Strange Email I Got

uncleboogie

I found a travel bug this weekend and logged it in that i found it and what not. I get this email from someone through the geocaching web site wanting me to drop the TB off at another cache or wanting to come pick it up on a certain date. Here is what the email said:

"Granadven is is Fort Myers today. Spunky started in Ann Arbor Michigan in April 2005. What are the chances we could get Spunky back to Ruthless Huron View at zip 48105? Or pick him up before Feb 7 and take him back? Thanks for the update. The Gran".

Now, I checked out there profile and they have been a member for about a year, but no cache's found, watching, etc.... They have no information. Just seems a little weird to me, or since I'm a newbie am I over reacting?

Thanks for the help!!!!

You're over reacting. I've received e-mails many times about TBs I've picked up. I've had people ask me to mail them back, put them in specific caches and take them certain places. One person asked me to bring it to Maine. Nevermind that it's a 10 hour drive for me :huh: . Had to turn that request down. Some owners have a take a very personal interest in their TBs.

If you can't help the owner out just say so and put it in the next cache you find.

Edited by briansnat
I found a travel bug this weekend and logged it in that i found it and what not. I get this email from someone through the geocaching web site wanting me to drop the TB off at another cache or wanting to come pick it up on a certain date. Here is what the email said:

"Granadven is is Fort Myers today. Spunky started in Ann Arbor Michigan in April 2005. What are the chances we could get Spunky back to Ruthless Huron View at zip 48105? Or pick him up before Feb 7 and take him back? Thanks for the update. The Gran".

Now, I checked out there profile and they have been a member for about a year, but no cache's found, watching, etc.... They have no information. Just seems a little weird to me, or since I'm a newbie am I over reacting?

Thanks for the help!!!!

Since it was signed 'The Gran' and the TB owner is grandadvens, I would feel safe to assume the TB owner contacted you under a different login. :huh:

I can see where there'd be some confusion... Spunky, the Cocker Spaniel is owned by grandadvens; this account does have a caching history. But the email that the OP got was from granadven, who are apparently the same people (signed up the same day as "grandadvens", similar name, email sounds like they own the bug) -- but this account has no caching history at all.

(edit: don't you hate it when even your edited corrections have typos?)

Edited by the hermit crabs

I figured I would be a little over reacting :huh: . I did email them back saying I wasn't quit sure what they we asking, could they be more spacific......haven't heard anything back yet. Do you think "Ruthless Huron View at zip 48105" is the name of the cache? Is there a way to do a search by name for a cache?

I figured I would be a little over reacting :huh: .  I did email them back saying I wasn't quit sure what they we asking, could they be more spacific......haven't heard anything back yet.  Do you think "Ruthless Huron View at zip 48105"  is the name of the cache?  Is there a way to do a search by name for a cache?

On the GC.com homepage, on the left click "Hide and Seek a Cache"

On that page there are many options, including search by zip code ( i.e. 48105) and by the cache name.

edit: amazing how one letter can throw the whole sentence off. :)

Edited by Airmapper
Thanks for the link!!!! "853.9mi from your home coordinates" I don't think so!!! Looks like I'll be placing this in another cache this weekend. Thanks everyone for your help!!!! :lol:

You may want to put a note in the baggie with the bug stating the new destination, since you are so selfish that you won't drive 800 miles to deliver a toy!! :lol:

Seriously, if the owner wants it back, put a note on/with the bug to help it along its journey. There are those that say changing a tb in any way is wrong, but the owner wants it back, so how else to do it?

That's what I would do, anyway. Flame on.

The owner also asked if they could pick up the TB before 7 Feb, perhaps they are vacationing. I would wait to hear from the owners and then I would tell them what cache I was going to place the bug in. Or even better, arrange to meet them for coffee somewhere and then you get to meet fellow cachers.

If 7 Feb comes and goes with no word from the owners then I would place the TB into a cache with a note about the new destination.

I'm sorry to see that you didn't do as the owner requested and get the TB back to him.

In your shoes, I probably would've arranged to meet the owner while he was in town. I find that geocachers have some pretty good caching stories to share!

If you felt uncomfortable meeting him/her in person, you could've arranged to drop the bug in a local cache so he could retrieve it himself.

I would've felt uncomfortable NOT doing as the owner had requested, particularly since the TB's "mission" is to get back to Michigan.

Just my 2 cents.