Anyone Doing This On Horses

Sand-Man

Yes, I've done it on a horse. Wait, what are we talking about....???

Seriously, there's a GREAT State Park near us that is horse friendly but sadly we don't have them anymore. We lost the last one just before we started caching.

If I did still have them, though.....

Finding horse-friendly caches depends a great deal on your area. Here in western Montana most caches outside the cities and towns are on forest land open to equestrians. Perhaps your local riding clubs can point you towards areas with appropriate trails.

Premium members can search, via pocket query, for caches having the "Horses" attribute. Regular members can be alert for this icon when viewing cache pages.

horses-yes.gif

I just archived one of my horse-friendly caches. :laughing: Its state park permit expired. If I hide another one along that horse trail, from user feedback I learned that I need to hide the cache a bit closer to the trail. People were reluctant to leave their horse unattended while doing the required 250 foot bushwack.

Sometimes I cache on my horse. Its all about being familiar with an area where a cache is hidden that you're interested in finding to see if the area is accessible for horses and that there are no posted signs saying no horses. I interviewed some people last year for an article about geocaching on horseback and one family on vacation in Hawaii rented some horses and found a cache. Keep your eye out for a group called Equicaching or Equicache or something to that effect. They have purchased the domain name but I don't remember which and it should be up and running sometime this year. If you know of caches that are accessible by horseback you can list them there when they go live.

If you are in southern Ohio, I can give you a list of quite a few horse accessible caches. Also, watch for two new caches placed just for horsemen. They will be up in the trees at rider height, so hikers will need to be tall or carry something to stand on! Does that make it a 5 terrain?

My wife and I went on a 5-day horse trek through the Dingle Peninsula in Ireland. I had a couple of caches I was planning on getting, but the fog, wind and rain got so bad it would have been impossible to find. I could barely see my wifes horse 15 feet in front of me. It was blast though, and I'd do it again in a second :cry:

Combining this with my other hobbies would be loads of fun. Camping, riding and caching might be a good combination. ANyone else doing this? How would you identify the caches that can be hunted from a horse?

Hi there. Just wanted to pass on some information if you're still interested in or are continuing to do Equine Geocaching. There's a great site out there www.amazingbackcountry.net whose focus is specifically geocaching on horseback. It's free to join and includes a worldwide trail database and interactive rider forums. Check it out!

I have a few caches on horse trails in a local park. http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/wilderness-road.shtml