For Non-geocacher's Place Cell Number If Found?

Labrador Wild Man

I have about Fourteen caches out, lost two and items missing, thought about the people in the local area ,not many people in this area yet do geocaching, would like to make a card to say "Please do not remove",if found Please call !!!!!!! to Non-Geocacher. and would help if Bears got to it and a person may find the card and could call to tell me it is lost by Bears.

I my be all wrong about it but just a idea that i have for my area.

I leave my cell phone number with all my caches. For a couple of them, it's printed on the outside.

Haven't yet ever gotten a call. I'm not sure what the paranoia is about leaving contact info on the cache.

Jamie

I have my e-mail address on all my caches and have put my cell phone number on some. I figure the more info the better if its found accidently.

I have my e-mail address on all my caches and have put my cell phone number on some. I figure the more info the better if its found accidently.

I have always left an email address on mine and phone numbers in some. Never received a call or email yet. But they are there if somebody ever needs to get hold of me.

I leave my cell phone number with all my caches. For a couple of them, it's printed on the outside.

Haven't yet ever gotten a call. I'm not sure what the paranoia is about leaving contact info on the cache.

Jamie

I've seen a few caches where the contact info (including the phone number) was clearly written on the container itself, or on the stash note.

It's unlikely telemarketers obtain phone numbers from Geocaches, but I can sympathize with the paranoia, since the telephone company has failed in protecting consumer privacy. :laughing:

I definitely sypmathize with the concerns, wouldn't go as far as paranoia. If you have never tried a reverse phone lookup try it on your own phone number and then see what turns up. With the hackers and scam artists out there only a little info is needed to get at a lot more. I have a friend who is an expert hacker by profession (security expert) and what he can do with reverse phone lookups would blow your socks off.

However, you'll find that a reverse cell number does not work as well so is much safer.

JDandDD

If you have never tried a reverse phone lookup try it on your own phone number and then see what turns up. With the hackers and scam artists out there only a little info is needed to get at a lot more.

I still don't see the paranoia. So someone can reverse look up my phone number to get my name and address. Big deal. So come over and have a beer. That information is widely available in phone books and elsewhere online already.

Someone once chastized me for posting a picture of my car with the license plate visible, suggesting that harm could come my way. As with phone numbers, names, addresses, and lots of other things, it's widely available information already. Me putting it on a box somewhere cannot possibly open me up to do-no-gooders.

You're right. Lots of information is available. My own mother, for example, often asks me about some of my latest exploits in our phone conversations before I even mention them. She's already googled my name and seen pictures. It's kinda startling sometimes, but I've got nothing to hide, so google away.

I think the very worst thing that could happen is if some kids wanted to have some fun and call the phone number at all hours.

I'll gladly post my name, address, and phone number here on the forums... What can anybody possibly do except come knock me up for a beer and a chat?

If I'm missing something, someone please enlighten me.

Jamie

Oh.. and to relate this to the OP, I think putting contact information in/on the cache should be done. In the rare cases where someone isn't sure what they've found, and whether they ought to report it to the police, at least there is a chance they might make a phone call to you first to find out.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

If I'm missing something, someone please enlighten me.

Jamie

Do you have a daughter that lives with you? I don't either, but maybe people who do can express their concerns.

That would be interesting.

I understand where Jamie is coming from and I sincerely hope that's the worst that happens. I have had the (mis?) fortune of working in the criminal justice system for 20 years and still get amazed at what these guys can do. Probably made me more suspicious than I should be but I no longer assume that giving out more info than required is necessarily safe.

Besides, if you put the proper disclaimer in the cache there are ways to be informed of problems through geocaching.com. The issues with Disney and Parks Canada in Jasper Park (among other postings) reported in these forums have shown that it works too so I don't think more info is necessary so why take any chance at all.

JDandDD

Edited by JDandDD

Perhaps as cache owners we could provide Groundspeak a contact phone number and if someone contacts Groundspeak about one your caches Signal can call you about it. I share Jamie Z's view on this all you have to do these days to get someones address and map to their house is type in their phone number on Google.

Do you have a daughter that lives with you?

No. Unfortunately I don't have any daughters living with me. There are a few daughters that come by my place now and then, though. Do you know any 20-something daughters that are single? I'm always open to co-ed geocaching. :)

Jamie