Uk Travel Bugs

In a fit of enthusiasm, we sent off for some travel bug tags.....and now we're wondering what to do with them!

I'm interested in what ideas people have seen in the UK for different missions for travel bugs? The most interesting one we've come across was a "do it yourself" joke book, which we were asked to add our favourite joke bugs to, and then pass on. We liked that one a lot. :blink: Do most just aim to travel randomly and cover as much distance as they can?

We were also wondering how safe a life travel bugs have in this country? If we set them off with a particular mission in mind, I accept that they may not make it - but do they at least have a reasonable chance of not going completely missing in action?

We're moving house in a few months to a different area of the country and we'd wondered about releasing a bug or two heading to somewhere nearish to our new house, and tracking their progress, partly as a way of helping our kids to get their heads around where we are going. Does this sound a vaguely workable mission for a bug?

Any general thoughts or advice on the subject appreciated!

(PS, I have been reading the main Travel Bug area of the forum - but I started this thread here, because I was interested to see how things were in the UK, rather than worldwide - hope that's ok)

Love the idea of sending the furniture via geocaches :o We're going to need some pretty big tupperware to get the settee in, though!

If the bug has a mission then maybe not, as the CoTM encourages the grab and drop mentality.

Moote

Sorry, you've lost me. (Put it down to newbie ignorance :blink: ) What does CoTM stand for? I haven't met that before.

If the bug has a mission then maybe not, as the CoTM encourages the grab and drop mentality.

Moote

As COTM specifcally excludes counting TBs which are merely grabbed and dropped, I do not think so!

TBs are as safe here as anywhere. I always tend to worry about mine ones in the USA most, I admit. The main thing is to not worry unduly, as if the worst does happen, you can send out a replacement using the TB tracking number again. Never put your most valuable possessions out as TBs, that way it will be less painful if they vanish. Dont release anything that you will be gutted to lose.

Moote

Well, it certainly encourages the grab mentality, but as you only get points for picking up a bug, it doesn't encourage quick dropping, and grabbers can help the TB along with its mission as mich as they can. Of course, putting the TB in a 1/1 cache will help others help it along even easier.

Back on topic, before we totally loose of our noob :blink:

We have... errrr... one or two tb's :o most are being posted from cacher to cacher, but still I have lost 4 of those thanks to Royal Mail.

Another 3 of ours are personal bugs, my youngest son Daniel, our jeep and Jess, we also have 2 or 3 travelling free, (through caches) one is in the UK, one is USA and one is undecided :)

I like watching our bugs and the mileage ect, but I would reiterate what Alibags said don't attach anything to you bug you would be upset to lose, I think it's the same as everything else down to luck how your bugs work out.

I do think travel bugs with a mission are easier.

Set one away and have fun (you might end up with as many as us one day) :)

Mandy :)

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

Release them! I only have one bug and a couple of coins but so far it's been great watching them wander around. As for type of mission then sending them on ahead of you to your new place should work well and you can always change the mission to something new once they get there :blink:

We have loads out travelling and today found what we think will be our first missing in action - It was a coin, but the cache was archived when it was found by a land-owner and kept because it was placed without permission. :blink:

That said, that's one out of quite a few, and as has been said before, the UK feels much safer that the USA for poor wondering mites, so - Release Them!

:o

Bambi.

Moote

Well, it certainly encourages the grab mentality, but as you only get points for picking up a bug, it doesn't encourage quick dropping, and grabbers can help the TB along with its mission as mich as they can. Of course, putting the TB in a 1/1 cache will help others help it along even easier.

From what I have witnessed, bugs are picked up and dropped anywhere on the next cache outing reading the bug page for missions is of little importance.

Moote

Actually just been to the CoTM site and it is Bugs moved, not Bugs grabbed

I think the problem is that many TBs have no obvious mission, so when you find one you have to decide whether to move it on or not

I always move TBs on - if I get back and read the mission and realise I am going in the wrong direction I usually drop it off back where I found it or reasonably nearby

Clearly that cannot apply to foreign caches!

If you really want your TB to go somewhere or do something in particular attach a laminated mission card to it

That's what I have done with all of mine - and they are all still happily wandering around

I think it's wrong of Moote to make sweeping remarks like

From what I have witnessed, bugs are picked up and dropped anywhere on the next cache outing reading the bug page for missions is of little importance.

Personally... most cachers I know think about what the aim is and if they can help them, then they do... if they can't then they'll release them again on the next outing.

Personally, I think that if someone grabbed my TB and then dropped it at the next cache outing, then fine - it's moved, that's what they are supposed to do, and if it's been dropped quickly, then the cacher obviously cannot help achieve it's aims.

Try not to make sweeping statements Milton!!

I think the main thing is to keep things in perspective. Most people will not move a bug against its mission but some will. I've got quite a few and sometimes you think "why has the TB been moved there?" but that's the way it goes.

I've cached in quite a few countries and I have to say (as a person who likes the US) that the US is the worst country for TB's going missing or not being logged properly.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. We've decided we're going to go for it, and release some bugs to see if they can make their way to Durham. We were going to just do one each for the kids....but then we grown ups decided that we wanted to play as well ^_^ (Why should kids get all the fun anyway!)

If you see them out there...... do move them northwards :) They'll be starting out somewhere around Bradford.