like wireless printers and wireless headsets. Make sure that cachers have access to locations were the signal is avaliable. If it is possible try to lock the phone down so no one can change the settings.

I have a multi cache called Wardrive (GCVRXP) that uses WiFi instead of bluetooth. I set up an old 802.11b router in my garage and changed the SSID to show the final waypoint coordinates. There is a guy in my area who did something with FRS too. Similar concepts, but different applications.

Good luck with this!

I have been considering this as well. A few things to consider:

1. Not all bluetooth phones are "discoverable" all the time. Most Motorola's have to be set before each pairing.

2. You need to get it closer to the street, and still have it plugged in. 33 feet is about right for most phones, and walls, trees, and cars can block that signal.

3. Consider getting a bluetooth dongle for your computer instead. Many are 1.2 with a range of about 100 feet or so, easier to reach.

GOOD LUCK!

OK...I think this may be a goer.

My phone is a Sony Ericsson Z1010 with quite a good range on it. Obviously I'd have to test it out up the road...

or...I could just set my wireless ap to a name as well...as I know that reaches about 100m right up the road (I live on a T-Intersection). The phone would be placed within 6m of the front fence...or as we're going to landscape the front...I could build it INTO the front fence. :-)

:)