Which Way Would You Do It?

BigWhiteTruck

I am setting up a series of phobia caches designed to make someone face their fear of various things, like dark, water, heights, strangers, etc. I have been planning them as individual caches, and I was gong to have hints in each one to the coordinates of a final mystery cache. You would have to conquer all the other phobia caches to get the final one.

Now I am wondering if I should set this up as a massive multi instead.

Pros/cons are:

With individual caches, someone can see each cache and therefore be more interested in them, also they can plan the attack at their leisure.

With one giant multi, the cache as a whole would be more challenging, but in the future I could split it up into individual caches.

What do you think? Would you rather se a series or a large multi?

I like the idea of each 'fear' being its own cache and having to overcome them all to get coordinates for the big cache. It sounds like it would be very fun.

I also suspect that players would enjoy it more because they are rewarded along the way.

If you made it all one big multi, many people wouldn't attempt it or wouldn't finish it for many reasons. One of which being faced with a fear that they can't (or don't choose to) overcome.

I love the idea of several different multis each with their own 'fear factor' versus one with them all. If you've ever seen the Fear Factor show, you've probably seen at least one episode that seemed ridiculously easy and another where you would question your own ability to finish any of it. It might also be a good idea to remind cachers to bring a buddy just in case... :mellow:

Series. I hate multi's, don't have time to do them on a trip, if I can't complete it in a day, I may never finish it before you do something else with it.

As a series if your "Fear of heights" cache needs changed I can do the second version as easy as the first, rather than have to go back and find it again just to get to the next cache.

Also a series lets you do a better study of what people are afraid of. Each in a series will get a better log than a massive mutli. with the MM I won't have time to go into each sub-cache, but with a series I can tell you "Heights, make me want to jump..." and so on.

IMHO you should post all stages as individual caches. The caches should be linked together so that they can only be solved in sequential order; Cache 2 cannot be solved without a clue from Cache 1. Yes, that's how a multi works, but it gives the finders the opportunity to get smilies on the first couple stages before you creep the bejeezums out of them. Making me face fears of heights, small places, spiders and public nudity* would be difficult enough as single caches. A full blown multi would give the best bragging rights to the cachers who complete the final cache. Of course, if you're the kind of person who doesn't give partial credit, make it a multi.

(*I'm not actually afraid of public nudity, I just want to see a cache that would require it :mellow: )

IMHO you should post all stages as individual caches. The caches should be linked together so that they can only be solved in sequential order; Cache 2 cannot be solved without a clue from Cache 1. Yes, that's how a multi works, but it gives the finders the opportunity to get smilies on the first couple stages before you creep the bejeezums out of them.

I saw somewhere a set of individual caches that formed a 'web', (I.E. cache A had a hint for cache E, while cache E had a hint for cache 'B', back and forth between the caches) - but each cache was standalone. All caches had to be located to get the coordinates for the final, but none had to be found to find each individual one.

This would be an interesting approach for this cache as it would allow the finders to choose which 'fear' to face first - but they all had to be faced eventually.

This is a great idea! I might steal it, since you are a continent away....

If I do steal it, I will opt for the series of individual caches. I like multis, but I burn out after about 4 stages and if driving is involved, it's way too easy to get sidetracked by other caches and never quite finish. If you can put all the stages on one long, beautiful trail, then I think the MM would be worth considering.