Muggled By Friendlys

oldthnz

Granted I am new at Geo Caching. when I started it was made known to me that when you find a cache you take ONE thing out you put ONE back in. My youngest dauter and myself placed our first cache not far form the house so she can keep an eye on it. needless to say the first few cachers came in and took more of thier fair share. Granted they did replce with other prizes, but they took more than thier ONE thing :o

We spent 2 hours acquiring the itoms that where placed in this cache and withen 4 days and three people and half of Original Items gone :)

Edited by oldthnz

My experience in life has taught me not to expect too much out of humans. If you give them too much credit you will only be disappointed.

As for the cache cleaners you speak of, I see 2 options

1) get over it

2) Go tit for tat and go clean out their caches

#1 is probably the most mature best route to go but #2 will surly bring some sort of satisfaction as well.

Actually, it doesn't sound like the trading has been too bad in the cache so far.

T:wire ties, compass and TB

L:Beany Baby Crab, Wipes, Heart shaped carabinger clip

T:Computer duster and yoyo

L: tweety ketchain,panda bear, and a small vase.

In the case of the first cacher or group of cachers, they took two items (TBs don't count as trade items) and left three, and the second visitors (obviously a group of people) took two items and left three. If my math is right, total item out equal four and total items in equal six--or in other words, your cache has been trade UP!

It's OK to trade out more than one item at a time. The guideline is to trade even or trade up. Sometimes I trade four or five lesser items for one item of greater value (and I suppose it would be OK to trade a more valuable item for several lesser items, but I personally don't like to diminish the number of items in the cache).

TBs do not count as trade items. If you see a TB that you can help on its journey, it it fine to take it and leave nothing else in its place.

If a group of people come to visit the cache, they can each trade (if they want) or they can just sign the log and not trade at all.

Caches go through phases where they get emptier and then fuller. My husband has one that is so full right now that folks are having trouble closing it. It was half full when we put it out. Three months ago it had two small items in it. Every now and then, I visit my caches to pull out things that have become bent or worn looking and to add some spiffy new things. I hear from other cache owners that the trade goodies in all caches deteriorate over time--I haven't actually experienced that much yet myself, but the goodies in there do change over time.

Edited by Team Neos

That is fairly typical around here especially with caching families. Each member of the family takes and leaves something but only produces one log entry. I've done it when caching with my family.

I've seen others do it just because 2 or 3 items looked nice to them. But They usually leave 3 items as well.

Doesn't bug me.

Just my experience but after having placed caches both in urban areas and way out in rural areas, the caches in the rural areas don't get "cleaned out" as much.

My guess is that with the easy, drive-by, urban cache you get more caching newbies finding it. These people haven't yet learned to trade up.

Rural caches that might require a hike to get to are usually frequented by more experienced cachers who have learned the rules and have learned to respect the game more.

That being said, sometimes either kind of cache gets cleaned out. People are people after all.

I personally don't see an issue with it. From the logs it seems that people are trading evenly. Be glad for that.

Its a tribute to you that people are taking a couple of things. It means you stocked it with some interesting stuff.

I learned long ago that you shouldn't worry about the trading going on at your caches. If you do that you'll never place another cache. Just look at the items as gifts to the community amd move on. In a few months you can go back and re-stock if you are so inclined, or just let it run its course (until its inevitably filled with broken toys, worthless ticket stubs, pennies and sunglasses missing a lens).

With the caches I've placed, I like having the original items get traded for quickly. It means that I made a good selection and the contents of the cache will vary constantly.

As was said before, when families cache it's normal for each member to trade something. I've even been with groups of cachers when one person traded for something that another had just traded into the cache.

On one of my oldest caches, two early finders left the following log (I've edited it just a bit):

While we were on the highway getting here, we knew we had our work cut out for us, but not that much work! It looks like you also put a lot of work into this cache yourself. We had a lot of fun getting each of the caches, though, and the sites were interesting, also. Even though we didn't see much wildlife despite the usual birds and squirrels, we did see a few Chevy Impalas and maybe a Jaguar or two. We took the handwarmer, a Steeler's mug holder, a glowstick, a rubber snake, and a whistle; left a Where's George dollar bill, binoculars, a camera, a tape measurer, and a flashlight. We also left the Chicken Little travel bug. Thanks for the great cache!

My initial reaction as a fairly new hider was to get upset about all that trading for just two people. It basically recycled the entire contents of the cache! :blink: But before sending an angry e-mail or posting in the forums, I thought for a few minutes and noted the following:

1. They obviously had a great time on the cache hunt. This was a very complimentary log.

2. They left an equal number of items of similar value, AND a travel bug.

3. Here's the clincher: this is an 8 mile long multicache on a rails-to-trails. One member of this team completed the cache in a wheelchair. As far as I'm concerned, he could have taken the entire contents of the cache and left a business card, a golf ball, a rock and a McToy.

Ever since that day, I've never been worried about how people traded at my caches. I let go of the items the minute I finish hiding the container.

You can't expect people to trade just one item, and you can't expect item-for-item trading. As long as they trade value-for-value, you're doing OK. Unfortunately, most caches seem to go downhill in this regard. Whenever I go out to do maintenance on one of my caches, I plan on upswagging the cache. It's part of the game.

The best one that I have seen so far is "Took $5 bill and left Canadian quarter, we needed the money for gas." I have one ammo can out there that I put stuff in on as needed. It doesn't bother me to put $10 worth of dollar store or Wal-Mart stuff in once every month or 2.

Edited by hikergps