Does Anyone Make Coins Out Of Clay?

UOTrackers

I bought some Sculpy about a week ago and have been having fun with cookie cutters. So far I've made about 25 Angels, and 6 coins. the Angels I painted pink with glitter on one side and wrote GeoAngel. I had started numbering them but quit after #5 when I found that the glaze made the ink run. I was using a Sharpie fine tip marker. So now I'm at a standstill till I can figure out a better way to "write" on them. It's just plain white clay. Any tips or suggestions?

Well as a potter.

Not Harry............

I use to do Raku themes.

I made some very intersting pots,bowls beads as well as round flat trinkets,but this was many moons before my geocaching day's.

You never know how exactly that it is going to turn out.

But it is always beautiful.

I did it while in college art for learning how to be a potter,throw pots.

I could do that well but not the way you think.

Raku Technique

FLH0003GM-120.jpg

I use to make little worlds,like the one shown above.

You have to place a hole in both ends or it will explode.

I could not find Raku coins.

But if you imaginge a coin like this photo in gold.

FLH0029MD-120.jpg

Making coins would require painting the glazes in specific places like lettering or designs.

But as stated you never know how the glazes will diffuse.

But each one is unique and beautiful.

actually if you wanted regular clay and unusual burn marks i fired some tiny pieces in my webber with leaves and wood...of course you won't get the full beauty of raku but i got nice and unusual markings and they held up for a long time outside in the weather. don't know why you couldn't make coin size objects. i too have used the sharpies but find they bleed into the material easily when i need fine details. i found my gel writers with a fine point did better. a finepoint with a gel type ink might work better . i have been playing with sculpey the last week and am having some nice results.. will post when they get painted if anyone wants to see, have also been doing some wooden nickels.

Edited by qattales
I've been playing with the 6 coins I cut out and sharpie markers but like I said before the glaze smears the marker.

Give the ink a couple days to dry before you glaze them. The clay will draw the ink into its surface somewhat.

Be liberal with the glaze, allowing it to more or less flow off the brush on its own and disperse, rather than trying to brush it around.

The process ends up taking a few days or more between steps, but looks good when finished