Paperless Caching - The Search Engine Still Isn't Working!

Hi all,

I'm looking for some help. I recently treated myself to a Mio A201, on which I now have Memory map. I want to use this for off-rading and geocaching so i'm sorted for the first of these.

However, geocaching is a different matter. I've successfully downloaded GSAK and I've tried to run a pocket query but that has not been successful (issues have been discussed on the forum).

What do I need to do to get one or better still some local caches onto the Pocket pc (ideally as .gpx files - as these are best??) and get it to take me there.

Given enough time on the web I could probably sort this out by myself but I want to go out to play ASAP. Ideally, solutions should be restricted to freeware.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanx, David

Right - some progress.

I've now managed to run a pocket query and download all the information ontomy PDA - startling progress for a computer fool like me!!! How can I choose one of the caches and get the GPS (which ispart of the pocket PC) to take me there??

In order to have the space to fit GPXSonar on the PPC I had to delete my MM stuff - is this the problem??

David

Edited by Family Miller

Yep - cearly made some progress - now have MM and GPXsonar back on the PPC so I just have to get them talking to each other.

I guess what I'm really after is what I used to have on my Garmin i.e. that ability to type in the coords / name of the cache and then get it to direct me there using a (compass) arrow and countdown of the distance. Is this possible with what I've got or do i need another bit of software???

Any help much appreciated - thanx, David

(nearly there now :laughing::laughing:;):D:D

If you've got Memeory Map on the PDA, simply tap and hold on the waypoint flag/icon and then in the pop up menu, tap on "Goto Mark", two windows will pop up, in one it says "tap and hold to select ...", just choose bearing/Dist and the two windows will give you and arrow and a distance.

Edited by CrazyL200

Yep - cearly made some progress - now have MM and GPXsonar back on the PPC so I just have to get them talking to each other.

I guess what I'm really after is what I used to have on my Garmin i.e. that ability to type in the coords / name of the cache and then get it to direct me there using a (compass) arrow and countdown of the distance. Is this possible with what I've got or do i need another bit of software???

Any help much appreciated - thanx, David

(nearly there now :laughing::laughing:;):D:D

OK,

So you now have GPX Sonar working on your ppc.

This is however just a portable database so that you can manage your waypoints on the hoof and get access to offline cache pages.

MM is your digital map which if your GPS is working properly will show you accurately where you are.

For your ppc to work in a similar way to your Garmin portable GPSr you will need to install yet another piece of software, something like GPS Dash or BeeLine GPS

I have not tried either of the above programs as I prefer to use my GPSr whilst out and about.

I carry my PPC in my bag in case I need to refer to the cache page or MM for guidance.

There is a script for GSAK which will do away for the need for GPXSonar and will integrate all the offline cache pages with MM using different icons for all the cache types on your MM mapping.

However it will still not point you in the right direction like a GPSr.

Hope this helps rather than hinders.

Cheers

Dave

If you've got Memeory Map on the PDA, simply tap and hold on the waypoint flag/icon and then in the pop up menu, tap on "Goto Mark", two windows will pop up, in one it says "tap and hold to select ...", just choose bearing/Dist and the two windows will give you and arrow and a distance.

Never tried that before :laughing: , so just have...

Seems very crude but works exactly like you say.

Don't think I will be leaving my 60cs at home just yet. :laughing:

Not sure Beeline would be any better mind.

Worth knowing about though at least until I get a GPSr with the SirFIII chipset inside.

My BT GPS works well under thick foliage so it might well come in useful in summer.

Cheers

Dave

Never tried that before :laughing: , so just have...

Seems very crude but works exactly like you say.

Don't think I will be leaving my 60cs at home just yet. :laughing:

Not sure Beeline would be any better mind.

Worth knowing about though at least until I get a GPSr with the SirFIII chipset inside.

My BT GPS works well under thick foliage so it might well come in useful in summer.

Cheers

Dave

Always good as a back up and for those moments when you doubt the GPSr is telling the truth ;)

Depending on the quality of the receiver connected (or in built) could be as accurate or better than some handheld units. Crude, yes, effective, yes.

As with most pointing devices, you need to be moving for the arrow to work though, no substitute for an electronic compass.

Cachemate and CacheNav? You select the cache you want to do from the CacheMate database and then export it to CacheNav where you get your arrow and distance. It'll cost you £4.91 for CacheMate, but it is worth it in the long run.

Not 100% sure about manually entering waypoint co-ords into CacheNav as we tend to use the Garmin for that ... but I'm pretty sure it is possible (I will stand corrected though! :laughing::laughing: )

Thanks Guys, with your help I've downloaded a 30-day trial verson of the Beeline thing and that appears to be working. However, if I want it beyond the month I'llhave to fork out $30 so i'll check out Cachemate beforehand.

cheers,

I'm sure it would have taken me atleast a week to work all that out.

In answer to the paper vs paperless debate - have you seen the price of printer cartridges these days??!!!!!

David

As a happy as a pig in :huh::huh:<_<:)

In answer to the paper vs paperless debate - have you seen the price of printer cartridges these days??!!!!!

David

As a happy as a pig in :huh::huh:<_<:)

Ream of paper £1.50 Boot sale.

My epson C66 carts £2.00 each

My HP Photosmart 7960 That I only use for photos. No: 59 grey cart £0.99 postage £2,00 ebay. HP 58 colour £8.00 incl post. Ebay.

David

As a happy as a pig in <_<:huh::huh::)

My HP Photosmart 7960 That I only use for photos. No: 59 grey cart £0.99 postage £2,00 ebay. HP 58 colour £8.00 incl post. Ebay.

destruction of rain forest................... $1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Cachemate is well worth the money (~ £4.50), I have all 9500+ UK caches loaded on my PDA and ti can search for them in seconds, Also it can be integrated into your PDA's GPASr to give you a pointy thing ;)

Moote

OPINION or FACT :huh:

oops sorry wrong thread! :)

BTW what is a "GPASr"

answers on a post card...

OK i'm leaving now...too much wine and nothing better to do. <_<

:huh:

Cheers

Dave

Except... paper is usually made from softwood i.e. pine..... rather than hardwoods from the rainforest.

I stand to be corrected...

Yes and in this country many native forests were destroyed and converted into pine (regimented) plantations

Can I express my opinion about the search engine on here, I'm sure those with more knowledge will correct me. In my opinion if 3 word searches were allowed then the search table in the database would be grow to an unmanageable size and take longer for searches to be performed and could even make the site grind to a halt.

David

As a happy as a pig in :D:D:ph34r::D

destruction of rain forest................... $1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

When done with Sheets go into the recycle bin.

So what about the electicity needed to recharge the batteries in PDAs? Power stations, burning whatever fossel fuel,

Emissions from powerstations, bigger hole in the ozone layer. :laughing:

So what about the electicity needed to recharge the batteries in PDAs? Power stations, burning whatever fossel fuel,

Paper has a finite recycle path every time it is recycled it's fibred length shortens and there becomes a point that it is only good for burning in the Power stations you mention above.

Paper production also uses a large amount of energy.

How do you get the inks off recycled paper? With bleaching agents.

Paper is not as green as you think. I have the equivalent of 9000+ caches on my PDA, and this can be updated whenever I require, so no need to worry about any cache sheet, or flicking through to find I have not printed that page.

Paper has a finite recycle path every time it is recycled it's fibred length shortens and there becomes a point that it is only good for burning in the Power stations you mention above.

Paper production also uses a large amount of energy.

How do you get the inks off recycled paper? With bleaching agents.

Paper is not as green as you think. I have the equivalent of 9000+ caches on my PDA, and this can be updated whenever I require, so no need to worry about any cache sheet, or flicking through to find I have not printed that page.

Ok what you say is good for anyone that travels around the country and has these caches to hand on their PDA.

For reasons I do not travel too far for my caching. On friday I did 3 caches just a few miles from home.

So All I had was 3 sheets that were the cache info and on the back was printed the OS map with the cache marked.

I have tried loading one time caches on my Ipaq, plus I had the OS map of the area. What with my Altina Bluetooth gps RX linked to the Ipaq.

I found it was more difficult to use than my yellow etrex and the paper.

At times the Ipaq would not comunicate with the Altina. Frustrating it was.