Long Distance Multicaches

Came up with an idea for a long distance (<200km) multi/puzzle while travelling back from the 3rd East Anglian Cache Bash. I have been mulling over and developing the idea but before I went any further I thought I'd better check the feedback on other long distance caches (and give a couple a try) as I'm sure I have stumbled across a couple while on GcUK. However, tried to track them down tonight but no matter what I do I don't seem to be able to find them.

I did find another thread discussing long, long distance caches, and of course there are caches like Interception (Nation Wide) and Mushroom Madness but these involve tracking down TBs rather than being stages in a hunt. So can anyone suggest:

1. Some existing long distance caches (by foot, boat, car, horse ...) obviously distance is relatively elastic.
  2. Any positive or negative feedback on long distance hunts
  3. Would you be put off if a cache involved spending most of a day to find one cache?

Can't give away all my secrets but the idea would mean using public transport and a series of moderate puzzles that would only make sense as you proceed, rather than a long car bound stages between 35mm film tub micros (mind you there's an idea, I'm bagging the name Are We There Yet? :D:laughing::lol: )

I see no problem with a VERY long distance multi, might have to check with the approvers first though regards maintenance. I'm not sure though, that HAVING to take a particular public transport trip/route, is OK. It might be bordering on a commercial cache (in a sense). So long as there is an alternative route I don't see a problem and look forward to it :laughing: It won't be the first time I've travelled a long distance to do a cache.

Good luck with the cache, I'll keep an eye out for it :lol:

With regards to your point 3. I would have absolutely no objection to having to take a full day to do the cache. In fact it would make it a good challenge and I think a lot of people would perhaps do it as a "milestone" cache.

I am now intrigued :D keep me posted, even if it means using the PM service.

Edited by Nediam

I'm not sure though, that HAVING to take a particular public transport trip/route, is OK. It might be bordering on a commercial cache (in a sense). So long as there is an alternative route I don't see a problem and look forward to it :laughing: It won't be the first time I've travelled a long distance to do a cache.

No I had accounted for that, it would be perfectly possible to do by car, just longer, more awkward, expensive and create a larger ecological footprint. Mind you all the trees they would have to plant to offset their carbon load could create more Woodland Trust opportunities! :D:lol:

I'm not sure though, that HAVING to take a particular public transport trip/route, is OK. It might be bordering on a commercial cache (in a sense). So long as there is an alternative route I don't see a problem and look forward to it :laughing: It won't be the first time I've travelled a long distance to do a cache.

No I had accounted for that, it would be perfectly possible to do by car, just longer, more awkward, expensive and create a larger ecological footprint. Mind you all the trees they would have to plant to offset their carbon load could create more Woodland Trust opportunities! :D:lol:

Then I, personally, see no problems :lol:

Good luck with your cache, hope it all works out well and i look forward to seeing it :D

Came up with an idea for a long distance (<200km) multi/puzzle while travelling back from the 3rd East Anglian Cache Bash. I have been mulling over and developing the idea but before I went any further I thought I'd better check the feedback on other long distance caches (and give a couple a try) as I'm sure I have stumbled across a couple while on GcUK. However, tried to track them down tonight but no matter what I do I don't seem to be able to find them.

This one will take you at least three days and probably somewhere between 100 - 150 miles to complete (judging by the logs it's received). A lot of effort for just 1 'point' but most finders seen to think it was worth it :sad:

There's a sort of rule that new caches need to have co-ords on the page within a few miles of the actual cache box's position, so that TB mileage's are accurate, you can locate the general area of a cache by area searches, etc. But there's nothing to stop you sending someone from Point A to a far flung Point B (to C, D, E, whatever) before returning them somewhere close to A. I'd suggest you put a distance/time suggestion on the cache page too. Along with any appropriate attribute icons.

Some older caches have co-ords in the sea to keep their final location super-secret but I'm not sure if this is allowed/recommended anymore.

Edited by Simply Paul

There's a sort of rule that new caches need to have co-ords on the page within a few miles of the actual cache box's position, so that TB mileage's are accurate....

One of the Approver/Reviewers was a bit concerned about this point on a cache of mine. We had a chat on-line and decided the best way round it was to post a big note on the cache page asking cachers NOT to place TB's in the cache. The fact that it's a micro also helped :sad:

There's a sort of rule that new caches need to have co-ords on the page within a few miles of the actual cache box's position, so that TB mileage's are accurate, you can locate the general area of a cache by area searches, etc. But there's nothing to stop you sending someone from Point A to a far flung Point B (to C, D, E, whatever) before returning them somewhere close to A. I'd suggest you put a distance/time suggestion on the cache page too. Along with any appropriate attribute icons.

Some older caches have co-ords in the sea to keep their final location super-secret but I'm not sure if this is allowed/recommended anymore.

I have a cache where the quoted co-ordinates are N 51° 53.700' E 001° 28.850'. You'll get very wet feet if you try to walk to it. However, it's not just any old point in the North Sea, it's a very specific point in the North Sea. Although the cache is not actually at that location, I emailed the 'Head of State' and had a very nice reply giving me full permission to use it as a virtual location. My request for permission to visit and place a cache there, however, was politely declined :ph34r:

I had no problem with our esteemed reviewers when I submitted it for approval (with an explanation, of course) :ph34r:

A potential problem with long distance multi's is that the cache setter must make sure that if one leg of the multi goes missing it does not prevent the seeker getting to the final cache. There is nothing more frustrating to find a few micros and then determine the next stage is missing and so cannot complete the series!

Personally I believe that if you find a micro you should be rewarded with a 'find'.

Peter

lthough the cache is not actually at that location, I emailed the 'Head of State' and had a very nice reply giving me full permission to use it as a virtual location.

I've been hunting for Red October on GcUK but unfortunately there seems to be a bug. If you look at the pull down menu on the Seek A Cache page then the Principality of Sealand seems to be missing:

sealand.jpg

Also Pharisee I think you need to get back in touch with Crown Prince Michael as they seem to have left GeoCaching off there list of international sporting activities. Given that your saying that GCHVJG is a virtual cache and it is visible from both Halycon Days and Concrete Chocolate, does that mean I can now log it as found? <_<:lol::(

My brother lives in the US and found a cache titled something like "West to East" - the first part is in Connecticut and gives the final coordinates which are in Berkshire. Between us we'll crack it.

Apparently there's a similar one but working the other way around,so perhaps we'll get that one too.