We Got A New Approver

ChinCache

We got a new approver in southeast PA recently and I feel that cache quality has gone done since the new approver took over. Okay I'm alittle mad they didn't contact me about my cache that they archived, but Iknow of a cache that was approved in an area were caching is no allowed and today I found a cache that was .70 mile off from the posted coordinates. these are just three instances that I know of I'm sure that there are more out there. I could see some of these as getting up to speed as the approver for this area but if you're not sure of something ask for help. and as for the line "could you do a better job ?", possibly who knows? that's my rant

P.S. BRING BACK MISSPLACED

:D just out of curiousityif the cach was .70 miles away from the cach coordinates how did u find it? :D

Beyond that, how is that the fault of the approver? You do know that the approver doesn't actually visit all the caches, right?

I don't see how poor caches are the fault of the approver, other than caches that are in places that is clear from looking at the maps is in a place that caching isn't allowed or against the guidelines.

The job of the volunteer cache reviewers is not to evaluate the quality of a submitted cache, but to ensure that the cache adheres to the guidelines of geocaching.com and any rules established by local agencies that the reviewer is aware of. Cache quality is subjective, and really not a criterion for listing on the website.

The job of the volunteer cache reviewers is not to evaluate the quality of a submitted cache, but to ensure that the cache adheres to the guidelines of geocaching.com and any rules established by local agencies that the reviewer is aware of.  Cache quality is subjective, and really not a criterion for listing on the website.

Yup, and it sure looks like the OP's physical cache converted to a virtual cache doesn't meet those guidelines and that's why it was archived.

It also looks like the cache has been missing since some time after August 2004, and the only reason the hider himself didnt archive the cache is because someone else left a coin where they thought the cache should be.

Edited by Mopar

The approver is not the person who provides the coordinates. All he can do is check and see that the the area conforms to the guidelines. For the example you used (.7 miles off) the owner switched the last 6 digits for N and W by accident. The area that the mistake put the cache conformed to the guidelines and it was listed. The owner realized his mistake and the cache has since been fixed.

We got a new approver in southeast PA recently and I feel that cache quality has gone done since the new approver took over. Okay I'm alittle mad they didn't contact me about my cache that they archived, but Iknow of a cache that was approved in an area were caching is no allowed and today I found a cache that was .70 mile off from the posted coordinates. these are just three instances that I know of I'm sure that there are more out there. I could see some of these as getting up to speed as the approver for this area but if you're not sure of something ask for help. and as for the line "could you do a better job ?", possibly who knows? that's my rant

P.S. BRING BACK MISSPLACED

MissPlaced is taking a well-deserved break. As the other Pennsylvania reviewer, I can state emphatically that we are very lucky to have the services of Joy Division, who is helping out in Eastern PA on a temporary basis. Joy Division does a fine and thorough job, and asks me questions regularly -- like just this morning, for instance -- when there is a question specific to Pennsylvania.

Show me a cache reviewer who has never made a mistake, and I will show you a cache reviewer who has not been on the job for very long. With 26 different regulatory rules to keep track of within my review territory, I will occasionally miss the fact that Smith Park is part of the XYZ park system, and a permit is required. But in the first instance, it's the owner's duty to know that.

It is exceptionally difficult sometimes to detect bad coordinates. If the cache page says it's in City Park, and the map shows it at the north end of City Park, I press "publish." When it turns out that the cache was at the south end of City Park a half mile away, I don't cry myself to sleep because I made a mistake. The hider made a mistake. Mistakes happen.

Cache quality is determined by cache hiders, not by cache reviewers, so I am puzzled by that statement. If I wanted to impose standards of quality, there would be a few more virgin lamp posts in Pennsylvania. That is not my job.