An Important Note About Shipping

Patuxent Pirates

Well, I went to the post office today after I received my second "postage due" coin mailer. I ended up having to pay $3.54 for something I had already paid shipping on. The postal worker was very nice and explained what is happening. I wanted to share it so others do not share the same experience.

If you send out a coin mailer and add "delivery confirmation" to it, you must make sure to stuff it with an extra bit of packing material so that it meets the width requirement. The USPS passed a new rule about 6 months ago which specifies that for a package to meet the delivery confirmation requirement as First Class, it must be a certain width. IT DOES NOT MEET THIS REQUIREMENT WITH JUST A COIN INSIDE THE MAILER. If you send a coin mailer and it does not meet this specification (SOME POST OFFICES ARE NOT PICKING UP ON THIS NEW RULE), what happens is that it immediately becomes Priority Mail with the additional cost of the priority rate of $5 plus. The guy on the receiving end will get notice that there is a postage due package waiting and be required to pay the extra postage.

Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know. Like I was told, not all Post Offices are aware and following this as they should so you can unknowingly increase the cost of your postage if you use delivery confirmation. If this has already been discussed.... SORRY.

Edited by SoMDCacherz

Delivery confirmation means they add a sticker that is scanned when its delivered so the sender knows when/where it was delivered. Tracking means it gets a sticker thats scanned at each station it passes threw... so you can see where it is currently, but this costs more.

So if I read the OP correctly, when sending coins either 1. use first class and don't bother with delivery confirmation. 2. use first class and deliver confirmation but make sure the package is padded and ? thick so the person receiving the coin doesn't get stuck with the difference...

Just a couple of thoughts.

I use an automated Postal service thing, so I've not spoken w/ a real USPS worker yet while mailing out coins. As far as I know each coin that I've sent out has arrived. I'm glad someone took up the idea of post a forum on shipped out dates. The massive amount of coins has become very difficult to keep up with and if bulk sellers will continue to cooperate wtih this idea it will work good for those of us trying to figure out if coins are lost, etc.

When trading coins, I've tried to notify the recipient what date I mail their coin and that it is first class mail etc. I hope that they in turn will let me know when they receive it that way I have some idea of how quick/slow mail is leaving/arriving my Podunk, BFE town.

I am working on a personal coin and the part I'm worrying about most now is shipping. I wonder why.

:laughing:

I have shipped over 500 coin packages through the USPS without the use of delivery confirmation and to date only one has been a problem. That one was delivered 2 months late damaged but with the coins intact. The USPS does an incredible job and as long as you package them well they will reach their destination.

I have been using 6x9 manila envelopes with recycled mailers and it works great.