Pc Cable For Etrex Software?

el-toro

I have the etrex and recently got the pc cable so I could download waypoints to it. I got the serial to USB adaptor and downloaded EasyGPS software. The problem is I can't get me computer to recognize where the GPS unit is. It keeps searching COM ports which it isn't connected to and when I try to select USB, it says no USB ports are available.

If I try to do it through EasyGPS, the port click down menu is blank and offers no options.

Any suggestions?

If GPS unit require a serial connection the USB/Serial adapter cable must be assigned a proper COM port. That COM port number must be supplied to whatever software (EasyGPS) you are using. To find what COM port USB drivers/Windows have assigned the USB adapter go to Control Panel - System- Hardware- Device Manager - Ports and find what COM panel number was assigned to adapter cable. My system usually assigns COM 5 to USB/Serial adapter, your may be different. It's also necessary to load USB/Serial adapter drivers off CD Rom BEFORE you plug in USB/Serial adapter.

Dale

I have the etrex and recently got the pc cable so I could download waypoints to it.  I got the serial to USB adaptor and downloaded EasyGPS software.  The problem is I can't get me computer to recognize where the GPS unit is.  It keeps searching COM ports which it isn't connected to and when I try to select USB, it says no USB ports are available.

If I try to do it through EasyGPS, the port click down menu is blank and offers no options.

Any suggestions?

You did install the driver for the adapter?

Thanks for the help. I now have my computer recognizing the port and I've set everything up in EasyGPS. But, when I go to send or receive information, it gives me this message:

"No Data was received from the GPS"

All the EasyGPS help tells me to do is set up the interface on the GPS unit which is already at the required setting.

Any suggestions to solve this problem? And again, thanks for the help with the rest.

Is the interface on your Etrex set to Garmin?

Yes, it is.

I've also tried GSAK and it give me a similar message that says "Can't INIT COMM 4" or COMM 3 if that is the case.

I've done everything the help sections from both programs suggest, which really isn't very much, and still no luck. The green light comes on for the serial to USB adapter meaning it is working but no data is getting transfered through the cable.

Should there be anything on the screen of my etrex indicating it is connected? For instance, when I plug my cellphone into my computer, the screen has an icon letting me know it is ready for data transfer. I'm trying to determine if it is the etrex, the cable, the adapter, or the computer causing the problems.

Edited by el-toro

Yes, it is.

I've also tried GSAK and it give me a similar message that says "Can't INIT COMM 4" or COMM 3 if that is the case.

I've done everything the help sections from both programs suggest, which really isn't very much, and still no luck. The green light comes on for the serial to USB adapter meaning it is working but no data is getting transfered through the cable.

Should there be anything on the screen of my etrex indicating it is connected? For instance, when I plug my cellphone into my computer, the screen has an icon letting me know it is ready for data transfer. I'm trying to determine if it is the etrex, the cable, the adapter, or the computer causing the problems.

I have the exact same problem with my Legend. GSAK doesn't work at all and EasyGPS tells me the same thing as yours but if I look at my display it says "download complete" at the bottom, but there is nothing there. Go figure.

Mark

When you do what Dale_Lynn suggested, what is the complete list of com ports that you see and, especially what is the com port of the USB-serial device?

If your USB-serial device came with a driver disk and you did not use this driver disk, then you should disconnect the device from the PC, uninstall the driver, install driver with the disk, and then plug the device back in (in that order). If it did not come with drivers, then you should be OK with the ones that Windows already has.

You said that "I now have my computer recognizing the port "; how do you know this? Are you able to use it with other software or devices?

Also, are you using other devices on the same port (e.g. a Palm PDA)? If so, then the software associated with these devices could be grabbing the com port and not releasing it to other software. Note that when one software package grabs the com port, no other software can access it. So if Hotsync (for a Palm Device) or Mapsource is using the device, then EasyGPS or GSAK cannot. To solve such problems, exit the programs that might be using the port and try it again.

Edited by Hynr

When you do what Dale_Lynn suggested, what is the complete list of com ports that you see and, especially what is the com port of the USB-serial device?

Did this and it shows me COMM4 for the device.

If your USB-serial device came with a driver disk and you did not use this driver disk, then you should disconnect the device from the PC, uninstall the driver, install driver with the disk, and then plug the device back in (in that order). If it did not come with drivers, then you should be OK with the ones that Windows already has.

Driver has been installed from adapter CD, unistalled and reinstalled a couple of times.

You said that "I now have my computer recognizing the port "; how do you know this? Are you able to use it with other software or devices?

When I plug the cable in, the computer gives me the new hardward bubble then recognizes it as a Belkin Serial-to-USB. I'm using Windows XP if that matters. Also, when I use EasyGPS, it gives me the option to select COMM4 it just doesn't do anything after that.

Also, are you using other devices on the same port (e.g. a Palm PDA)? If so, then the software associated with these devices could be grabbing the com port and not releasing it to other software. Note that when one software package grabs the com port, no other software can access it. So if Hotsync (for a Palm Device) or Mapsource is using the device, then EasyGPS or GSAK cannot. To solve such problems, exit the programs that might be using the port and try it again.

I'm not using anyother serial-to-usb devices. I use a digital camera, printer, and cell phone through USB cables. No PDA, Hotsync, Mapsource or anything like that.

I'm having another cable sent to me and I am considering taking the adapter back and getting a different brand one somewhere else. I got this Belkin adapter at Circuit City. Has anyone gotten one anywhere else that has worked for them?

OK. That is very helpful in eliminating some remote possibilities.

Let’s try this: off the Windows Start menu: Control Panel, System, Hardware, click on Device Manager; find the USB-serial device in the list (under Ports); right-click on this line and select “Properties”

Note on the “General tab” you should be able to read somewhere “This device is working properly”. If not, then you have probably found your problem; you can do a “Troubleshoot” but it may well be that the unit is defective.

It should also say at the bottom of this tab: “Use this device (enable)”

Assuming that everything is well on this tab, do the following:

On the “Port Settings” tab make sure the settings are 9600 bits per second, 8 data bits, no Parity, 1 stop bit, and no flow control. (Just for kicks click on “Advanced” and verify that it is using “Com4" consistent with your earlier understanding). If you had to change any settings to these, then you may well have found your problem. Note you can probably also specifically select a Com# if you like, if you’re tired of trying to make Com4 work for you.

If you made any changes, be sure you save them by clicking OK (rather than Cancel).

Run GSAK. On the menu bar at the top click on GPS and the Setup. Select Garmin, make sure the “GPS is USB” checkbox is UNCHECKED, Communications port is COM4 (it should be on the dropdown). If you had to change anything, then you found your problem. Click on OK

Now turn the GPS on (up until this point it does not need to be on). Clear out all existing waypoints. (I assume you know how to delete existing waypoints).

Click on GPS and “Send Waypoints....”, on the dialog: reduce the number of waypoints to be loaded to be 100 (no need to try more). Click Send. Are you now seeing the same problem or is the problem solved?

Hynr:

I did everything you listed. Still the same problem. It says "ERROR: GPS Timed Out: Can't Init Comm 4"

When I was checking the ports under the advanced menu, where you can change all the COMM ports, it did list COMM 3 (in use). So, I tried changing everything over to COMM 3 to see if that made a difference. Same problem.

My dad also has a etrex and I'm going to see him this weekend. I'm going to try his etrex with the same cable and adapter and see if I can eliminate the GPS from the problem.

Any other suggestions to try?

If GPS unit require a serial connection the USB/Serial adapter cable must be assigned a proper COM port. That COM port number must be supplied to whatever software (EasyGPS) you are using. To find what COM port USB drivers/Windows have assigned the USB adapter go to Control Panel - System- Hardware- Device Manager - Ports and find what COM panel number was assigned to adapter cable. My system usually assigns COM 5 to USB/Serial adapter, your may be different. It's also necessary to load USB/Serial adapter drivers off CD Rom BEFORE you plug in USB/Serial adapter.

Dale

I didn't get any CD ROM's with drivers with my GPSr. HELP! (btw, i'm having the same problem where easyGPS isn't recognizing my GPSr is connected)

I have the etrex and recently got the pc cable so I could download waypoints to it. I got the serial to USB adaptor and downloaded EasyGPS software. The problem is I can't get me computer to recognize where the GPS unit is. It keeps searching COM ports which it isn't connected to and when I try to select USB, it says no USB ports are available.

Any suggestions?

I had the exact same problem and I fixed it this morning. If there are no COM port options in the drop down menu in easyGPS, you have to go into your BIOS and enable them. Took me all of a minute, then everything worked fine and I downloaded the waypoints with no problem! Hope that helps!