Screen Protectors

bkeoran

Ditto what Badlands said. I also purchased mine from Strong Engineering and they fit great! It's sorta like putting clear vinyl seat covers on your car - they help keep your screen nice so when you sell your used unit to the next guy he/she will have a nice scratch-free screen. :(

I've used them on three GPSRs and highly recommend them. I personally think they restrict vision a tiny (but barely noticeable) bit. After all there is another thin layer of plastic to view through.

No... they don't reduce glare. They are clear vinyl and have a shine to them.

However, that being said, they do protect the screen. On a PDA touchscreen that's important to remember. The more scratches on the screen the more frustrating it becomes to use it.

On GPS receivers , the protection is cosmetic for resale purposes.

I use them on my phone and on my PDA. My GPS is old enough I'm not worried about scratches and scrapes and I'm certainly not going to resell it. When I replace it, it will be FUBAR.

I believe the one time RK is talking about is the time he forgot and left his GPS V on top of his car. It left the car at a high rate of speed, but it survived. I also use screen protetors from Strong Engineering. They are more than cosmetic for me. It must be all the bush whacking I do, but I find that I have to change screen protectors about once a month due to all the scratches they have incurred. I would hate to have to read the screen if they had all been put directly on it. ;)

I was talking with an experienced geocacher here in Florida when he noticed that my GPSMAP60CS did not have a screen protector installed. Since we spend a lot of time in mosquito and bug infested areas during our cache hunts he said that a screen protector will prevent insect repellents, especially those containing DEET, from etching the GPS screen. Since I didn't want to take any chances, I installed a screen protector as soon as I got home. Seems to work fine and doesn't affect readability at all.

i use one custom made for my 60cs from invisible shield dot com

i bought it after reading about it on this forum. the screen looks just as if the shield wasnt on (well almost). and it is extremely tough. much better than ones you buy at best buy for a pda and cut to size.

check out the video demo they have on the web site. with shipping the thing ran over $10 but it is guarenteed for life.

FYI, i heard DEET can be harmful to the buttons. dont know, just heard this.

For anything with a touch-sensitive screen (PDA, PocketPC or some dedicated GPS units), a screeen protector is strongly recommended. Any scratches or damage will degrade the sensitivity of the screen and make it harder to use.

Buildup of dirt or contaminants, if you're in the Great Outdoors will also make it harder to use and harder to see...