Working Out Multis

Necro bump! :)

I'm glad people are still using it.

I'll dig out the source code tonight to sort out the problem if the numbers are above 99.

I think I'll go with 4 digits then years become usable. You'll have to scroll the little boxes though as I don't think they will fit if they are each 4 chars wide!

Simon

I'm glad people are still using it.

More than that! I couldn't live without it.

Only today I miscalculated a formula without it cos it involved dates. So the ability to use longer numbers would be brilliant. Where's your Paypal link? :)

New version (2.0.1) will be online tonight.

It allows 4 digits per letter.

If there is more than 2 digits in the letter field the label turns red to let you know there are digits that may not be visible.

Please wait until after 18:00 GMT because it won't be uploaded before then!

Simon

While you're there, could I make some other suggestions?

Please - this one is really annoying ;) - could it stop grabbing the Today screen?

Could it be more flexible about the translation? E.g. N51°AS.MNW will, if N=6, be translated as 651°AS.M6W :D.

Similarly - and I'm not sure how you might deal with this - is that x or X is treated as a character rather than as the more usual *. The solution is to fix it manually after pasting, but that brings me to the next thing...

The coords should be a single field. This would make it easier to transfer as only a single copy/paste is required.

The fiddliest part of the process is getting the data into MultiCalc. Unless I've missed something the only way is to view the cache page on the PPC then copy/paste the forumula - one half at a time - into a new record in MultiCalc. This is then saved as an XML file.

What I'd like is to be able to generate a list from GSAK on the PC, add the formula, then copy the file to the PPC for MultiCalc to read. Now, I could do this with a GSAK macro but generating XML is tricky because each field has to be handled and output seperately. Not impossible, but it would be so much easier if MultiCalc's file were a simple CSV.

Lastly, it would be good if MultiCalc could handle more than one file. I may have many prepared caches on the PDA with MultiCalc information. To add to these I have to get the existing file, append to it, then copy it back again.

I should say that I don't use MultiCalc much because I find that these problems make it rather fiddly to use. But I can see the potential and it would be great if some of these issues could be addressed. Thanks for reading.

While you're there, could I make some other suggestions?

Please - this one is really annoying :) - could it stop grabbing the Today screen?

?? Don't understand, how is it "Grabbing" the Today screen?

Could it be more flexible about the translation? E.g. N51°AS.MNW will, if N=6, be translated as 651°AS.M6W :D.

I thought about this but there is no way I can identify if "N", "S", "E", or "W" is a direction or a letter to be translated.

Similarly - and I'm not sure how you might deal with this - is that x or X is treated as a character rather than as the more usual *. The solution is to fix it manually after pasting, but that brings me to the next thing...

x is and x and * is a *, what can I say! Again I can't tell if what you type in should be translated or used as a symbol.

The coords should be a single field. This would make it easier to transfer as only a single copy/paste is required.

The fields are not restricted in length and not required either. If you want to only used one of them you can do.

The fiddliest part of the process is getting the data into MultiCalc. Unless I've missed something the only way is to view the cache page on the PPC then copy/paste the forumula - one half at a time - into a new record in MultiCalc. This is then saved as an XML file.

What I'd like is to be able to generate a list from GSAK on the PC, add the formula, then copy the file to the PPC for MultiCalc to read. Now, I could do this with a GSAK macro but generating XML is tricky because each field has to be handled and output seperately. Not impossible, but it would be so much easier if MultiCalc's file were a simple CSV.

Multicalc runs on the PC if you want it to. do the copy/paste of coordinates from there and then you can save the xml file onto your pda. I could probably create something that reads csv and outputs multicalc xml but not sure what fields you would need.

Name, Lat, Long

I guess for a simple file. I don't know enough about GSAK but are you sure it can't output the xml. It's not particularly complicated.

Lastly, it would be good if MultiCalc could handle more than one file. I may have many prepared caches on the PDA with MultiCalc information. To add to these I have to get the existing file, append to it, then copy it back again.

Fair point. I could add an open dialog.

Simon

With MultiCalc running it's not possible to get to the Today screen. Choosing Start|Today takes you to the MultiCalc window but with "Today" in the title bar and the menu bar of the Today screen.

I thought about this but there is no way I can identify if "N", "S", "E", or "W" is a direction or a letter to be translated.

Well, those characters will be at the beginning of the string :D.

x is and x and * is a *, what can I say! Again I can't tell if what you type in should be translated or used as a symbol.

Yep. tricky, I agree. Most people seem to use * but I've also heard people say that they didn't understand what * meant :). What's required is consistency in how people present the formula. A structured field on the cache page would be good but I can't see that happening.

The fields are not restricted in length and not required either. If you want to only used one of them you can do.

That's useful to know - thanks. It may make them more difficult to read, though.

Multicalc runs on the PC if you want it to. do the copy/paste of coordinates from there and then you can save the xml file onto your pda.

That's a good idea, though it would mean installing .NET v2, which is bound to break something else... :D.

I don't know enough about GSAK but are you sure it can't output the xml. It's not particularly complicated.

As I said, it could be done but it's a lot more tricky than a simple CSV.

That would be good. Thanks.

One more request: could a double-tap open the "cache"?

With MultiCalc running it's not possible to get to the Today screen. Choosing Start|Today takes you to the MultiCalc window but with "Today" in the title bar and the menu bar of the Today screen.

Ah hadn't noticed that. I just click in the X at the top right. It minimised the app. I'll see if I can fix it but I'm not sure how!

That's useful to know - thanks. It may make them more difficult to read, though.

You asked for them in 1 field!

That would be good. Thanks.

I'll post when I've done it but it may take a couple of days as I'm a bit busy.

One more request: could a double-tap open the "cache"?

Nope!

For some reason the listbox I'm using doesn't support double tap in the .net compact framework.

Simon

Just done it on my Windows 2003 PPC by holdingthe stylus on the program line until the menu appears 'with copy in it' copied it and then navigated to the Start folder in the Windows folder and simply pasted it there, only problem is that the data file also appears there after you have used it but it is easier to find.

This program is useful but it takes some finding on my PPC. I currently have to use File Explorer to get it.

Is there a way of getting it to appear in either Programs or the Start Menu? It doesn't appear in Settings \ Menus to add it into the Start Menu.

Just noticed this after the thread appeared again. You can create shortcuts for PPC programs, it isn't completely obvious. You create a file on the Windows PC with a suffix of .lnk e.g. multicalc.lnk and put the following starting with 40 exactly into the file using Notepad 40#"\Program Files\MultiCalc\MultiCalc.exe". From a technical perspective 40 is the length of the following data including quote marks. Copy the file to the PPC and put into the Start Menu folder or anywhere else and you would have a shortcut to the program. PM me if you would like a copy of the file.

This program is useful but it takes some finding on my PPC. I currently have to use File Explorer to get it.

Is there a way of getting it to appear in either Programs or the Start Menu? It doesn't appear in Settings \ Menus to add it into the Start Menu.

Just noticed this after the thread appeared again. You can create shortcuts for PPC programs, it isn't completely obvious. You create a file on the Windows PC with a suffix of .lnk e.g. multicalc.lnk and put the following starting with 40 exactly into the file using Notepad 40#"\Program Files\MultiCalc\MultiCalc.exe". From a technical perspective 40 is the length of the following data including quote marks. Copy the file to the PPC and put into the Start Menu folder or anywhere else and you would have a shortcut to the program. PM me if you would like a copy of the file.

Alternatively, use File Explorer to 'Copy' the exe file, then go to my device\Windows\Start Menu\ and the hold the stylus a 'Paste as Shortcut'