Server Very Slow (in Uk)

Paradiddle

Hi. Don't know if this is the right place to raise this topic but here goes. Over the past few days the website has been really, really slow, especially when you want to view or edit travel bug pages or move almost anywhere away from the main search pages. I am in the UK. Has anyone else experienced this? It's getting to the point that it's so slow it's very frustrating and if it continues to degrade it will be almost unusable!

Thanks Keystone for directing this post to the correct page. I see that this issue has been raised already.

[Pretty typical, though, isn't it, for a weekend?]

Perhaps, but this is a problem that only seems to have arisen over the past week or so. We haven't experienced this sort of delay previously, and we'd never experienced a "time out" on the server until this week. So I think it's definitely a new problem (? could it be linked to the recent site upgrades??)

The slowdown here seems to be caused by the advertisements.

The pages never stop loading but I agree that it appears to be the advertisement on the left side of the page that is the culprit. Everything else is there but not that.

I just ignore that. No other slowdowns that I've seen.

JDandDD

I've seen weekend slowdowns before, but nothing like this weekend. Bugs would not leave inventory, even though the post eventually went through and more server timeout and conflict/lockup (I forgot the exact term) errors than I've ever seen before (Ok, I don't think I've ever had a time-out or conflict/lock-up before the upgade)..

Interesting what people are writing. Sounds like something odd because we seem to be experiencing different things. I haven't seen any of the logging problems or server issues but certainly have seen the advertisement slowness and pages never stop loading.

Probably will be fixed tomorrow. I'd guess that with all the recent changes something's just a little off and causing communications problems between Groundspeak's various severs. The servers I manage at work will experience this occasionally and always seems to be weekends when no one is around.

JDandDD

Interesting what people are writing. Sounds like something odd because we seem to be experiencing different things. I haven't seen any of the logging problems or server issues but certainly have seen the advertisement slowness and pages never stop loading.

Probably will be fixed tomorrow. I'd guess that with all the recent changes something's just a little off and causing communications problems between Groundspeak's various severs. The servers I manage at work will experience this occasionally and always seems to be weekends when no one is around.

JDandDD

Snap, snap, snappy just now. Your post seems to have cured the ills. ©¿©¬

Pretty typical, though, isn't it, for a weekend?

Not really. Everyone keeps saying that but in my almost 2 year geocaching history I have never seen this site acting the way it has for the last few days. I'm still working on my 11 cache finds from yesterday.

I'm in Georgia in the USA so its not just a UK issue.

The powers that need to know this have already acknowledged a problem so they know.

Most of the issues seem to be with travelbugs. But I have also noticed that when I get an e-mail about a forum I'm subscribed too, it doesn't take me directly to the new message all the time like it always does. I'm just going to give it a couple more days and hopefully things will get fixed.

Happy caching

Shilo

Perhaps the dilithium cyrstals have recharged, or maybe the people that feed the hamsters that power the site have given them some vitamins; whatever it is the site certainly seems back to full power.

Anyone else noticed an improvement in general site update speed (especially accessing travel bug pages) over the past day or so?

But then again, it's not the weekend....

Edited by Paradiddle