My 2 Year Old "found" His First Cache.

Took 2 of my boys out yesterday. My 8 year old has gone with me before but this was the first time I took my 2 year old. It was an area I frequented when I was younger. About a half mile trek into the woods on a wide path. It was not my best idea to take the 2 year old on this particular hunt because it was pretty muddy and I carried him most of the way. We got to the area the cache was in. I put him down so I could look at my GPSr. He tripped on stick and landed on his butt. When I picked him up, he was sitting on the cache. I told him he found the treasure. He took a toy and left one of his own. Now all he talks about is going out to find treasure.

Mike

Very cool! So many parents these days don't do activities like this with their kids. I have always been very thankful that I have a dad that is an outdoorsman. He spent a lot of time with his boys taking them out in the woods teaching them things and also spending a lot of time with them fishing on the river. I have always said that teaching skills like this to little ones is something they will always appreciate for the rest of their lives.

He tripped on stick and landed on his butt. When I picked him up, he was sitting on the cache. I told him he found the treasure. He took a toy and left one of his own. Now all he talks about is going out to find treasure.

Mike

That is called "caching by the seat of your pants."

I take my six year old son with me whenever I go caching. He really has fun. We also hunt benchmarks, which he seems to enjoy as much or more.

Once, we were looking for a micro in a small urban parklike area and he wandered a few feet away. I was getting frustrated pawing through the bushes and such and I heard a clanking noise as he was lifting up the base of a flagpole. Without thinking, I said- "hey, don't do that, little buddy" and he put it back down.

I then thought about it and said "On second thought, do that again". Lo and behold, there it was.

He was pretty proud that he'd outfoxed his dad.

We take our 4 year old and 6 year old out with us all the time. We'll do a little research first, weeding out the long multi's and micros (they lose interest if there's no toys).

We'll get in the general area and let them have a look at the arrow and let them search. They always love opening the ammo can to see what's inside. :unsure:

The longest hike we've taken them on so far was 3 miles (1.5 in). They walked on their own the whole way, talking about the toys they hope to find IF we found the cache. When we got there, there was an ammo can hidden by a Yucca plant, covered by a few rocks. The kids searched, and search, then finaly decided to move a rock. The entire walk back, we heard 'vroom!!! vroom! eeeerrrrkkk!!! as they drove their new Hot wheels down the path and into their collection (we traded swag, of course).

Funny thing is, now 3 months after that, they'll bring up their cars and say "Dad, remember when we got these. They were left in a treasure for us to find." :wub:

My screensaver is a picture I took of my 2 year old nephew hauling an ammo can out of a pile of branches. He loves Peter Pan and Captain Hook, and anything to do with Pirates. One day I decided to take him "treasure hunting" in a nearby state park. This particular one wasn't too difficult and I spotted it right away. But he looked and he looked, and considering he didn't know what he was looking for he did a very good job! He was so excited when he found it, and to him it really looked like a treasure chest! He was perfectly willing to take one toy and put one of his aunts toys in it. When we got home he had to tell everyone about it, and it was all he talked about for days! Even now if my computer is on when he comes over and he sees his picture, he says "Hey thats me and my tweasure!" I will never forget that moment, either!

Can't wait until it gets a little warmer out to take him again!

My 5yo is constantly with me when I go out. In fact, she was upset when i came back from a business trip with a few travel bugs because she wasn't there to help find them. My 2yo loves to go with us, and keeps asking to go treasure hunting. I think SWMBO is concerned that I'll have the new baby out and trained before she can even roll over...

While out looking for my second cache, My husband and I had our 3 year old daughter with us. We had been walking through thick brush for about 30 minutes when my daughter started screaming out loud, SPIDER, this will make you look. Well come to find out, the owner of the cache had tied a fake halloween spider to a string then to the cache, which was hidden inside a water pipe. Once we explained to her that the spider wasn't real, and that we were treasure hunting, she was happier. You never know what you will come across out in the wild, put there or not.

That is the best part of caching for me when my kids find it first my 5 yr old will find the cache first all the time on some hard ones to, many time we will be walking and get to the 20 ft range and I tell her to start looking and when I look away from the gps she had already found the cache.

We began as a Dad and 3 boys ages 13, 8, and 4 going out looking for the treasure. The older boys and myself were always locating the cache. I came up with the idea, and spread the word to the older boys, "Let Brad find the next one. If you locate it quitely call Brad over and have him look in the stump or under the pile of stick." I have to say, one of my favorite memories was the 1st time we did this. Brad was about 5, and was so excited, yelling, "DAD, DAD, I FOUND IT!!!" Wow!!! It was best day I ever had. Looking at the older two boys, the smiles they had lead me to believe they got as much enjoyment. Now, 4 years later, myself, my new wife, and Brad still log together, my sons bloodhound and Nick are becoming great geocachers under thier own names.

He tripped on stick and landed on his butt. When I picked him up, he was sitting on the cache. I told him he found the treasure. He took a toy and left one of his own. Now all he talks about is going out to find treasure.

Mike

That is called "caching by the seat of your pants."

Hehe, I see he was sitting down on the job again... :grin: