I'm New

westieridgeback

Hi! I'm new and I've used the search feature but probably not correctly. My question is: My little girl is 4 and very active and I have two dogs. I did read that people did take their children sometimes but I was never real sure about the ages. Also, does anyone take their dogs with them. I'm really looking forward to learning all this. For the most part right now I'm a big lurker, trying to read everything before I get on here to ask a ton of questions.

Thanks in advance for the child age and dog info.

Jo

With a few exceptions, an active and healthy child such as you describe should have no problems with cache locations rated 2/2 or less. As for the dog, they are either permitted or not based upon the location's policies. Hopefully the cache owners will have indicated in their listing if their cache is not appropriate for either children or dogs. :huh::huh::anicute:

With a few exceptions, an active and healthy child such as you describe should have no problems with cache locations rated 2/2 or less. As for the dog, they are either permitted or not based upon the location's policies. Hopefully the cache owners will have indicated in their listing if their cache is not appropriate for either children or dogs. :P:huh::anicute:

My favorite geo-dogs:

Simon:

42a3c244-c630-4c5d-8bc4-a02caddb8cb7.jpg

Bentley:

e0872705-bc7b-4f0d-a8fa-f522cef31903.jpg

They (and their humans) always cache together! :huh:

I cache with my dogs all the time. There is also a local cacher that started her daughter out when she was 2 months old. I have a son due in June and am already planning a configuration for the dogs (saddle bags and such) that will allow me to take my son when he's just a few months old.

No 5/5s of course :) But I'm sure we'll have fun none the less.

I'm a newbie also I took my 4 and 7 year old on our first cache hunt this weekend and they loved it, I would suggest keeping the terrain below a 3, it doesn't hurt to challenge them some but dont make it too hard or they'll loose intrest quickly.

I'm going to try and find some either clear or lightly shaded sunglasses for them also, when we're bushwacking off trail the limbs and sticks pose some potential eye injury issues. You have to think at a whole differant level when your choosing your routes also.

They will have a blast. Enjoy!

While I can't speak of caching with dogs (I'm a cat person myself), I do have plenty of experience caching with kids. I will tell you that caching with an infant or toddler is completely different than caching with a child who is a little bit older. My kids were 3 and 5 when we started and are now 4 & 6. At 4 your daughter should be a great age for caching. Make up a small backpack for her to carry with some small trade items/toys and some snacks for her. Make it special for caching only. My kids go with me everywhere, so they have done some pretty steep climbs, but I believe the hardest that they have done is a 3.5 terrain rated and we had to drag the little one for a lot of it. If you keep to 2.5 or lower, she will have a better time. I got myself a hiking stick and discovered that they were very interested in it. Once I get them each their own $10 retractable hiking stick from Walmart, they were suddenly keep on hiking. Keep it interesting and try not to overdue it and first and you will have the perfect little caching partner.

I have a golden retriever that loves to cache. Ok, I do the caching; she loves to get out of the house. I keep her up-to-date on her advantage treatments to ward off ticks/fleas. And two years ago, I put her through a rattlesnake avoidance course to keep her inquisitive nature from costing her life; she's due for a refresher course this summer.

The longest hike we did was 11 miles through 3.5 star terrain caches. I think we hit 12 caches that night. She has a dog backpack to carry her own water and food on the long hikes. Once, on a 4-star boulder hopping cache, she stayed down below about 80 feet from GZ and cried till I returned. Otherwise, she is quite adept at rock climbing. Up until we got an electronic fence, she easily jumped over our 65-inch high fence.

Except for urban caches, or those by the roadside, she's off the leash. Rain or shine, she'll go caching!

9de6e99e-f99b-43d3-874a-38c88f2ef47f.jpga15bf3ea-7f80-4238-a404-78eac507ad13.jpg

GD Ginger and my then 7yr old.

13967254-6c1c-4707-a4b9-425f0c8e1675.jpg

Edited by Chuy

the only thing I have to add is to analyze your dogs' level of real life obedience. Are they very reliable off leash? If yes, great. If not some caches are a real hastle with leashes and if you need to hold the dogs and hold or closely monitor the kids maybe it is all too much; choose an easier cache. The Westie has the advantage of being small enough to carry or put in a bag if pressed, but your RR needs to be more reliable since s/he is bigger.

Also, not to put a damper on your spirit and certainly not to disaude you from caching with kids and dogs but to emphasis the helpfulness of canine obedience and along the lines of being forewarned is being forearmed -

loose uncontrolled dogs might come up to you and your team, nosey dogs can get foxtails or other nasties up their noses and require serious vet care, doing tick checks on *all* team members is important for wooded caches in most of the U.S.

Thanks for all of your input. I have loved seeing all the pics of your dogs and families. I hope my husband will jump in this with me. If not, oh well, I'm my own adventure seeker so I can move on with it. I definitely know and agree with trash in trash out including poop. It would be pretty yucky having to tip toe through a poo poo patch looking for a cache. Again, thanks so much for the welcome I have received and all the bits of info.

Jo, Alexandra Grace, Kenya and Harrison and maybe Chuck

No kids, but my dog loves to go, he has a couple critia...No leashes (leashes???? I dont need no stinkin' leashes), a nearby creek with flowing water in it and something along the trail which is dead and smelly so he can roll in it!!! As for me, I love caching with him. I might suggest bringing a platypus or other type of water bottle or a camelback (even in the snow, when dehydration can be a threat) a portable waterbowl, they make foldable ones. I clip a platypus to my backpack strap and clip the dogs water bowl to my pack with a carabiner. I also bring some dog biscuits with me or some cuts off the Natural Balance meat sticks which are great for trips. I put a small gas can in the car and filled it full of water, put in a couple of those cheapo beach towels, so I can rinse the fresh cow pattie off of him. I also have an old sheet or comforter to drape over the back seat. If you have a back seat with space behind it, I looped a long leash around the sheet so I could keep the windows open and the sheet would stay on the seat. Otherwise a couple of well placed bricks will help keep the sheet on the back of the seat ....

We always cache with our dog, although there were a few that weren't dog freindly, where we had to leave her in the car, but we generally try to avoid those! Poidawg gave some really good advice as to always supplying water and the helpfulness of a good towel for muddy paws! The only trouble we have is in trying to keep her from eating deer poop! :)

We went caching with our two little neices this past weekend. (ages 7 and 5). It was fun seeing their eyes light up at all the "treasure". The only down side was not getting first shot at the swag! Lol!

If I didn't bring my 5 year old Grandson along, I don't know what I would do with all the Hot Wheel cars in the Caches. As for pets, I take my dog with when I am able, she loves it. There was a Cache in my area that catered to dogs, it was loaded with squeeky toys and balls.

Thanks houndgrrls for the info regarding tick checks on "ALL". I would not have thought of that. Also for making sure the dogs don't get into things that they shouldn't. My RR is well trained. He even competed in the rally obedience competition and placed 4th at the National Specialty. (just my proud moment) But I still would never trust him off leash in an outdoor setting. Even in our backyard, we have an acre, squirels are too much of a temptation for him. The westie, well what can I say, he has the terrier attitude and would chase anything that moved. They both do well on leash outside though. I think my biggest concern for the outdoors is snakes.

Jo

Good for you to put in some training time. If you get more interested in dog training -- real life squirels and all even -- for hounds and terriers is doable. Drop me a line any time. Many folks snake proof their dogs with aversion treatments. Something to consider too although if you are keeping them on 6 foot leashes walking pleasantly with you I am not sure that a snake biting either dog is any more likely than a snake biting your or a kid.

Doggie "arm pits", between the front and back of the pads, collar area, and genital area are places ticks tend to hide.

For people, on your head for those with enough hair and along the waist line where pants/shorts end is prime tick spot too.

Although I do monthly topical I also spray mine with extra stuff when we go to heavy wooded areas. If ticks are really bad in your spot you might want to consider this too.

Have fun!

Thanks houndgrrls for the info regarding tick checks on "ALL". I would not have thought of that. Also for making sure the dogs don't get into things that they shouldn't. My RR is well trained. He even competed in the rally obedience competition and placed 4th at the National Specialty. (just my proud moment) But I still would never trust him off leash in an outdoor setting. Even in our backyard, we have an acre, squirels are too much of a temptation for him. The westie, well what can I say, he has the terrier attitude and would chase anything that moved. They both do well on leash outside though. I think my biggest concern for the outdoors is snakes.

Jo