Possible To Recover Etrex Basemaps If Deleted?

The general consensus is that its impossible to delete the basemap. Are you sure that you have? and how did you do it?

I installed a few Mapsource US Topo maps of my area, and now the basemap is simply nowhere to be found. I navigated all around the Map options on my Legend, and can only find the two Topos I installed (US West, San Berdinadino SE and SW, if I recall correctly).

Thanks for helping,

Mr. Wisearse.

The basemap is still there. If you navigate outside the area where the topos are loaded, you'll see the basemap. Also, there should be a way to hide US Topo maps so that the basemap will show. I know the keystrokes to do this with the Legend C (From the Map page, press MENU » 'Setup Map' » ENTR. One of maps you've loaded will be listed. Press MENU again, then » 'Hide US Topo'» ENTR). The regular Legend should have something similar.

Anyone? Buehler? Anyone?

Edited by Sputnik 57
The basemap is still there. If you navigate outside the area where the topos are loaded, you'll see the basemap. Also, there should be a way to hide US Topo maps so that the basemap will show. I know the keystrokes to do this with the Legend C (From the Map page, press MENU » 'Setup Map' » ENTR. One of maps you've loaded will be listed. Press MENU again, then » 'Hide US Topo'» ENTR). The regular Legend should have something similar.

Anyone? Buehler? Anyone?

Thanks a bunch for helping me out here.

I went to Map Setup and found a list of the few Topo maps I have installed. There USED to be a box and an option to select someting like "Us basemap 2001" or whatnot. It's not longer there.

So I uncheck all the then look at my current map position. All I see are highways, none of the major streets are listed, just the highways. Very peculiar.

I went to map options again, selected "Restore defaults." No change. I still can't find the check box to select the default map that came with the Garmin. I just see my Topos to choose from.

Best,

Mr. Wisearse.

Where you've found the list of the installed maps in the map options, there's a check box next to each map. Just uncheck it to hide those layers.

I have MetroGuide and Topo installed with the MetroGuide hidden so what I see is the Topo, but the POI's are still searchable if I want them.

on the map page:

menu => seup map

hi-light the 'i', up to menu

you should have the option of show all, show none, show US topo, etc.

exactly what you see will depend on what maps you have loaded. when you have all the detailed maps off, or are outside the area they cover, the basemap will show.

on the map page:

menu => seup map

hi-light the 'i', up to menu

you should have the option of show all, show none, show US topo, etc.

exactly what you see will depend on what maps you have loaded. when you have all the detailed maps off, or are outside the area they cover, the basemap will show.

That seems to be the problem. When I have none of the Topo maps selected, I don't get my basemap. I get only highways, none of the streets I used to get.

The highways are the basemap. If you had streets before then you had MetroGuide (or City Select/Nav) maps loaded. Loading the Topo maps would have deleted them. To get both you have to select both in MapSource and load them at the same time.

I thought about that, but I never had CNav or CStreets on my Garmin. I never bought the unlock codes. So I know those maps were never on my Garmin.

When I got my Garmin fresh out of the box, before I even knew I could add maps to it, I had some streets showing on the map. Not tiny ones, but streets nonetheless. Just the major ones, but more than just highways. I had a box in the Map setup, and I just can't recall what it said, something about US, 2001, army maybe even...but I had something.

Now it's gone.

When I got my Garmin fresh out of the box, before I even knew I could add maps to it, I had some streets showing on the map.

I agree with allory and Sputnik that the highways you're seeing are likely to be the basemap since there's no provision for deleting it from the Legend. It's possible that someone in the store wanted to demo one of the mapping products and downloaded a region from MetroGuide or Roads&Recreation to your Legend before you bought it.

OTOH, the basemap does have some major roads on it in addition to highways. I believe the basemap in my eMap is very similar to that in the Legend and for Riverside, Ca it shows Hwy. 91, a parallel railroad line, Magnolia Ave. a little to the northwest, and Van Buren Blvd. and Arlington Ave. intersecting near the airport.

Is it possible you need to zoom in, before those streets will show up?

- bones

Thanks, I tried this as well.

I zoomed WAY in and WAY out, with my Street Detail options all set to Max, and still, nothing but highways.

Thanks though, I appreciate everyone here trying to help me out.

Does anyone here have a Garmin eTrex Legend who hasn't put any maps on it? Can you please check for the name of the default map you're given under the map setup options?

Thanks again,

Mr. Wisearse.

I don't want to be a spoiler,but you all are half wrong! Wisearse is correct. There is a preloaded POI database in the Legend. When you load any Mapsource products you delete the original POI database. Garmin no longer hosts this file,but I have it. I too,had trouble with my unit and was told by Garmin reps to download the firmware and the POI database and reload. After I did that the unit worked fine. So if anyone wants this file shoot me an email through my geocaching profile. The major highways Wisearse is talking about IS the built in basemap,but the small roads and other searchable objects WAS the preloaded POI database.

Edited by DiskDevil
I don't want to be a spoiler,but you all are half wrong! Wisearse is correct. There is a preloaded POI database in the Legend. When you load any Mapsource products you delete the original POI database. Garmin no longer hosts this file,but I have it. I too,had trouble with my unit and was told by Garmin reps to download the firmware and the POI database and reload. After I did that the unit worked fine. So if anyone wants this file shoot me an email through my geocaching profile. The major highways Wisearse is talking about IS the built in basemap,but the small roads and other searchable objects WAS the preloaded POI database.

Yes!

Thanks a bunch, DiskDevil, email sent!

Thanks, all, for the assistance,

Mr. Wisearse.

Just checked and there's no difference in the San Bernardino area with or without the Americas Marine POI Database. Here's the difference between the basemap, the Topo US maps, and Metroguide v6 on my Legend:

maps.gif

These were taken with map detail set to most.

I haven't checked the Marine POI map yet, I'm putting it back on later (thanks for the links!), but the picture you showed on the left has a LOT more detail than what my Garmin has rt now (with Max detail turned up). So there was/is clearly s.thing wrong with my Garmin basemap.

Mr. Wisearse.

Very odd indeed. The only thing I can think to try is to backup all your information (waypoints, routes, and tracks if you want) with MapSource and do a master reset as shown here:

http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/secret.htm

Holding the click stick down and then powering up will enter the test screen while holding the "page" key down and the "click stick" down and then powering up will reset the unit. You will be prompted with an "are you sure?" message.

It seems to me that Sputnic57 is on the right track. To do this, ...

I looked on a 60cs which may have the same operating system.

On that unit you select the map display, press button that gives you the menu

Select "setup map"; pan left/right to select first icon on second line; fiddle with Map Detail.

It seems to me that Sputnic57 is on the right track. To do this, ...

I looked on a 60cs which may have the same operating system.

On that unit you select the map display, press button that gives you the menu

Select "setup map"; pan left/right to select first icon on second line; fiddle with Map Detail.

Thanks, but I've fiddled with all kinds of details, turned all up to Max, that's not it.

I had a map I could select when I bought my Garmin (factory sealed). I think it's the POI basemap mentioned above. It's now gone.

I'll try the factory reset found on that link (thanks!) in a bit and report back.

Thanks,

Mr. Wisearse.

I remember when I had my Legend, the basemap was exactly the same amount of detail as the WorldMap maps in my area. Try this test: make a waypoint at

N38 49.840 W77 11.747

If you see the intersection in the image below, then you've got the basemap. If you were able to see more street level details than that before loading Topo maps, but now cannot, then that detail was there because of map data that should NOT have been there in the first place. Either your factory-sealed unit was unsealed and someone put maps on it before you bought it, or someone at Garmin put the maps on there to test the unit, or maybe it's a factory refurbished unit that had the maps in it when it got to Garmin, and the tech forgot to put the POI data in its place. Either way, I doubt that Garmin is going to do anything to get map data back into your unit that should not have been there to begin with.

If you DON'T See the intersection in the image below, then I'd say there's something wrong with your unit and should be sent back toGarmin.

eed9ccea-2fa2-4617-88c4-56c45cc740d7.jpg

Edited by Neo_Geo
I don't see that at all on my Legend C....

All I see is 95.

The LegendC has a less detailed basemap than the regular b&w Legend. I don't have one available to check, so I don't know if the highways shown by NeoGeo are on the LegendC/VistaC basemap (which is also used by the 60c/cs models) or not.

I don't see that at all on my Legend C....

All I see is 95.

The LegendC has a less detailed basemap than the regular b&w Legend. I don't have one available to check, so I don't know if the highways shown by NeoGeo are on the LegendC/VistaC basemap (which is also used by the 60c/cs models) or not.

That intersection does not appear in the basemap of my 60C either. I think the 60s and the color eTrexes have the same basemap, so as Peter says, you would not see that intersection. But Mr. & Mrs. Wisearse should see it on their B&W Legend.