Stuck With Permission Letter

Ok so I'm working on a letter for permission to place a cache and am stuck at what else to include. Any suggestions, this is what I have so far...

Dear Land Manager,

My name is _______________ and I am a Geo-Cacher. I am writing to you in hopes of gaining your permission to place an international game piece within your property limits. The game piece is called a cache and is usually a container with varying sizes from as small as a 35 mm film canister to a large seal tight Tupperware type container. The game is called GeoCaching by most though some also use the terms Terra caching and Geo stashing. Family fun oriented people play it all over the world. The game itself consists of hiding and finding these caches. Once a game piece or cache is hidden the hider then places its longitude and latitude co-ordinates on the Internet at a site set up specifically for this game, www.geocaching.com. Other cachers then set out to find this new piece to the game. There are several rules to this game in order to safe keep the lands the caches are placed on and as a placer I am more than willing to abide by any rules you as a land manager may have as well. Caches generally consist of a logbook for the finders to sign as well as small trinkets and trade items, usually kid type items. A Cacher will sign the log, and then if they choose to, trade items within the cache taking one and leaving something in its place.

As I said I would like to gain your permission to set such a game piece within your property. I would be more than happy to provide you with as much information as I can and can even set this game piece up so that you can watch it’s visitors and notations. Placing this game piece on your property not only continues this game but it will also bring many people to your location that may not have otherwise known it existed, perhaps even coming back to visit another time. Placing game pieces in this area also attracts people to our beautiful city and adds to the economy.

It might be clearer to include the description and details about geocaching in a separate enclosure and not in the main body of the letter. That way a letter could be specific to the land manager and what you are asking for won't be obscured by the need to explain the sport. A good handout I've seen used effectively is the Geocaching University Let's Go Geocaching brochure

Is it possible to meet with the land manager in person? You probably would get better results by handing them the brochure and talking with them directly to answer any questions rather than trying to cover the range of possible questions in a letter. Maybe your letter should include the brochure and just ask for a meeting to discuss it?

Waaaay too long. Don't explain geocaching in general. Explain YOUR cache.

Where it is, and what (container) it is and how it's hidden. That's paragragh one.

Every manager I've ever dealt with also wants a list of intial contents. (Weird, but true).

Then you can go into a general explanation of geocaching - something the manager can easily NOT read if they don't want to.

This is a general example of my inquiry letter/email . I'll usually enclose the brochure from geocacher-u.com or hand it to them when I meet them.

Dear Mr. XXX

I have a new hobby called geocaching. Geocaching is a world wide scavenger hunt that is played through the internet. People hide caches around the globe and then post the coordinates for the cache on the internet so that anyone with a hand held GPS (global positioning service) can then hunt for them. A cache consists of a notebook where you can record your find once you have located the cache and it may also have some other small articles such as toys that children can trade for.

It is recommended that all geocachers get permission from the owners or agencies managing the property where the caches will be hidden. I was wondering if you would be willing to allow me to place a cache near XXXlocationXXX. I am sure many geocachers would enjoy visiting that area because of XXXthe unique and interesting features of the areaXXX. Caches are best when they are placed in areas that have something of interest or beauty. Many people say the best part of caching is the hunt, being able to score another find as well as the surprise of going to a picturesque little park or landmark in their area that they previously didn't know about. Parents like taking their kids geocaching because it involves hiking and being outdoors away from the TV. Geocaching organizations and hosted events can be found throughout the world. Information on geocaching can be found at www.geocaching.com.

Please let me know of your decision. I can be reached at XXXphone numberXXX if you' like to hear more. Thank you.

If possible, it might be better to visit the land manager in person. It's much easier to toss away a letter than it is to ignore a person standing in front of you. Plus, when you see someone face to face, you immediately begin building a characterization of them (which could be good or bad). If you're dressed in business clothes, you might be taken more seriously than if you are dressed in a "Legalize It" T-shirt and sandals, for example.

Anyway, I realize a personal meeting isn't always practical, but it might help you gain permission easier than a letter. Something to think about.

Also, you might want to mention the geocaching web site so the person could do more research if they wanted.

Kudos for asking permission to begin with though! Too many caches are placed without such consideration to land managers or future finders...

Edited by DocDiTTo

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I'll more or less use the letter as a sort of que card, only I wont be reading from it. I was sort of thinking that if I explained it as a game piece it would be recieved a bit better. I live in SC and right now placing caches isn't the easiest due to a proposed law banning geocaching (we're working on it). Thanks again and wish me luck! I need a new cache hide soon!

Based on my experience I would not use a letter. A letter is imperssonal and easy to put on your desk and ignore then forget.

If I want permission I go ask directly. Then I'm there to gage their reaction, answer any questions, show them what caching is and so on. When you are there in person the question is on the table for resolution. People are more inclined to do more for the people they meet directly than the people who write letters. It works on me, it works for me.

I put this one together a while a go and some people liked it. Criminal has his own version that I like even better.:

Dear _______:

I'm writing to request permission to place a geocache in _______. If you are

not familiar with the term geocache, it's the focal point of a sport called geocaching.

Geocaching entails a person hiding a small container (the geocache), usually

containing a log book and trinkets, then using a Global Positioning System receiver

(GPSr) to mark the longititude and latitude of the geocache. The coordinates are

then published on the Internet to allow others to find it.

Geocaching is a fun, family oriented activity that has the benefit of getting

people outdoors and introducing them to areas of historic, natural, or scenic interest.

Managers of many parks and nature preserves have determined that geocaching is a

beneficial, low impact activity and encourage the sport on their lands. They see the

additional visitors and increased exposure that geocaching brings as a plus.

Similarly, geocachers often discover exciting new places through the sport,

while getting exercise and gaining an appreciation for these areas.

I believe that ________ is one of the special places that would be of interest

to geocachers and would like to explore the possibility of my placing a

geocache there. Please contact me at_________ to discuss this.

Thank You,

Here's a generic form out there looking for permission:

created by rsgeek

Hi,

I'm a local resident and have started Geocaching as a hobby. I've just got a quick

question for you -- is Geocaching a restricted activity in JURISDICTION?

If you're not familiar with it, Geocaching is a relatively new non-consumptive / non-

destructive (i.e., no digging or other terrain damage allowed) activity of treasure hunting using

GPS receivers and involves hiding small containers of trinkets here & there. More information

is available on this web site:

http://www.geocaching.com

And their FAQ list is here:

http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

Anyway, I just wanted to check on this before hiding any cache(s) in JURISDICTION.

Thanks in advance for your time,