Is This Cache Legit? Can It Be Approved?

:laughing: The GeoJamboree 4 (GCT29Y) is held at a state park/campground here in Connecticut, and the ice cream man comes around thru the park daily! Could I have a cache/log book in the ice cream truck to be logged during the event, then plant the cache in the park after the event?

You would not have to purchase an ice cream to log this; Is it still concered commercial? I have no affliate with this man, just the toasted almond bars :laughing:

Just wanna have fun,

;) Leslie

Based on other caches that I have seen called commercial and not approved, that would be commercial and not approved.

Now you have me wondering if past dis-approvals can be used to guage current dis-approvals since vice versa is not supported in the guidelines.

In any event placing an event cache then listing it later for the great unwashed geocaching masses is perfectly viable and prefered.

:laughing: Oh My Goodness! My timing with this question may not be considered good with all the recent abuse at GW4. My question is in NO way affliated or inspired by/with the recent carp. Just wanting to have fun the legit way is why I asked. Just being pro-active.

Good grief Charlie Brown!

:laughing: Oh My Goodness! My timing with this question may not be considered good with all the recent abuse at GW4. My question is in NO way affliated or inspired by/with the recent carp. Just wanting to have fun the legit way is why I asked. Just being pro-active.

Yeah...did YOU walk into an unintended firestorm! :laughing:

I wasn't thinking of any current cache in the forums. Just one that I knew of that was listed and denied because it was inside a commercial business enterprise.

You can do exactly as you propose. For the event keep the cache in the truck and after the event meet normal listing rules.

My opinion is that the cache experience should be the same before and after for a cache. Thus the one on the truck is one cache and the one you hide later (even if the same container) being a different experience is a different cache.

Maybe put the event log in the truck just for kicks. You can hide another cache for attendees, give them first shot, then list it publicly.

Or make an event multi cache. The event prizes and difficulty are event only. Stage one is the truck stage two the final cache. After the event the swag is standard and stage one is now in a fixed location and the entire thing is listed per normal.

How about putting the "log" for your event cache in the truck? When we have events locally, we still have a "log" that everyone has to sign at the event. Sometimes the log is simply a sheet of paper on a table, other times it's a micro hidden somewhere in the location where we are meeting. Just put a note out that reminds all attendees that they need to "find" and "sign" the log. The log would exist only for the day of the event.

This could be an excellent way to have some fun to see who would be FTF ... perhaps you could even use FTF (and/or a random drawing of all those who "found" the log and signed it) as the basis for giving away a free ice cream bar or something.

How about putting the "log" for your event cache in the truck? When we have events locally, we still have a "log" that everyone has to sign at the event. Sometimes the log is simply a sheet of paper on a table, other times it's a micro hidden somewhere in the location where we are meeting. Just put a note out that reminds all attendees that they need to "find" and "sign" the log. The log would exist only for the day of the event.

This could be an excellent way to have some fun to see who would be FTF ... perhaps you could even use FTF (and/or a random drawing of all those who "found" the log and signed it) as the basis for giving away a free ice cream bar or something.

Caches like this are fun at an event just as something to do, but I doubt a temp, moving, commercial cache would actually get listed as such on GC.com, and if it was associated with a legit cache and logged online that way as some suggested I would be worried about this happening.

As a temp for the event itself, I would say it's perfectly OK...since temps do not necissarily need to meet the GC.com guidelines. If someone did that at an event I attended, I'd probably have a lot of fun finding the cache and spend way too much time deciding on what ice cream to get :laughing:

Setting it up on gc.com as a live cache: as long as it follows the standard GC.com listing rules (meaning it can't be located in the truck since truck is moving) I don't see a problem.

To me, the temp would be a fun thing to do at an event...and if you then hid the container later it would give me a reason to go back to that same park/area to get a find for the new cache. The event itself is one nice "find" because of all the people I would have met. There is no need for any "extra" smiley for any temps IMHO, since the temps are part of the fun of the event itself, not separate.

make sense? Basically, the ice cream cache would not be approved, but if it's only a temp and you have permission by the driver, I don't see why it couldn't be there for an event...just a cache like that shouldn't be logged on GC.com

*decides to stop rambling* :laughing:

Celticwulf

:) Oh My Goodness! My timing with this question may not be considered good with all the recent abuse at GW4. My question is in NO way affliated or inspired by/with the recent carp. Just wanting to have fun the legit way is why I asked. Just being pro-active.

This is geocaching - no fun allowed. Just read our forums.

:) Oh My Goodness! My timing with this question may not be considered good with all the recent abuse at GW4. My question is in NO way affliated or inspired by/with the recent carp. Just wanting to have fun the legit way is why I asked. Just being pro-active.

The idea sounds like a lot of fun, but the idea that people need to get a smiley to have fun is absurd. Why can't it be placed as a temporary event cache so people can have fun finding it and leave it at that?

Edited by briansnat

The difference between fun and un-fun is in the eye of the smiley-holder. At an event, this would be fun as a temporary activity, but I wouldn't want a find record of it, for a couple of reasons: First, it isn't a geocache, per se, and secondly, it does border on commercial/traveling/locationless. etc.

However, while listing it as a geocaching smiley wouldn't be appropriate, putting it in a roster of activities would be fun. I can have fun for fun's sake, even if it isn't sanctioned and rewarded.

I'd say go ahead and do it in your event.

Edited by Metaphor