Cache Pages Stored On A Laptop

Hi, I'm a newbie (only been an active cacher for a couple of months) and appologise if I'm asking this in the wrong area or it has been covered many times before.

I would like to combine holidays away in our caravan with geocaching.

Is it possible to download the cache pages for an area onto a laptop for use when away on holiday and unable to connect to the web? That would save me having to preplan our caching activities and printing them all out before we go.

Thanks

Edited by Saddlesore1000

As you're a premium member then the answer is yes.

You can set up a PQ (Pocket Query) via your account to download details of the caches in an area (max 500 per query) and then store them on your laptop for offline viewing using various software programs. The popular choice for that is GSAK. More info on that is available here

As you're a premium member then the answer is yes.

You can set up a PQ (Pocket Query) via your account to download details of the caches in an area (max 500 per query) and then store them on your laptop for offline viewing using various software programs. The popular choice for that is GSAK. More info on that is available here

Wow, thanks for coming back so quickly.

Will GSAK show all the info shown on the cahe page (cache size, full description, previous logs etc)?

Yes it will :ph34r:

Will GSAK show all the info shown on the cahe page (cache size, full description, previous logs etc)?

I've downloaded GSAK and it looks to be just what I'm after B) . I do have one problem though.

How do I get it to display the additional waypoints that are now appearing on more cache listings. One cache I've looked at (GCVW7J "Definitely Borderline") has the questions of a multicache listed with the additional waypoints but not in the main text. If GSAK can't show these then I'd be a bit stuck :laughing: .

Use the export function in GSAk to export HTML files. Store these on the pc and you'll all the info and photos.

Dave

Have you tried this ?

I just did a small test run, but did but see any pics exported with the HTML files.

Or am I missing something out B)

Looks like I was.

Note to self: Try looking at caches that include pics in the HTML :laughing:

Edited by stora

GSAK is set not to use the Additional Waypoints (GSAK terms them as "Child Waypoints") when opening a PQ.

You need to change this to use them and then it will display them no problem. Caches with Child Waypoints have their name written in bold to distinguish them.

You may find this Help File of use

There is a way of getting logs, co-ords, etc without being a premium member... Right click on the cache page, select View Source, then go to File, Save As, name the file as the cache and Bob's your uncle. To view the page as you'd see it online (ish) you need to rename the .txt file as a .htm or .html file. No links or photos get downloaded though, so it's a good idea to check if you need spoiler pix, etc.

Edited by Simply Paul
There is a way of getting logs, co-ords, etc without being a premium member... Right click on the cache page, select View Source, then go to File, Save As, name the file as the cache and Bob's your uncle. To view the page as you'd see it online (ish) you need to rename the .txt file as a .htm or .html file. No links or photos get downloaded though, so it's a good idea to check if you need spoiler pix, etc.

There is an option if your using Windows XP, to save as whole webpage.

Even better! I must get around to upgrading from 98. :anibad:

I was forced to do that a few months ago after a catastrophic boot failure, well it felt catastrophic at the time. Now I am fully up to date running Windows 2000. :P

Sadly this is true, but off topic so please ignore me, you were, well done then.