The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

Well Man U, beat Hull.

That's a big ring-a-ding-ding for Zoomlens! It occured in the 1970 and George Best was the first person to score , Dennis Law was the first person to miss a penalty in a shootout in England.

Edited by chizu

Ok then.

Which game was invented by someone who by the time he died was an alumnus of Brasenose College Oxford, had been chaplain of St George's, Albemarle Street, London and rector of St Clement Danes in The Strand?

And who was he?

If it makes it any easier, he died in the south of France in 1872 and his grave is at Menton in the Cote D'Azur.

Which game was invented by someone who by the time he died was an alumnus of Brasenose College Oxford, had been chaplain of St George's, Albemarle Street, London and rector of St Clement Danes in The Strand?

And who was he?

Rugby? If it is, then the "who was he?" would have to be William Web Ellis

If it makes it any easier, he died in the south of France in 1872 and his grave is at Menton in the Cote D'Azur.

No, that doesn't make it any easier :blink::unsure:

Edited by Nediam

[Rugby? If it is, then the "who was he?" would have to be William Web Ellis

No, that doesn't make it any easier :grin::unsure:

Oh. that was quick :blink: I guess the link was too close. NEXT!!!!

Washington DC 39.91N 77.02W

Marty, I'm not disputing the answer, but am surprised at the co-ords that you cite for DC. I was there last week and it is, in my experience a degree and a half further south than quoted. So, just for interest sake, I have put those co-ords into google earth and it shows a point well to the north of the city! :laughing:

DG, Slightly off topic but you are of course correct - sorry :huh: . I got the co-ords off a website and a few of them are a bit out, but not as much as Washington. This just goes to show you should never believe anything you read on the internet :huh:

Quite right - only the show is called Doctor Who.

Continuing this theme, apart from The Doctor and Susan (his granddaughter), who was the first person from Gallifrey that we met in the series?

The Meddling Monk in the 1st Doctor Story where he encounters him trying to change the outcome of the Battle of Hastings.

BTW, the Doctor has been refered to as Doctor Who a few times in the show's history (often nowadays as an in-joke) but once in all seriousness by WOTAN in "The War Machines", much to the fan's annoyance.

(I'm a closet Doctor Who maniac fan by the way!)

Katakana and Hirigana are the 'Japanese' scripts and Kanji is the one which look like Chinese ideograms. They all have the admirably practical disposition of being written either side to side or top to bottom, whichever fits the page best and looks prettiest.

The fourth one is Romanji which is basically the same alphabet as our own.

Katakana and Hirigana are the 'Japanese' scripts and Kanji is the one which look like Chinese ideograms. They all have the admirably practical disposition of being written either side to side or top to bottom, whichever fits the page best and looks prettiest.

The fourth one is Romanji which is basically the same alphabet as our own.

DING to Forester!

Hiragana is used mainly for grammar markers, or particles (things like "on", "of", "to") katakana is the japanese way of writing out western words incorporated into japanese, such as "computer" or "coffee"). Hiragana and katakana used to be just regional ways of writing, but their current usage was standardised in the late 19th century. Kanji is used in a similar way to chinese ideograms, and often the same ideograms are used. Interestingly, hiragana and katakana, whilst being a lot simpler than kanji are derived from kanji, supposedly by bored japanese housewives in the 10th century or so.

As Forester points out, japanese writing often goes top to bottom. The lines are then read right to left. When the script is horizontal, however, it is read left to right.

Can someone explain the rules of the game to Eckythoomp please?

What is the question?

Actually I think the question has been set, answered and confirmed with the biggest ding (admitably in something like latin) :D It's over to freespirit1402 to set the next question. Please... we are getting withdrawl symptoms. C's a quivering wreak in the corner as she is at home today and needs something to distract her :D

Helen

Can someone explain the rules of the game to Eckythoomp please?

What is the question?

Actually I think the question has been set, answered and confirmed with the biggest ding (admitably in something like latin) B) It's over to freespirit1402 to set the next question. Please... we are getting withdrawl symptoms. C's a quivering wreak in the corner as she is at home today and needs something to distract her :D

Helen

Hi Helen,

Thanks for enlightening Chris with some of the finer points of the game B):D:D

As an interim diversion whilst, Freespirit is away:

What was Lancaster and Bell's contribution to 18/19th century society?