Visiting Ottawa Soon...

Landsharkz

Hello,

Landsharkz (of Victoria BC) are going to be visiting Ottawa from Feb 19-26 and would like to explore Ottawa and vicinity while getting out geocaching. Our first day will be spent enjoying the last day of Winterlude!

We won't have a vehicle and are wondering if there is a bookmark list of downtown caches, or ones accessible with a short bus ride/walk. Also, Mrs. Landsharkz would be open to finding a female caching companion for a couple of days during the week while Mr. LZ is working... poor guy :huh: We'll be bringing some TB's eastward with us to distribute and would be very happy to bring any TB's west when we return home. Thanks!

Hello,

Landsharkz (of Victoria BC) are going to be visiting Ottawa from Feb 19-26 and would like to explore Ottawa and vicinity while getting out geocaching. Our first day will be spent enjoying the last day of Winterlude!

We won't have a vehicle and are wondering if there is a bookmark list of downtown caches, or ones accessible with a short bus ride/walk. Also, Mrs. Landsharkz would be open to finding a female caching companion for a couple of days during the week while Mr. LZ is working... poor guy :huh: We'll be bringing some TB's eastward with us to distribute and would be very happy to bring any TB's west when we return home. Thanks!

I'm not aware of any bookmarks. However, I could send you a GPX of of 25 or so from my watchlist if you want. They include some along the canal where most of Winterlude takes place.

Scott

You'll like the Victoria Island Carbide Mill Cache :mellow:

Urban Microcache #2 is in a neat area to explore, and The North Star is pretty neat.

The following cache was really cool, but it's archived now :ph34r:

O Canada

Thanks CG!

Have you seen the icy cold weather in Ottawa?! We've got our skates sharpened in anticipation of the canal being open for skating. Hopefully the ice sculptures didn't melt with all the warm weather they had a while ago.

Yup - it's a tad chilly there right now. I've cached there at 30 above and 30 below, brrrr. I'm actually headed there myself in three weeks ;)

It's -4c here in Ottawa right now. :D

Here's the weather forecast for the next 7 days.

Scott

Well... at least it'll be good news for the Rideau Canal. Better than Waterlude last week... :D

Hopefully the ice sculptures didn't melt with all the warm weather they had a while ago.

Sadly, the ice sculptures pretty much melted the same day they were done this year ;) ... I went to see them on the 5th and there was already not much to see.

The huge snow sculptures should still be there when you visit though... as long as it doesn't rain. We are having a weird winter.

Thanks for all your suggestions. We are here in Ottawa and as welll as skating on the canal and visiting museums we're fitting in some caches. Baking Bread is proving to be a challenge... hence the 4 stars I guess! We've tried during the day and tried at night. We had the place to ourselves tonight at 11pm and came up empty handed. Hmmm. One cache has been inaccessible so far due to treacherous conditions, and possibly another, but we'll recheck our math before we give up. I guess it's back to the canal as we didn't have the gps loaded on Sunday when we took in the last day of Winterlude. This is a most beautiful city to visit during the winter, snow has been falling every day and we've met so many nice people.

Thanks for all your suggestions. We are here in Ottawa and as welll as skating on the canal and visiting museums we're fitting in some caches. Baking Bread is proving to be a challenge... hence the 4 stars I guess! We've tried during the day and tried at night. We had the place to ourselves tonight at 11pm and came up empty handed. Hmmm. One cache has been inaccessible so far due to treacherous conditions, and possibly another, but we'll recheck our math before we give up. I guess it's back to the canal as we didn't have the gps loaded on Sunday when we took in the last day of Winterlude. This is a most beautiful city to visit during the winter, snow has been falling every day and we've met so many nice people.

Glad you guys are having a good time in Ottawa. How long have you planned your visit?

Glad you guys are having a good time in Ottawa. How long have you planned your visit?

We've been here since last Saturday and we're leaving tomorrow morning. There's too many awesome galleries and museums to fit in a lot of caching, but tonight we're going to try to drop off the rest of the TB's and log some more caches. We spent a lot of time looking for Baking Bread...determined to find the impossible it seemed! :laughing: It's been replaced, so we should have a more bountiful search this time! :rolleyes:

A little present for the Ottawa cachers.... we brought a vigps.com geocoin with us and we'll be dropping it in a downtown Ottawa cache tonight :D . We really should have brought our complement of BFL's with us, we're going to out tonight with a tiny little LED trying to find hidden tupperware :huh:

We've also just received (electronically) the final artwork for the upcoming 2006 BC Geocoin, so we'll be moving on with getting that produced sometime soon after we get back to Victoria. Check vigps.com or PM us if you would like to be kept in the loop of it's release date. It's our first production, so we're learning as we go :huh: .