Hilton Falls Loop Gcrdc1 Group Gang Caching

Couparangus

I just saw the posting that we are looking at another date for the hilton loop trip. the 22nd sounds good to me.

Rusty was looking forward to the hiking the loop though. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:<_<:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I am stuck working tomorrow. But was planning to cache on Sunday if anyone is interested?

I have done the GEST series it is a very nice hike. For all who are going.

Edited by jeff-trex

Add me into the mix. My legs should be okay by then - trying to follow Tomtec and Juicepig last Saturday almost killed me. I was lame for 2 days! I'll definately need a car 1/2 way - no way I will be able to keep up.

I'm going to Ottawa for a couple of days with Beaux though - and that should help to recoup !

:anibad:

Count me in!!

Okay, now we have:

Coupar-Angus

Tomtec

Blue Quasar

Jefftrex

Amazon Annie

Puddlemaster

Too bad about the others who can't make it on this day, but I totally understand. I got some friction from my family about it too. But hey, what can you do? ;)

The weather is supposed to be sunny and rain-less on Saturday so its looking good!! ;)

C-A

I'm hoping that I can shake this cold that I'm battling before Saturday. Beaux was ready to ship me home last night/this morning. I think a turn in the sauna/hot tub will be just the thing though ...that should do something for sure. Of course I think Beaux is concerned 'cause my voice is reduced to a whisper right now. It's really been something trying to communicate while driving around Ottawa! All sorts of fun.

Here is a SHOUT-OUT to OLAR!!!!!

Come on buddy... it's a secret goal of mine to go caching both with you and a Charter Member... you gotta sign up!

:lol: The Blue Quasar

Sorry BQ. Got a family thingy going on Saturday so I have to miss the loop hike. I am giving serious thought however to attending your CITO event on the 22nd though. You know my heart belongs to the Niagara Penninsula area.

Hey BQ, how are your 2 wheeler skills? Stay tuned as there could be something up and coming.

Later, Olar

I don't know if Squeakieboots is up for 25km of hiking just yet. Often when we go caching together she spends much of the time on my shoulders when she gets tired - which in turn makes me more tired.

To answer JeffTrex's question, yes. 9AM in the main parking lot be ready with hiking stick in hand and with 3l of water on your person. Well, I'm taking 3l anyway because I'm a fat-boy. ;)

I sincerely hope you can make it Annie! Don't forget you can ride on Tomtec's shoulders if you get tired <snicker>. Let us know if you can't though.

C-A

Hi Gang,

At this point it looks like I'll have to bow out for the hike tomorrow. I'm not feeling well at all. Hopefully another hike will appear on the horizon and I'll be well enough to attend. I may try to meet you in the parking lot to send you off or sit at 6th Line to wave you on your way. Best of luck to all.

Annie

After all that rain YET AGAIN, I am thinking of delaying AGAIN.

Hamgran said Monday was good for them... anyone else willing to go Monday?

I know that it may dry out, but like I said before, if I'm making this kind of commitment... I want the hike to be perfect... not slopping through 26 kilometers of muddy puddles.

Stupid rain

:D The Blue Quasar

Annie,

I'm planning on doing this one on Monday (we have family activities for Easter on the weekend). Perhaps if you're feeling better by then, you'd care to join me.

- Cathy

Hi Cathy,

I am certainly keeping that open as an option! I have a full day Tuesday though so it may just be a 1/2 hike for me. Thanks for the invite.

-Annie

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it out on Saturday with the group, so I opted for Monday instead. The trek took me seven hours, including two small snack stops, and also once I had to backtrack nearly a km. (I was mucking around with my GPSr while on the move, trying to clear the trip data, and accidentally cleared out everything - including waypoints! So I had to go back to the previous stage to obtain the information again).

I thought it was a really nice hike. There weren't really any ups and downs (other places on the escarpment have had me climbing up to the top, then back down, numerous times), and the trail in a lot of places was very well-groomed. Very few muddy spots, and nothing that warranted wellies.

The area behind the scout camp has recently been re-blazed so there's little chance of getting confused there.

This is a great time of year to go. The trilliums are just starting, the area is awash in wild leeks, and there are no bugs.

I didn't do any other caches along the way, as I'd lost all the waypoints in my GPSr early on in the hike.

I parked in the conservation area lot and accessed the blue trail from inside the conservation area - which meant a small amount of backtracking to reach the beginning. Coming out, I took the main BT to the road and then hopped the fence to my vehicle.

I didn't need a sock change, I went through two and a half bottles of water, and brought one sandwich; it was enough for me.

Hope this helps any future trekkers! Happy trails.

- hamgran

I can't believe how many times this thread has been viewed. Nozzletime must be clicking his heels. :mad::mad:

I would like to plan a summer cycling cache outing. This usually happens at a local pub and involves laptops and lagers/ales. Let me know if you'd be interested in the planning. Ah heck, I'll just create another topic.

C-A

Edited by Couparangus

I'd be very interested in such an outing. We could do the Toronto Islands again, although the pub fare there is rather meager.

Other possible options in the Toronto area are:

The Humber Trail

The Don River Trail

The Waterfront Trail

Going a bit further afield, there are many rail-trails in the Golden Horseshoe area as well.

The only problem with any of the trails is that we'd end up a long way away from the cars, and have to either cycle back to them or arrange a carpool of some sort.

Any other ideas?