Lemon Csx?

I am I the first to encounter this problem: select a waypoint, then enter on MAP. Once waypoint is selected then press menu for "setup map". When I press enter the gps actually dies (whether battery powered or powered by external source) and I have to turn the gps on again. Does anybody know if there is any possible explanation for this (I did just load a 512mb card) or will my next icefishing trip be found with my mapbook while I wait for a warranty repair. I'd appreciate any insight.

Thanx :o

On a 512mb card, its easy to exceed the max number of map segments loaded onto it, and I believe it's about 1050 segments. This is easy to exceed, especially if you loaded a bunch of TOPO segments onto the card.

-

Geoff

You gotta be kidding me? I have a 512 SD card in my Cobra 1000 and a ton of detailed maps intalled- hardly scratching the surface...Really sorry for you guys trying to use Garmin for accurate cache hunting/placement.

Geoff

You gotta be kidding me? I have a 512 SD card in my Cobra 1000 and a ton of detailed maps intalled- hardly scratching the surface...Really sorry for you guys trying to use Garmin for accurate cache hunting/placement.

Like I said, I have 490 meg loaded (most of the east coast) & no problems.

Edited by whitecrow

Yes I have the new update, and no I did not have more than 1050 map segments (I had 1043). When I wiped the card and only loaded it with 280 mb the problem dissappeared. Perhaps the firmware still cannot cope with the upper limits of the memory card. The problem only occured when trying to switch between city and topo while entered onto a POI.

Edited by poormanshummer

On my 60csx, in non satelite mode and with Lithium batteries, my unit does the screen fade and turn itself off frequently. It seems to happen especially with in the setup section but also when zooming in on a map etc. It happens with both the 64mb and 512mb cards. I am now trying non lithium batteries to see if that is causing it. I have emailed Garmin and await a reply.

Regards,

John.

I have upgraded the firmware on my new 60Cx, and it is working fine now.

The problem seems to be for me is the TOPO maps are causing problems.

MY 60Cx, when I go to the MAP Page, or change zoom levels, the GPS will start drawing the entire screen with TOPO very slowely at say a zoom of 5 miles, then when it's done drawing, it clears the screen, then starts again drawing City Select maps, so all this can take many many seconds. This also occurs on my older 60C non-X unit.

The solution to this, is to go into Mapsetup, then Select HIDE TOPO, and only use TOPO when you need it or zoomed in closer than 3 mile zoom level, also the Map Detail level should be kept down when zoomed out.

TOPO can be Detail intensive on my 60C and 60Cx.

I'm going to try adding more City select maps now and see how my new 60Cx handles it.

It is cool that the units can handle larger memory cards now.

-

Geoff

Edited by GOT GPS?

My 2 week old GPSMap60csx stops and fades out when in the altimeter page as soon as it is moved. This does not happen on any other page. Does anyone else have such a problem?

My 2 week old GPSMap60csx stops and fades out when in the altimeter page as soon as it is moved. This does not happen on any other page. Does anyone else have such a problem?

No - I was using NI-MH1300mAh 1.2V (they were not run down). It also occurred when cable-powered in the car. I have now put in alkaline and the problem seems to have stopped, though this may be just coincidence. I contacted Garmin and this is their reply.

"I recommend you try a master reset on your unit. To do this press and hold

PAGE + ENTER + ON. Please note this will reset your unit and wipe all data."

I have not done this (yet).

I have noticed in other threads that many others are having power-down problems. Some are related to Lithium batteries (over voltage problems) but others do not seen to have a pattern.