Webcam Logging Facility

In the past I have successfully used a German service that allows me to ring and then hang up without connecting using my mobile phone whilst stood at ground zero...

...the service then emails me the picture ...totally free and totally cool. :o

However I can't seem to access the site in question today for some reason. :(

Does anyone know the web address of a similar service?

I am trying to get it sorted before I go to Germany tomorrow and hope to log a webcam cache whilst there!!

Cheers

Dave

Must be having intermittent problems, just tried again and get the page :o

You want to log a webcam cache, but don't have anyone who can save the

picture? No problem!

Fill out the below form, go to the webcam cache, and dial the number

+49-2171-909557 with your mobile phone. Let it ring 2-4 times and hang

up - there should be no charges as the call will not be answered. You

can call as often as you want; a picture will be sent for each call.

(just copied and pasted from the page, I can even press F5. the first link that was posted consistently gives me a Proxy error, but viewing it in Google Cache shows maintainence message and link to the page I posted - and no the second isnt in the google cache...)

Can confirm its working as it was before now. You don't need to provide it with a waypoint code, all that does is provide a link to the cache but I don't think it will recognise GC codes. All you do is enter your mobile phone number that you will call it from in the international format. For example my number 07919..... would go in as +447919, note you drop the leading zero. You also input the URL of the image of the webcam. Then you call the German number and let it ring a few times. Simple.

Within seconds you will receive an email with the photo attached. Its a great service.

I've tried using the service twice today (only in "practice") but haven't received anything back via e-mail. I'm sure I entered all the details correctly but I'm not sure exactly what number I need to dial to activate the service.

I've been dialling "+492171909557" from my mobile, is this correct?

Edit:- I've resubmitted my info and all is working now :anicute:. Previously when I clicked on "submit" nothing happened, 2nd time round, I got a webpage with the image from the webcam I'm after.

Really impressed with the service. Now I can get another cache icon :cool:

Edited by Nediam

The few webcam caches we have do we've used a program called Snapshot. Its a freebie and it saves a copy of your screen to disk every minute. I leave it running on my PC which is showing the webcam, then go to the cache and stand in front of the webcam for a couple of minutes and note the time. When I get home I find the picture for the appropriate time. It works fine, but you do need a lot of disk space!

I tried to use this, but didn't get anywhere, but the german cacher concerned was very helpful and emailed me to give me some tips. It seemed that the URL I had was an intermediate forwarding one and not the real one (or something), so I dont think it was a fault of the service.

I would be inclined to test it for the specific webcams before you go there and use it in anger, to make sure it works. You will get some usless webcam pics, but a warm glowy feeling of confidence when you are at the cam site, waving like an idiot at the cam.

Can confirm this very useful service is working. Just set it up again for the Leeds webcam cache which hasn't been working for a while. Called the number now to test it and got an email with the webcam image within seconds.

The URL needs to be of the image from the webcam. Likely to have a .jpg extension or similar.

Just worked for me. I got the email. The "Alles Klar" message reminded me of a story told me by an ex-colleague about when she worked at a certain secret monitoring station back in the early 80's. Her team were monitoring the calls of a suspected German terroist. After an intercept someone managed to trigger an urgent search at Special Branch for any info they had on a suspected contact of the suspect called "Alice Clare"!

Not a cache plug, although it is my cache the News at M.E.N. webcam mentions this service and helps by providing the relative link you require. The tip is if the cam has an output who's name never changes e.g. www.webcam.com\picture.jpg the service works but if the picture name increments as some do this will not work.