Explorist Rebate

geognerd

I sent in the rebate for my eXplorist 400 in early December. On the rebate form itself, it says if you have not received your check after 10 weeks, call this phone number. I'm coming up on the 10-week mark. I know I'm in their system - I got an e-mail saying "We have received your submission and it is being processed." I'm a rebate veteran and know they can take a while, but thought I'd ask if anyone has gotten their $50 yet. A lot of people bought the 4/5/600 recently because of the rebate.

I got the same email, and just checked the link now. Still says it is being processed. I read though the first link in Neo Geo's reply. At that time Magellan was using Weresmyrebate.com, now it it is with rebatestatus.com. Of course they could be the same outfit. Hopefully we aren't in for a repeat of what others went though.

I sent in the rebate for my eXplorist 400 in early December. On the rebate form itself, it says if you have not received your check after 10 weeks, call this phone number. I'm coming up on the 10-week mark. I know I'm in their system - I got an e-mail saying "We have received your submission and it is being processed." I'm a rebate veteran and know they can take a while, but thought I'd ask if anyone has gotten their $50 yet. A lot of people bought the 4/5/600 recently because of the rebate.

How long after you mailed your rebate in did you receive the email?

Scott

I'd like to echo the sentiments of the posters in that first topic linked by Neo Geo. Just today I had to get on Parago's case, which processes rebates for SanDisk. I looked at my notes and photocopies for the Magellan rebate, and see I mailed it Nov 14. So it looks like somebody will be getting a phone call. The key is indeed to occasionally check up on these companies to show that you haven't forgotten about the money.

Make sure you photocopy your rebate submission form, your receipts, and the UPC code. Take note of when you made the submission, so you know how much time has gone by. In my case, you see I underestimated by one month the amount of time my rebate has been outstanding. As for the UPC code, when trying to iron out a problem one time, the rep on the phone asked if I had the UPC number for the item. I imagine things wouldn't have gone as smoothly if I didn't.

I sent mine in the week between Christmas and New year's, and until 3 weeks ago, the rebate status was not entered. I checked just now when I found this thread, and they have received my info - it is being processed - but I never got an email stating that.

Just another "rebate" experience...

I purchased a large appliance at a local home improvement warehouse, (the blue/green one, not the orange one) and I received "Free Shipping" via mail-in rebate. 6 months, three emails, two phone calls later, I got my "free shipping rebate".

If it was really "free", how come I paid for it? One was evidently lost in the mail, one reissue lost in their system, and after the gal on the phone told me, "I'm sorry, but that offer has expired - there's nothing I can do!" which made me swear in her ear, and also got an answer that made more sense. They had a check to me in 5 days.

So don't forget about it! Call them frequently!

So I called the Rebate Status toll-free number today. Once I got to use the menu choice to talk to a human being, a rep answered right away. Nice that I didn't have to wait a long time. They found me in their system and they acknowledged that they've been "processing" my rebate for 12 weeks. Good. I'm in their system, and they know they're running behind. But the rep I spoke with said they had no idea when my check would be mailed or how long the Magellan rebates are taking to process. All they could say is that some rebates take 16 weeks to process. Ouch! I'll be posting my updates here.

I hate rebates. I bought a laptop with a $150.00 rebate which I was told to expect within 8 weeks (2 months). Right at the END of the 2 months they mailed the check which I didn't receive for a few days after that. That's not as bad as what you guys might be going through but it still sucks having to wait 2 months to get my end of the deal.

I often pass on the deals that offer rebates and just buy the next cheapest to avoid the rebate. I wonder if this is what companies are trying to accomplish.

Funny, how there is a built-in Delay loop with Rebate checks, to make it stretch out very long.

This is different than payroll checks, that take only about 4 days to process, and that includes them, being shipped from out of state, and if it's a holiday, you may not get the payroll check until later in the day on a friday.

Odd stuff here, and I know that it used to be at least an 8-week wait for the rebate check.

-

Geoff

I'm not totally sure if I will get my rebate, as I actually bought two 400's one online and one from Costco (400 bundled with 3D Topo) I sent in both rebates.

The one from Costco is handled online by Costco, and I put that one in my wife's name. I got that one by Christmas, the one direct from Magellan I'm still waiting for. If the two link into a central database I doubt I'll get the Magellan one.

Point is if you can buy from Costco, their rebates are pretty painless, and if you have problems it is easy to do a return.

Did you notice the rebate center is in Canada (Fonthill Ontario) and it requires a 63 cents stamp (for air mail)? They omitted to mention the country in the rebate form, it might not get there with a firstclass stamp.

You used the wrong form! You used the English Canadian form. The English US form I got from Magellan's site had a PO Box in Niagara Falls NY as the address to send to. The forms can be found here.

I called the toll-free number again today to get a status update from a human being. Didn't get that far, and didn't need to. The automated system told me my rebate was paid and that I should receive a check shortly.

Does the online status also reflect that, or does it still say processing?

Scott

I think the computer that cuts the checks is tied to the Web site where customers inquire about the status of the rebates! As soon as the customer inquires for the third time, the site replies "paid - you should receive a check shortly". Only THEN does the computer actually print the check and and then it goes through human processing! :grin:

I think the computer that cuts the checks is tied to the Web site where customers inquire about the status of the rebates! As soon as the customer inquires for the third time, the site replies "paid - you should receive a check shortly". Only THEN does the computer actually print the check and and then it goes through human processing! :grin:

Heh, I wish that was the case! I've gone to the site at least 15 times. Most of the people who have posted here have probably done the same.

Though it is a coincidence that I contacted Magellan the day before, letting them know the company that processes their rebates stinks. I know Garmin would light a fire under the rebate processor, but this is Magellan we're talking about. I would be impressed if they were so proactive in rectifying the situation.

I called the 800# this morning and they said the rebate has been paid, and I should receive my check shortly. Like Geonerd the website still says processing. On the phone message there is no mention of when it was paid. If I don't get it within a week, it will be time to call Magellan.

Got an e-mail from the rebate people:

The Thales Navigation, Inc. Rebate Center has completed processing your

submission for the following promotion:

Department: 065292 - eXplorist 400, 500, 600

Submission ID: ########

Your fulfillment has been mailed and you should be receiving it

shortly.

[blah blah blah...contact info...blah blah blah]

We appreciate your business. Thank you.

Please do not reply to this message. Because this message has been

automatically generated, your reply will not receive attention.

Rebates are a complete crock! If they are going to give you a deal then why not give it up front? They are counting on the fact that people will buy based on the rebate but won't send it in...then there is added and more insulting level where some rebates get misprocessed or are sent back unnecessarily for some tiny deficiency again in the hopes that people will loose interest and won't carrying through with resubmission even though you took the step to get the info in. Should we be putting up with this cr@p and doing these BS submissions just to get a sale price? The more people that buy based on this BS the longer we will have to deal with it. Its time we send the companies a message...Give us the sale up front d@mn it and forget the games and marketing manipulations! I will not buy anything based on a rebate its just not worth the headache when there are sales out there that are legit. Rant over :)

Rebates are a complete crock! If they are going to give you a deal then why not give it up front? They are counting on the fact that people will buy based on the rebate but won't send it in...then there is added and more insulting level where some rebates get misprocessed or are sent back unnecessarily for some tiny deficiency again in the hopes that people will loose interest and won't carrying through with resubmission even though you took the step to get the info in.

That's mostly correct. Another thing that rebates do is allow them to earn interest on your money before giving the rebate back to you. Or giving them some temporary cash they can use.

But question is... how many have gotten their rebate checks from Magellan and how long as it taken?

How the great Magellan has fallen in just the past two years......

Rebates are a complete crock! If they are going to give you a deal then why not give it up front? They are counting on the fact that people will buy based on the rebate but won't send it in...then there is added and more insulting level where some rebates get misprocessed or are sent back unnecessarily for some tiny deficiency again in the hopes that people will loose interest and won't carrying through with resubmission even though you took the step to get the info in.

That's mostly correct. Another thing that rebates do is allow them to earn interest on your money before giving the rebate back to you. Or giving them some temporary cash they can use.

But question is... how many have gotten their rebate checks from Magellan and how long as it taken?

How the great Magellan has fallen in just the past two years......

The only real thing you can fault Magellan for is choosing this particular company to handle the rebates. I've received many rebates for things over the years, and this one has to be the worst.

I'm currently waiting for two rebates from this same rebate company. One for my Explorist 600 and one for a Kingston 512MB SD card. Both were sent at the same time, and both have been in "processing" status for the same length of time. Mailed at the end of January, "processing" as of early March.

If anyone is at fault here, it's the company processing the rebates.

Scott

Got in today's mail, already deposited. Only 4 months after the fact. Don't think I will ever buy another Magellan product based on a rebate.

Got my check yesterday after waiting about 4.5 months. The rebate did equate to 20% off the unit's price so I guess it was worthwhile.

I got my $50 rebate check in the mail yesterday! :smile: It took about 3 months.

I'm still waiting. Mailed it in at the end of January.

I just noticed yesterday on the rebatestatus.com web site, it now gives me an "estimated date" that the cheque will be mailed: June 1st.

What's even stranger, is that I sent in another rebate at the same time for another item, and I received it (I think) over a month ago. I wonder why the difference in time, for two rebates sent at the same time. Mind you, one was in Cdn funds, and the Magellan one is U.S. funds. Not sure if that makes a diff.

Needless to say, despite the fact that I never minded rebates before, I've been avoiding buying anything that requires a rebate now, especially if it involves dealing with rebatestatus.com.

Scott

I must be a bit of a masochist. I bought an eXplorist 210 while the $30 rebate was underway ($95 final cost, couldn't resist). I sent the submission in about a month ago. I logged onto the RebateStatus website tonight to check what's going on. I saw that my $30 check is expected to be sent Aug 28. I don't remember them giving a date when I did my eXplorist 400's rebate earlier this year. Nice to have an expected fulfillment date - A step up from "Your submission is being processed."