Pilots And Airport Caches

Cubpilot

As a private and/or corporate pilot I fly to various airports and usually have time waiting around for my passengers to arrive and it would be neat to have caches located within half a mile or a mile from the airport that could be searched out during the wait. This would be especially nice at the smaller airports around the country. Many pilots are seeking a place to fly on weekends for lunch or some other purpose and seeking caches would be a nice change to the $100 hamburger. Any pilots out there interested in this?

This is a cool idea. Someone in these forums once told me about how he sometimes used his Cessna on caching trips. He had one of those folding bikes for going around the airport area.

Once I get my license I think it would be a nice way to gain hours/ experience.

[edit to add: since everyone always asks, no, I am not a helicopter pilot.]

Edited by Airmapper

The easiest way to search would be to search using the numbers for the specific airport you are flying into or at, this will show you all caches that are near the numbers/airport you are at. If it is a full service FBO I am sure they will even have a crew car to let you borrow. If it is a busy area I am sure there are caches well within 1/2 mile of the airport.

The problem is that this website will not approve caches near airports. People wandering around near runways tend attract the attention of security these days.

Then place the cache in the airport. I do not believe the guidelines state that a cace container must be placed outside.

Cubpilot: As you travel about ask the airport manager or some other official at the airport if they would be willing to place a cache container inside. Explain that pilots and nonpilots would be stopping in to trade swag, etc.