Ooops!

We have just had a cache published, when I read it I realised that the coords were wrong, I made a typo on them. I did try to alter it but it would not let me. I have emailed the reviewer to inform them, do I disable it until it gets changed? I have added a note to the cache page saying the coord are wrong and put the new ones on the note. Now I am a litte worried that someone will go on a wild goose chase trying to find it at the wrong coords.

Lolly

Just looked at the cache page and our esteemed reviewers have already sorted it for you. :anibad:

It still says N 53° 32.929 W 002° 32.153

it should be

N53 32.929 W002 34.153

When I try to edit it myself it says there is too much difference between the coords and I need to contact the reviewer.

Its my own stupid fault for not rechecking what I typed...must be an age thing!!

From some postings in the dim and distant past I think the cache owner can only move the cache by a maximum amount. Two hundred metres springs to mind but I could be way off. The latitude for both positions is the same but the error in longitude is about 2200m. If you can cahenge the co-ords by 200m at a time then try changing the longitude to 002 32.334W. That is a 200m move. If that works, then just keep changing the longitude by a similar amount, ie 002 32.5151W, 002 32.6961W, etc until you get to the required position. Hopefully the reviewers will do it for you though!

From some postings in the dim and distant past I think the cache owner can only move the cache by a maximum amount. Two hundred metres springs to mind but I could be way off. The latitude for both positions is the same but the error in longitude is about 2200m. If you can cahenge the co-ords by 200m at a time then try changing the longitude to 002 32.334W. That is a 200m move. If that works, then just keep changing the longitude by a similar amount, ie 002 32.5151W, 002 32.6961W, etc until you get to the required position. Hopefully the reviewers will do it for you though!

Me do that?? OMG I would end up sticking it in another country if I did that haha.

I think I will wait for a reviewer to do it for me and hopefully soon before I get hate mail LOL. :anibad:

Quick question with the same theme. I want to add some cache listings but want to refine quite a bit (adding pictures etc etc) before asking a reviewer to look at them. I know I can un-tick the cache active flag to allow this.

My question is can I have free reign over changing the co-ords for the cache whilst it is still flagged as not active as I've not yet placed the caches but want to work on the text as it's cold and rainy outside. I've a good idea where the caches will go but obviously will not have the exact co-ords until I place them.

As long as you change stuff before you eventually tick the box for review, you can do what you like to it.

Once it's up for publishing, or been published, I believe the most you can change the co-ords by is 50 m.

If you've ticked the box for review and then decide that you want to make another change, you can un-tick the box again.... providing our super-fast reviewers haven't got to it first :(

As for changing co-ordinates after the cache has been published, I believe you can make changes up to a maximum of 0.1 miles (161 metres) before Mr Lactodorum or Mr Eckington need be involved.

As for changing co-ordinates after the cache has been published, I believe you can make changes up to a maximum of 0.1 miles (161 metres) before Mr Lactodorum or Mr Eckington need be involved.

The other day I needed to move the GCxxxx coordinates for a Mystery cache by 600 metres, as the final cache had moved quite a bit and so the parking spot needed to be changed.

I was expecting to be "denied" and need the reviewer, but I tried moving it 100 metres or so at a time (+.050 on lat and long) and I was able to do that quite easily.

So there are several possibilities:

1 You can move a cache N times 100 metres

2 You can move a Mystery (and/or certain other types?) more than a Traditional

3 There was a bug and I got lucky

Can the reviewers mayeb give us the whole truth?

The other day I needed to move the GCxxxx coordinates for a Mystery cache by 600 metres, as the final cache had moved quite a bit and so the parking spot needed to be changed.

I was expecting to be "denied" and need the reviewer, but I tried moving it 100 metres or so at a time (+.050 on lat and long) and I was able to do that quite easily.

The answer is No. 1 :(

However this "feature" allows you to bypass the normal checks that reviewers apply and is known about by TPTB. Changes are afoot to plug this "loophole" and once they have been made, woe betide anyone who gets caught trying this dodge :(:(

[quote name='Pharisee'

The answer is No. 1 :(

However this "feature" allows you to bypass the normal checks that reviewers apply and is known about by TPTB. Changes are afoot to plug this "loophole" and once they have been made, woe betide anyone who gets caught trying this dodge :D:(

Understandable, otherwise we could place caches, get them reviewed, then promptly move them to the site of another cache, defeating the 500 metre rule (or whichever it is). Not that I was planning on doing so! :( Good luck with closing the loophole! Will we be stopped from ANY changes do you know?

Understandable, otherwise we could place caches, get them reviewed, then promptly move them to the site of another cache, defeating the 500 metre rule (or whichever it is). Not that I was planning on doing so! ;) Good luck with closing the loophole! Will we be stopped from ANY changes do you know?

Well yes, but you can already change the entire text of the description, so for example you could place a traditional "on public land" with a nice innocent description, then once it's approved add a 500 metre offset revealing that the cache is in fact in the middle of a nuclear power station etc. So if people want to abuse things, they can, until the net-cops shop them at least.

Anyway, I find this "feature" to be a good thing: if I can move my cache 200 metres without hassling the reviewer using three steps, that seems fair enough. ;)

Of course you can make all sorts of changes to defeat the guidelines if you really want to ;)

However in my time as a reviewer I must have reviewed quite a few thousand caches and I can only think of on or two cases where cachers have deliberately flouted the system in this way. Sure there are a number of cases where people have innocently tried to change a cache type for instance but the vast majority of cachers are great people and play the game in the spirit it was intended ;)

As for the plans, you'll still be able to make changes, it's just there will be a much better "audit trail" so we'll know when it's happened.