Ultralight Geocaching

Sweet!

ibycus, a healthy portion of the folks I've met who required rescue (or whose body we recovered) had a GPS unit.

Really? Were they lost? I'm not saying one can't get injured out there, mostly I was focusing on the getting lost aspect...

I did have one case back when I was begining my caching that I ran out (or rather was running out) of batteries. I was only in a local park, so no big deal, but I can imagine if I'd been middle of no where, it might have been an issue. This is a big part of the reason that now when I'm going out I make sure I have *lots* of extra batteries (some might turn out to have been going dead before I started). Actually if I'm feeling overly paranoid I've been known to carry the backup GPS too.

If you don't believe in backups, why the extra batteries?

Oh its not that I don't believe in backups. In fact I do. I've been known on occaision to even carry a spare GPS in my caching pack (although not often). While the GPS may be subject to potential failure, I think the chances of a catastrophic GPS failure are pretty remote (more likely a loose connection than anything else). As far as loosing the GPS unit, well I'm not likely to go far without it, as I'm one of those compulsive GPS checkers. The only time I'm likely to leave it behind is if the batteries die.

By now you know the approximate battery mileage of your GPS unit, so why not carry just the batteries needed to complete the hike?

As I said, I believe backups are a good idea. Just not the backups most people here seem to favour. Guess I'm probably just not going in to the same situations as most of you. Really I can't imagine a situation in which I'd be required to light a fire, and set up a tent for the night. Never been in a situation where that would even have been worst case scenario.

Nobody's trying to change the way you pack for a hike. Some of us just like to be prepared and don't mind a few extra ounces or pounds in the pack. Next sudden rainstorm flag us down--we'll lend you the spare space blanket :rolleyes:

Oh I've been caught in rainstorms on an otherwise nice day. I just don't let it phase me. Sure I might get a little chilly, but its not like we're talking -30C here, and normally I've got a pretty reasonable coat with me anyways. I don't live in an overly warm climate anyways, so I'm dressed pretty weather resistant normally. My average clothing, with no coat, hat, gloves, etc would probably do me down to about -5C without too much trouble for an extended period of time.

A lot of this thread seems to be focused on the "Well you might get lost" aspect of why its important to carry a survival kit. That strikes me as a little odd. I mean here we are carrying around this fancy little toy that tells us exactly where we are on the surface of the planet to within at worst 30m, and we're concerned about getting lost???

There are also concerns other than getting lost. Like getting injured, or wet. If you're an hour from your car and hypothermia is setting in, it really doesn't matter that you know where your car is does it? Same if you break a leg, or blow out a knee.

Oh I never said that there weren't other concerns. Just a little surprised to see all the concern over getting lost, which while is probably a typical situation that has to be dealt with in survival situation, I don't think its even remotely as applicable to a situation with someone with a GPS, and a good supply of batteries.

Also, last time I looked my GPS was an electronic device that depended on batteries. If I dropped it and it broke, if it just plain crapped out (electronic equipment does fail), or if the batteries died and I didn't have replacements,then what?

Dunno, tend to think my GPS is fairly rugged. I mean what is going to actually break? There are no moving parts. Sure you might get a loose connection, or maybe some massive EMP. Even a cracked screen will mostly result in simply a large dead patch. Should be enough to allow you to at least get a bearing

Sure, I might drop the GPS down a gorge, but then again I might drop my survival kit too. Does that mean I should pack an extra survival kit? Ooops what if I drop that too?

A survival kit is not a single item. If you're properly packed it consists of many things including food, water, extra clothing, rain gear, a whistle and/or signal mirror, matches, perhaps a shelter and other items. Hopefully if you drop your matches, you'll still have extra warm clothing, or if your extra clothing gets wet you'll still have matches. Sure you can lose everything. It's happened and people have died because of it, but to justify leaving it all behind because there is a remote chance you might lose it is just plain silly.

I was thinking more along the lines of dropping the whole pack by mistake. I've been in more than one situation where I've been required to take my pack off to allow for better balance, not been in the situation where I might drop it down a gorge mind you, but hey it could happen. Also, I'm certainly not saying don't bring anything. Now that's just plain silly, I agree. I just know that my needs, are not likely going to include matches, a tent, an extra set of clothing, signal mirror, flares, portable nuclear reactor...

if I get to a point beyond that which I'm prepared to tackle (like I'm running low on water), I turn back.

You're kidding, right?

You're much more likely to break something as relatively fragile as a gps in your hand then you are to break warm clothes, matches, and first aid kit in your backpack, don't ya think?

You're already carrying almost 10lbs of water with you (good, but btw really not even close to a 24hr supply for you and a dog), what's another pound or less to be safe?

So, how much water would you recommend? Obviously in part its going to depend on the weather. Aren't you way way way south of where I am? (I'm ~51 07'N) Probably a lot warmer climes where you are. The absolute maximum average expected temperature around here, assuming you aren't in the height of summer, is ~25C (77F), and that would certainly be getting up there. On a typical day, it certainly doesn't go much above 20C.

I think this thread could also be called "things we have learned to bring" because I never go anywhere in any woods no matter how big or small or long or short the hike without an emergency blanket.

I hunt, and was out in the late fall when it was cold (about 40 degrees) and a little damp, I was dressed well and had my jacket draped on my pack for later when I stopped hiking and would be sitting or standing around. Well, I was crossing a leafy area and what I didn't know was that there was a small stream under the leaves. I stepped and slipped and down I went sliding for about 30 feet down the rocks. I wasn't hurt luckily, but I was throughly wet from my little slip n slide trip. All my gear was wet. The wind was blowing so it was sucking body heat right out of me. Fortunatly I had my Emergency blanket. I crafted it into a poncho and put my jacket over it as well. I was cold but not freezing and walked the 3 miles back out. Would I have made it out without the blanket? Maybe, but I like to think it made a big difference.

Now On to the things I will carry. I think as Americans and adult boyscouts we do have a tendency to overpack, but I do feel there are a few essentials you should take. I take the following when going into the woods: ( now when I say woods I mean Real woods at least going to be a mile from my truck and not near any type of structures)

1.Water at LEAST 2 bottles worth

2. Snack food

3. Emergency blanket and whistle

4. extra socks. wet feet means cold body

5. wool cap ( even wet they can keep you warm)

Along with the regular stuff you take to cache (GPS batteries,compass) I also take a cool head. Most people die in emergency situations because they panic. If you calm down and think you will survive.

One other thing I take and its more of a luxury is a Fanny pad. I know sounds funny, but most hunting stores and Wally world sell them. They are a small round pad you sit on instead of the ground. Great thing for when you are signing the cache and if the ground is damp no wet Hiney B) and as everyone knows if the booty is cold and wet, you are cold and wet.

Edited for my stoopid spelling errors B)

Edited by Davispak

B)

I'm a fairly new cacher, and lhave spent some time reading through the numerous posts on "the perfect pack" for geocaching. There are some pretty sweet packs described here (briansnat, for example). I would venture to say that 95% of the caches in my area of NE Iowa, caches are within a miles walk from parking. Do I really need waterproof matches, first aid kit (other than maybe a bandage), flashlight, space blanket, rain jacket (even on a beautiful day, with no rain in the forcast?), etc. Perhaps we could start an "Ultralight Geocaching" sect, where one would take their GPSr, Palm Pilot (or whatever), a peice of swag in your pocket, and perhaps a water bottle. I'm in. I am ultralight cacher man! So, why do you take all of your gear? Are your hikes really that intense? Do you like comfort? Do you like heavy backpacks?

I am usually going out with my 5 year old son. You would be amazed at the kind of trouble a kid can get into in as little as a half mile hike. B)

So, I usually have rain gear, first aid, water, blanket, extra clothes, camera, maps and compass, writing stuff, etc. There have been a few times when we left the pack in the car and just carried the GPS and swag. But I usually only do that when the car will be in site the whole time.

Sweet!

ibycus, a healthy portion of the folks I've met who required rescue (or whose body we recovered) had a GPS unit.

Really? Were they lost? I'm not saying one can't get injured out there, mostly I was focusing on the getting lost aspect...

I did have one case back when I was begining my caching that I ran out (or rather was running out) of batteries. I was only in a local park, so no big deal, but I can imagine if I'd been middle of no where, it might have been an issue. This is a big part of the reason that now when I'm going out I make sure I have *lots* of extra batteries (some might turn out to have been going dead before I started). Actually if I'm feeling overly paranoid I've been known to carry the backup GPS too.

Somebody can markwell me, but there was a big thread on a person getting lost less than 1 mile from a highway and he had a working GPS. He had to be rescued out. Granted, I believe the person was a newbie and didn't know how to fully use the GPS functions, but to answer your incredulity, yes it happens.

Sweet!

Somebody can markwell me, but there was a big thread on a person getting lost less than 1 mile from a highway and he had a working GPS. He had to be rescued out. Granted, I believe the person was a newbie and didn't know how to fully use the GPS functions, but to answer your incredulity, yes it happens.

I have personally been involved twice with persons who were lost with their functioning GPS, and countless times with SAR teams that couldn't navigate to their goal dispite using their GPS. Incidentally, my experiences in SAR with GPS and GPS users is what prompted me to choose this screen name, not any feelings about Geocaching with or without a GPS. If you're hurt or lost, or would you perfer that I was faster because my pack is 1-4% lighter, or would you rather I have a little electronic toy to dither over and waste time?

I just returned from a very busy 24 hour shift at work, so I'm probably forgetting some really funny lost person story. Peace.

OK,

Here's a quick story about GPS users, SAR, and communication skills.

An injured hiker's coordinates(from his GPS) and description of his location are given to SAR. Prior to boarding the helicopter, the pilot asks me if I'm familiar with the area. I should have said "YES!", because he really meant "do you know where to go?" We head toward the given coordinates, and I say "Our destination is due east of us, and we are flying nearly south" They fly to the given coordinates twenty miles out of the way, I enjoy the alpine lakes, and the patient waits an extra 35 minutes or so for pain medication.

I'm slowly improving my ability to answer the real question, not the literal one.

I have an internal frame hiking pack that has a second small detachable pack attached. I keep some swag, my camera and important items in the small pack and in the large pack I keep raingear, water, snacks, etc. That way I'm prepared to hike 5 miles or pop of the little pack and hike 5 minutes. I keep all my stuff in the pack so I can pick up and be ready to roll in just a minute or two. Its the perfect setup. I purchased mine from Cabelas but I've seen similar in REI and such.

joe

I like to wear a vest of many pockets with all my 'stuff' plus some gear in case things go wrong including an Adventure Medical Pocket Survival Pak, my Leatherman Super Tool, Space Blankets and what I call one time use rain gear along with a big orange garbage bag rolled up and taped. In the winter extra clothes is a must. My hiking staff has a compass and a small but good LED flashlight about outfits me to be safe.

Bear with me as I make the analogy... I ride motorcycles as well as cache. I even ride the bike to the cache on occasion. I carry a pretty well stocked camelback bag when hiking, overpacked by some standards. I also wear a helmet and a pretty expensive protective jacket when riding. Even when it's too hot to be comfortable. Even though it's not nearly as cool looking as a tee shirt and a leather vest. - There's a saying in the motorcycle community: "Dress for the crash, not the ride." - I rarely need the protection provided by my helmet, jacket, and overpacked caching bag. But I continue to use these items because at some point things are going to get bad. I'll be prepared. And even if I never need them, it's worth it.

Ever notice how it never rains when you are carrying your umbrella?

Be Smart

Be Safe

Be Prepared

-_-

:ph34r:

I'm a fairly new cacher, and lhave spent some time reading through the numerous posts on "the perfect pack" for geocaching. There are some pretty sweet packs described here (briansnat, for example). I would venture to say that 95% of the caches in my area of NE Iowa, caches are within a miles walk from parking. Do I really need waterproof matches, first aid kit (other than maybe a bandage), flashlight, space blanket, rain jacket (even on a beautiful day, with no rain in the forcast?), etc. Perhaps we could start an "Ultralight Geocaching" sect, where one would take their GPSr, Palm Pilot (or whatever), a peice of swag in your pocket, and perhaps a water bottle. I'm in. I am ultralight cacher man! So, why do you take all of your gear? Are your hikes really that intense? Do you like comfort? Do you like heavy backpacks?

Well I was a Boy Scout too, and usually go prepared. But recently I went on a hunt which was in rough terrain, but only 0.35 mile (as a crow flies) from the parking area. When I got to the parking area, I realized I'd forgotten to bring my water and snacks. But it was a mild weather day and I figured I'd be OK.

WRONG! The path withered away and got real hard to find. I wanderd around quite a while trying to find my way around lots of rocks and obstacles, and the climb was steep. My sweetie decided to wait for me at the half way point, becuase she doesn't like rock scrambling. It was then that I realized we didn't bring our FRS radios either.

By the time I got to the top of the peak, I was tired, thristy, hungry and just plain frustrated.

It had taken me far longer than I had agreed upon with my sweetie, and all I could think of was that she was probably very worried about me. I made the find, and there was some awesome swag and a rare geocoion. But I was not prepared with any suitable trade items. I grabbed my camera to take a picture. All my batteries promplty fell out of the camera and disappeared forever in the rocks below...

About the only thing I did have was spare batteries! So I put them in and got the picture. I found my way back to my sweetie. (I had waypointed her with the "man overboard" symbol). Sure enough she was worried and just as frustrated as I was...

The track back to the truck was difficult because of the rocks and I had to really rely on the gps track to figure out where the heck it was. I'd climb a hill, only to discover my way was blocked and I had to go back down and climb a different hill to get back on the track...

All in all the trek took us nearly 5 hours.

Believe me, I wish I hadn't underestimated this 0.35 mile hike. I wish I had brought my food, water and FRS radios. It would have made the day so much more enjoyable.

Edited by headybrew

:ph34r:

Well I was a Boy Scout too, and usually go prepared. But recently I went on a hunt which was in rough terrain, but only 0.35 mile (as a crow flies) from the parking area. When I got to the parking area, I realized I'd forgotten to bring my water and snacks. But it was a mild weather day and I figured I'd be OK.

WRONG! The path withered away and got real hard to find. I wanderd around quite a while trying to find my way around lots of rocks and obstacles, and the climb was steep. My sweetie decided to wait for me at the half way point, becuase she doesn't like rock scrambling. It was then that I realized we didn't bring our FRS radios either.

By the time I got to the top of the peak, I was tired, thristy, hungry and just plain frustrated.

It had taken me far longer than I had agreed upon with my sweetie, and all I could think of was that she was probably very worried about me. I made the find, and there was some awesome swag and a rare geocoion. But I was not prepared with any suitable trade items. I grabbed my camera to take a picture. All my batteries promplty fell out of the camera and disappeared forever in the rocks below...

About the only thing I did have was spare batteries! So I put them in and got the picture. I found my way back to my sweetie. (I had waypointed her with the "man overboard" symbol). Sure enough she was worried and just as frustrated as I was...

The track back to the truck was difficult because of the rocks and I had to really rely on the gps track to figure out where the heck it was. I'd climb a hill, only to discover my way was blocked and I had to go back down and climb a different hill to get back on the track...

All in all the trek took us nearly 5 hours.

Believe me, I wish I hadn't underestimated this 0.35 mile hike. I wish I had brought my food, water and FRS radios. It would have made the day so much more enjoyable.

With all respect, sounds like you forgot the most important thing you needed.

Common sense, you need to know when you should throw in the towel and return prepared.

I know this from having made that mistake myself.

Thanks for sharing.

There's certainly a line between preparedness and overkill, but generally my theory is I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

You never know what's going to happen, even on short hikes on clear sunny days. I usually don't pack for Armageddon, but I do tend to at least take my first aid kit, flashlight, and some snacks and drinks in my regular daypack.

Very well put. As a young man, years ago now, I spent a lot of time creating portages and campsites in Algonquin park (a large Provincial park in Ontario) and learned from that to always be prepared for anything. You don't want to believe you will have trouble but things can happen very quickly. When you need something you usually really need something.

.... Every time you're heading into the woods with a fanny pack containing a liter of Poland Spring and a power bar, you're taking a chance. Like the airbags in your car, you are unlikely to ever need everything you bring along, but that one time something happens you will be glad you are prepared.

Just a few months ago a mother and young daughter went for a quick day hike in a rugged area in northern NJ that is a popular geocaching spot. It was late summer. They were turned around and got lost (thanks in part to a map distributed by the Audubon Society that was deliberately printed upside down with north pointing south because "that's the way most people walk from the center" :ph34r: ).

Despite the fact that it was summer, the pair was found by the SAR team the next morning suffering from hypothermia. The mother saved her little girls life by wrapping her in her sweater and curling up around her.

People don't realize that hyopthermia can set in even if the temps aren't all that cold. It doesn't have to be a 20 degree night. People have died from hypothermia in 60 degree weather.

Absolutely, and you can also get it by getting wet in cold water and not able to dry off completely, even on warm days. As well, there is heat exhaustion (not as severe as heat stroke) but usually the person does not realize its happening to them. They can become disoriented. You need the fluids to prevent that (and to pour over a victim's head to help them cool down) and you need things to warm you up as well.

Again my early training taught me that you should never assume, even on a short trek that you won't get into trouble. If you take a tumble down a hill and break a leg or severly sprain an ankle even 100yards distance can be too much to get out. You can go on hike a thousand times and never have trouble and never need your pack, but that 1001st time when you do you'll be very glad that you got into that habit of a good pack. The number of people I used to rescue with mine taught me that.

JDandDD

I am the ultralight ultralight I carry NOTHING, my bearers are quite capable of carrying everything, from my GPSr to my tin bath, silver service and selection from my cellar. I am not averse to being carried myself as long as they stay in step.

Edited by dunderhead

Okay, I'm gonna admit right now that I didn't even read every reply in this thread (117?), before just jumping to the end and putting in my two cents here. So forgive me if this has been said (probably repeatedly):

I have a fanny pack that I use for urban caching. It contains a compass, GPS, small first aid kit, pen/paper, and SWAG. However, for anything longer, I use a larger (but still small) hydropack with much more stowed away in it. I have no real desire to spend the night out in the wilderness, but I cache with my kids and have the responsibility to keep them safe while in the great outdoors. Therefore, even though my pack only weighs about 10 pounds including 2 liters of water, I carry enough well-thought-out equipment to be able to make an unplanned overnight stay, even in inclement weather, at least bearable.

In fact, I wrote an article that was used in the Nov '04 issue of Todayscacher e-zine, called "Pack Heavy, Pack Light". Here it is. I think it sums up my ideas on packs pretty well; I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

...Somebody can markwell me, but there was a big thread on a person getting lost less than 1 mile from a highway and he had a working GPS. He had to be rescued out. Granted, I believe the person was a newbie and didn't know how to fully use the GPS functions, but to answer your incredulity, yes it happens.

I can see this with a non mapping GPS fairly easily. Knowing your LL doesn't tell you where you are in any useful way. But being able to see that road on the map 1 mile over and marking a waypoint can tell you where you need to go. That's useful. Of course if you have a cell phone and give your LL to the authorites who will come get your butt. For them that LL is useful even if it's not helping you much for want of a map to know where to go.

My worst "Lost" was a terrain thing. We took a short cut back and knew the direction we needed to head, but not knowing the terrain we had to climb up and down about 6 cliff's and cut through 3 canyons and it took all day to scout for where we could climb. Many years later we came back from another dirction (night caching) and found the trail...no cliffs, just an easy walk.

Edited by Renegade Knight

What goes into a pack is largely a very personal thing.

Having volunteered with Search And Rescue (SAR) for five years, there are a few things I'd really like to see go into it, though.

First, a note:

If we're talking about Urban Drive-ups, well, that's pretty different. Stun gun, pepper-spray, 9mm hand gun, switch blade, brass knuckles, 6cell mag light, surefire tac light, 12g with beanbags, something that can lay down reasonable suppression fire... <_<

If you're going out in the boonies - gosh. I sure wish I had a $1 for everyone that was within a few hundred feet of easy help when we found 'em...

Let's talk about a few realities -

You have a GPS. Great! A GPS smashed on the rocks a mile from your house in the middle of a warm mid-spring day is heartbreaking. The GPS you were relying upon to get you out of the boonies at 1am smashed on the rocks may mean you're _dead_.

Navigating by rabbit tracks in the middle of a warm mid-spring day is actually pretty hazardous. Trying to do it at 1am in the rain when the temp has dropped 40degrees is suicidal.

In many areas (maybe most), the majority of SAR is volunteer. They leave their warm houses and their families to come risk their lives to collect your sorry @ss from the trouble YOU put it in. They will do their darnedest to find and recover you in a timely fashion. BUT: It's a big tree covered world out there. It takes time. Time you may not have. Have a little respect for what they do and be at least reasonably prepared to take care of yourself so there's enough left of you to bother finding...

A simple first-aid kit, and a red cross first-aid course, RENEWED REGULARLY (on both counts). This should be a DUH.

A couple extra layers of clothing. A change of socks. (you'd be AMAZED at the survival difference a pair of socks can make when the difference between life and death comes down to attitude)

TWO flashlights with fresh batteries. Even a keychain penlight flashing in the boonies is visible for miles from a 'chopper.

A compass and basic orientation skills. Make that two. I carry three. One in my first aid kit, one on my pack, and one in my pocket. They weigh nothing. Losing your pack in a ravine sucks when your compass was in it.

A whistle. A good orange floating whistle intended for the backwoods. Man can you hear that thing a long way off. And you don't lose your voice from shouting right when it's needed.

A _good_ knife. Or two. You'll understand when you need it.

Look - this has all been covered in this thread. My normal pack is six and a half pounds, give or take, depending upon the amount of water in it. I could live in the woods for a month quite comfortably with those six and a half pounds.

Stories: How about the HAM/Hiker we pulled out? He radio'd for help after breaking his ankle about a mile and a half out in the woods. He had a GPS.

So he gives us his cords (through a phone relay). We check the topos. Looks reasonable. There's a trail head not far. We muster, the dogs are antsy, this will be an easy one, off we go. Four hours later he's found by a chopper en-route - about 10 miles away. He had a flashlight (good man) and was signaling the chopper. In his immense pain and stress, he repeatedly was transposing the same two digits off his GPS. Then his radio batteries flatted. Then his GPS batteries.

GPS? Radio? Phone? Cute toys. Plan on taking care of yourself with the basics until the posse arrives.

Duh.