Cacher Of The Month 2006 Announcement

adambro

Cacher of the Month 2006

As many of you will know, Deego is no longer compiling the Cacher of the Month tables. I have been working on a dynamic solution to allow the competition to continue. If you haven't seen the website yet, you can find it at www.aebrookes.co.uk/cotm.

One of Deego's major problems with Cotm was the time it took to compile all the results each month. I am working on a website that allows you to input your results yourself into the database.

Along with making it easier to manage, it opens up some new possibilities. Firstly, you will be able to see the stats for 2006 develop as the year goes on, meaning you can see if your top position is at risk.

I have also created a stat bar image you can use, see the example below.

sig.png

To submit your results online, you will need to register. This will allow you to log in. You can find more details about the stat bar once you are logged in. Registration is currently only open to those who have participated before. If you are new or don't wish to register, you can email your results to me as before.

I would encourage registering as soon as possible so that any problems can be dealt with before the 1st of February when it is time for the January stats to start coming in.

I am continuing to develop features for the site and would welcome any suggestions. I will be making it so you can change your password and register if you are new soon.

Any questions or comments, please contact me.

Regards,

Adam Brookes

My only note so far is that personally I am a little bit uncomfortable with having adverts on the COTM webstie. I ignore them as a matter of course but it could be seen as profiteering from a community service.

Sorry about that, they've gone, I've just been trying out how good Google's Adsense is at generating relevant ads for another project.

Adam

Hi there,

Yes you should do, AOL doesn't seem to like the email though. I'll contact you via email to sort it.

Adam

Edited to say that anyone else who registers should check that the registration email isn't ending up in their 'Spam' mailbox folder.

Edited by adambro

Thanks for the email, all sorted now. <_<

The site looks good, and I haven't actually entered for a long time, I think it's time to start again, although I don't have much to enter this month so far?

My email didn't end up in my spam folder, so what ever the problem is with AOL the emails aren't making it to the spam folder.

although I don't have much to enter this month so far?

My email didn't end up in my spam folder, so what ever the problem is with AOL the emails aren't making it to the spam folder.

Right a few things to comment on there.

All entries are welcome.

I've just tried sending you a test email from my server, I hope you don't mind, to try to get AOL to bounce it back but they don't seem to be boucing. I don't expect you'll see it if you didn't see the registration email anyway. I'm going to contact AOL to hopefully get it sorted.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean about back dating, do you mean you want to add entries for the months you didn't enter? I will add some text to the profile page to say that the stats are just from your cotm entries to make it clearer.

I've just tried sending you a test email from my server, I hope you don't mind, to try to get AOL to bounce it back but they don't seem to be boucing. I don't expect you'll see it if you didn't see the registration email anyway. I'm going to contact AOL to hopefully get it sorted.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean about back dating, do you mean you want to add entries for the months you didn't enter? I will add some text to the profile page to say that the stats are just from your cotm entries to make it clearer.

I don't mind you using my account for tets, however I'm off to work soon, so it may be a short while before I can reply.

Yes it was for the months on which I hadn't entered, if this isn't possible, there is no need to change any text. I just want my numbers to be higher <_<

I'll keep an eye on the AOL problem and see if I can come up with a solution. Anyone who registers from an AOL account should expect to recieve and email from me if they don't recieve the registration email.

HH: My only thought about that is do you really want to look throught all your old GC.com records to add them to COTM? I can understand you wanting your stats to better reflect your caching. I'll put something along the lines of your average points per entry on the profile page and maybe put this on the statbar. Maybe even allow users to decide what stats they want on their statbar.

My priority at the moment though is getting the change password working, expecting to have it online this afternoon.

Adam

Edited by adambro
Now pleased to announce that the 'Change Password' feature is online:

Changed my password without problem, thank you.

I like the new way that the stats can be updated online.

I guess it won't be long now until the monthly updates will be done automatically from the GC web stats?

Now that would be cool.

<_<:PB)

Jon

Just registered - all OK but I did get the "Confirmation" e-mail three times with three different passwords!

I've also sucessfully changed my password so that bit seems to be working OK.

I suppose the real test will come in 9 days when everyone starts logging their stats for January!

Yes, that is why I'm wanting to iron out any problems as soon as possible. Could you have clicked register more than once? I can't think of why it would do that but I will put preventing it do that on my list of things to do.

Thanks for letting me know that you've succesfully used the Change Password feature.

Adam

When i went to register i noticed that my name is spelt wrongly in the list, it's Ashaaria not Ashaaira, is it possible to get it altered please?

For reasons only known to my laptop, i can't contact you through your page.

Thanks, Ashaaria

Done.

Adam

That was quick - thank you <_<

Thanks Adam we have also registered, Just need to find some caches now  :)

Do you want me to take you out and give you a lesson in cache hunting :D :D

Well it would save on phone calls when you couldn't find the cache, as I would be stood next to you (or rather I would be next to the cache) :):)

Adam, how long before those of us who've never participated before can register?

I've added you into the database so you can now register.

Anyone who hasn't taken part before, please email me and I'll add your GC.com username to the database.

I'm in the process of developing the register form to allow for new users but its slightly more complex so I expect it to be a few days before I get it done.

Adam