Garmin Feature Suggestion

I figure Garmin reads these forums occasionally, and I know if I send the suggestion directly I'll get the "we can't accept suggestions" spiel, so I'll post it here.

I was thinking it would be nice if the Garmin had a gridlock feature. This would function in some manner similar to as follows:

If you're navigating a route and the GPS notices you're travelling at a low speed or have lots of starts and stops, it could pop up with a dialog that says "You appear to be in heavy traffic. Should an alternate route be calculated?" Selecting yes would have it plan an alternate route using back streets. This would be very handy. Heck, it could even read the clock when planning a route and avoid taking major roads during rush hour. <_<

They USED to have a "Detour" feature whereby you could tell the GPSr to find an alternate route. That was on the GPS V, but it is not on any of the newer models. I doubt very seriously that they would go so far as to prompt you when they won't even let you tell it you want an alternate.

For the 60 CSX: "Enroute Goto" should be implemented, this is of big help.

Other units are able to do that.

That means, if a route navigation is started, it should be at any time during navigation possible to press the "Find" key and enter another target. After reaching the other target (regardless if it is a point of the background route or not) the route navigation should take over again directing the user to the next nearest routepoint and then resuming the route normally.

As mentioned, this feature "enroute goto" is available in other GPS units.

They USED to have a "Detour" feature whereby you could tell the GPSr to find an alternate route. That was on the GPS V, but it is not on any of the newer models. I doubt very seriously that they would go so far as to prompt you when they won't even let you tell it you want an alternate.

Yes, I remember & used to use that feature.

I did question [here] about that feature NOT being available in my 60c?? <_<

Selecting yes would have it plan an alternate route using back streets. This would be very handy. Heck, it could even read the clock when planning a route and avoid taking major roads during rush hour.

That is an excellent intuitive feature that would NO DOUBT be useful! :P

I agree, I just upgraded from a gpsV and I miss my "add via to route" feature and my "hit find twice to go to the HOME waypoint" feature. I never used detour on my V and I'm not sure how it would work..I know you told it to stay off your normal route for "X" number of miles and then it would resume. I think my csx recalcluates fast enough that it is a good enough substitute for the detour option.

I want my VIA option though!!! Garmin..doyouhearme!!!

Yes, I remember & used to use that feature.

I did question [here] about that feature NOT being available in my 60c?? <_<

Selecting yes would have it plan an alternate route using back streets. This would be very handy. Heck, it could even read the clock when planning a route and avoid taking major roads during rush hour.

That is an excellent intuitive feature that would NO DOUBT be useful! :P

I'd like to see Garmin 60CS ignore points on a route until it has reached

those prior, currently where routes overlap/run close, u have to create umpteen individual routes, and what is the distance/criteria for knowing when interference will occur?

Be a good idea to provide a wrist strap that does not slice through the plastic. Anyone got an idea for a repair?

I think your problem is rather that you don't have an automotive GPS.

My StreetPilot c550 has both the detour button, the ability to include a via-point on the fly and reception of RDS-TMC messages (Traffic information), which allows it to selectively avoid traffic problems.

But it's not good at all in the woods.

I want my VIA option though!!! Garmin..doyouhearme!!!

[

I would certainly like a via option myself on my 76CSX...

I think I found an indicator of how full the data card is over on the Track Setup screen. Would like to know if it works that way for others. When I select Tracks I get a screen like this:

Tracklog.jpg

When I go to track setup, at the bottom of the screen is an option called

Data Card Setup

Tracksetup.jpg

Select that and you will go to a screen that has a check box for Logging tracks to the Data Card. Below that is a bar that gives you a percentage... I am guessing that this is how full the card is. Am I right?

logtracktodatacard.jpg

If I am right then one of my feature suggestions would be to make this screen a little more easily accessible. It was not intuitive for me to find it there. Juat putting a screen with Data Card Info that would tell you how big the card is and then this little bar graph would be a lot better.

I also am confused a bit. Maybe this is a bug that needs fixing. Why would the tracks page show 99% space used up when I have store to the card selected and I have a ton of space on the card available?

Are some tracks stored on the unit and some stored on the card?

Edited by dhbaird

If you check the box "log track to card", it continually logs the active track to the data card until it is full with no limit on track size. At the same time, it is logging to internal memory, but wraps when it reaches 10000 points.

Thanks... did not know that it was storing the tracks in two places at once.

Do you think that I am correct about the bar graph telling how much space is used on the data card? I know others were asking how they could tell.