Easy Way To Get Data From Geocache.com To Gpsr?

TrpD345

What is the simplest way to get the coordinates for Geocache.com to my 60cs. All I want is the coordinates and the description, nothing to fancy or complicated. Thanks!

You are not going to get the description on the GPS. Only the name and the coordinates are going to show. Anyway, GSAK is probably the fastest way to load them on it.

What is the simplest way to get the coordinates for Geocache.com to my 60cs. All I want is the coordinates and the description, nothing to fancy or complicated. Thanks!

hmmmm you didn't say how many or if you are a premium member ( I see a comment that you are not now) of geocaching.com....:ph34r:

I pull 500 caches at a time and load into GSAK to manipulate before export to the GPS and my PDA...

The "simpliest" I can think of is to download a GPX or LOC, drag and drop on Mapsource, and upload to GPS....

:blink:

Edited by hardwire

The "simpliest" I can think of is to download a GPX or LOC, drag and drop on Mapsource, and upload to GPS....

I just tried that and all it does is add the waypoint (GCXXXX) and not the name of the cache.

Use EASYMPS. It allows you to edit the waypoints en-mass to swap the GCXXXX names and the actual cache names.

Or just use GSAK and then there is no need to worry about editing anything :blink:

I just tried that and all it does is add the waypoint (GCXXXX) and not the name of the cache.

If you drag and drop a LOC file on Mapsource the Cache name and placer are in the comments...

SNAG-0004.jpgGCQW8N.jpg

Edited by hardwire

Without any question, here's the easiest way to get data from geocaching.com into your GPSr:

- Become a premium member (it's not that much and the rewards are HUGE)

- Set up pocket queries

- Load the pocket queries into GSAK

- Output the data in a format that your GPSr needs

Once you get this set up, you'll be amazed at how easy it is.

One final thought...if you want to REALLY make things nice, get a Palm device and CacheMate. That's the untimate setup.

Are you dragging them straight from Geocache.com? I can not get it to work? I had mapsource open and attempted to drag the onto there from the sight but that did not work? Please help!

You have to run a pocket query then open drag and drop the file that is sent to you in your email. Oh and like I already said, GSAK is the easiest way to do what you want to do.

Edited by Team Dubbin
I now have EasyGps downloaded. It does not open anything. When I click on the icon to dl the info from Geocache.com it says type GSAK and then something else? It will not open anything! I can not get rid of GSAK? I know I am an idiot, but plesae help!

Until you are ready for it remove GSAK, Control panel-remove programs-GSAK etc.

It must be set as your default loc. file handling software?

GSAK is the ultimate wpt. manipulation program, but it has a steeper learning curve than EasyGps.

When you want to do more than send wayponts to your GPSr, GSAK is where it's at!

Edited by Freebee & 007

If you want Easy... use Easygps

non premium member.... can download I think 20 caches at a time to your easy gps program and then upload them to your gps receiver.

premium member (3.00 per month) can download 500 at a time.. run them through

"gpx2html" and then upload the resulting file to your gpsr receiver with easygps.

Then you can also download the descriptions of all 500 on your palm.. but that is for another day.

The neat thing is.. it takes less time than typing this post.

wingryder

I'm catching on. Is there a way to download more than 1 cache at a time from Geocache.com to EasyGPS? I have been doing 1 at a time and it takes awhile. I went back and forth 15 times. When i had 15 in EasyGPS I downloaded them to my GPS. Any Help?

When you search for caches scroll down to the bottom of the search page, click check all then download waypoints.

I'm catching on. Is there a way to download more than 1 cache at a time from Geocache.com to EasyGPS? I have been doing 1 at a time and it takes awhile. I went back and forth 15 times. When i had 15 in EasyGPS I downloaded them to my GPS. Any Help?

Return to your main search page, check the boxes (on the right side) of the caches that you want to download, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click download waypoints.

Is there a way to download the hints as well? I'm using my new 60CSX and It seems that my accuracy must be greater than some of the GPS's used to initially mark a cache... I've been off a few times now and I need the hints more then ever...

Thanks a million in advance,

-E

McDegga

This is where your 40.00 Palm comes in. I use gpx2html and plucker to download (from pocket queries)

500 caches at a time including cache descriptions, logs, and hints. Waypoints to the gpsr, and everything else to the Palm. Its paperless caching and the only way to go.

Others use cachemate or gsak to do the same thing

wingryder

Is there a way to download the hints as well? I'm using my new 60CSX and It seems that my accuracy must be greater than some of the GPS's used to initially mark a cache... I've been off a few times now and I need the hints more then ever...

Thanks a million in advance,

-E

McDegga

This is where your 40.00 Palm comes in. I use gpx2html and plucker to download (from pocket queries)

500 caches at a time including cache descriptions, logs, and hints. Waypoints to the gpsr, and everything else to the Palm. Its paperless caching and the only way to go.

Others use cachemate or gsak to do the same thing

wingryder

That sounds fine, but I wouldn't want to use my Dell Axim in the woods. Can you recommend a cheap (inexpensive) and durable Palm and the best method to transfer the data to it? I've got the GPS transfer thing going, but not sure about the Palm.

Thanks a million

-E

I use a Palm IIIxe, holds 8mb and pretty cheap. about 40-50 dollars. I have lost one already.

It will hold upwards of 2000 cache descriptions. I also have mapopolis maps on mine. I would not do that again as with no color they are very hard to read. But for just plain data.. the little Palm does great.

I download before I go caching.. and keep about three downloads on it. (1500 caches).. I just delete the oldest. Most of the caches are dupes but... it gets rid of anything you found (logged) since the last trip plus you get the latest logs in case someone was there two days ago and found it flooded out.

I use gpx2html and plucker. I dont manipulate any data, just request 500 not found from my zip code. run the pocket query through gpx2html. Download the resulting easygps file to my gpsr. And convert the index file to "plucker" for syncing (sp?) to the Palm.

If you need more help let me know

wingryder

Edited by wingryder