How Format Garmin X Cards?

bm196

Sorry 'bout my previous post, just having a laugh :unsure:

Magellans have an option to format the SD card on the reciever.

Cosidering the USB format, One would expect an explorist like file structure, and therefore the cards could be formatted using windows (??)

(Just a guess, and considering Garmins propensity for "Methods Garmin", you never know!)

But we'll know soon enough, when they start to ship out the units!!

It would be nice if it uses the standard windows formatting since many of us have card readers. We could transfer information to the cards more easily then sending to our GPS.

Owning three units with expandable memory, I'll that that depends on how they implement it.

Transflash cards are really tiny. They're fragile. Taking them in and out (remember, you'll have to take your batteries out) will likely be a pain. Card readers that do transflash are still quite rare, so you're going to have to find your SD sleeve. Remember that? That's that little postage stamp sizes shell that you probably can't find. :-) If they implement a sensible usb interface on the device itself, you're probably better off leaving it in the GPS.

Magellan got this right on Explorist. The memory card in the GPS shows up as a disk. There's pretty much no reason to take the card out. In a pinch, the GPS will even act as a card reader - I used it to get pictures from a camera while on vacation recently.

Are you certain it's a 1GB _micro sd_ card? Transflash (a.k.a. Micro SD) isn't the postage stamp size chip you're probably used to stuffing in your Palm or camera.

I've seen press releases for 1GB, but is anyone actually shipping them? The 512's are scarce enough...

FYI: I contacted Garmin about the max size of SD cards the unit will support. Here is the reply:

Thank You for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to help you.

The largest size card that will work inside the unit is a 512MB data card.

The largest card the Garmin currently offers is 256MB which can be found at

the following link:

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10683%2D02

Personally, I cannot understand why they do not support at least up to 2GB (FAT) filesystem. In this day in age, it seems very shortsighted. Well at least we now have removable media, size will come I guess.

Are you certain it's a 1GB _micro sd_ card?  Transflash (a.k.a. Micro SD) isn't the postage stamp size chip you're probably used to stuffing in your Palm or camera.

I've seen press releases for 1GB, but is anyone actually shipping them?  The 512's are scarce enough...

FYI: I contacted Garmin about the max size of SD cards the unit will support. Here is the reply:

Thank You for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to help you.

The largest size card that will work inside the unit is a 512MB data card.

The largest card the Garmin currently offers is 256MB which can be found at

the following link:

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10683%2D02

Personally, I cannot understand why they do not support at least up to 2GB (FAT) filesystem. In this day in age, it seems very shortsighted. Well at least we now have removable media, size will come I guess.

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything bigger than 512mb anyways in this flash size. I am sure as the bigger cards are released or become more common a firmware update can fix it.

It would be nice if it uses the standard windows formatting since many of us have card readers.  We could transfer information to the cards more easily then sending to our GPS.

How would you transfer map data using a card reader? The MapSource software only wants to talk to a Garmin gps. It seems to me that GSAK is the same way. (I'm at work and the toys are at home.)

How would you transfer map data using a card reader? The MapSource software only wants to talk to a Garmin gps.

I'd hope the answer is "exactly the same way that Mapsource has worked for over a year with a card reader" Remember that while removable memory is new to Garmin's handhelds, certain models of their dashtops have had removable memory for some time. 2610 and select members of C3x0 and Ix all have removable memory that can be written by Mapsource.

Ah, cool. I should try putting a cf card in my card reader when I run Mapsource. But maybe it won't give me that option since it's licensed to a handheld unit and it knows it doesn't have removable memory.

So I'd guess the answer to the original poster's question is probably the same as for the car units; they could download the pdf manual for one of them.

...Personally, I cannot understand why they do not support at least up to 2GB (FAT) filesystem. In this day in age, it seems very shortsighted. Well at least we now have removable media, size will come I guess.

It's a new memory format. The makers have to catch up to the other cards that have had more time to be established.

2gb won't be long. It would have been easier if Garmin had used the SD card to begin with. Then 512mb (which is just shy of what I think I need...) would be cheap and 1gb as well as 2gb easy to find.

How would you transfer map data using a card reader?

I'd hope the answer is "exactly the same way that Mapsource has worked for over a year with a card reader" Remember that while removable memory is new to Garmin's handhelds, certain models of their dashtops have had removable memory for some time.

Yes, that's certainly what I'd expect. And removable memory isn't even new to Garmin's handhelds as attested to by my 6 year old eMap that's still going strong.

But to date they haven't offered anywhere near the flexibility of data storage on the removable cards that Magellan does with the eXplorists or even with the older Meridians. I'd really like the ability to store files of waypoints, tracklogs, and POI data in addition to map regions, but I doubt that Garmin will offer that option initially with their new 'x' models. But they may offer such features in future upgrades if they get enough requests from customers. So let them know if you'd like to see those capabilities.

It would surprize me if Garmin included a utility within the GPS to do the formatting & file utilities. My Nuvi 350 uses an SD card and there is no option to format the SD card or do any type of file management. The MicroSD (or TransFlash) cards that you purchase come with an SD card adapter/sleeve. Since SD cards are becoming so popular & common with DigiCams and other devices, I suspect Garmin is assuming you have access to an SD card reader/writer to do the map transfers. Adding code to the GPS's firmware to do file management would be a bit much as far as tech support goes...I know of no Garmin unit that does file management within the GPS.

BTW, the largest currently available TransFlash card is 512MB from SanDisk. I bought one to play MP3s on my Motorola E815 mobile phone and in anticipation of the expandable memory Garmin handhelds.

I should try putting a cf card in my card reader when I run Mapsource.  But maybe it won't give me that option since it's licensed to a handheld unit and it knows it doesn't have removable memory.

Interesting; I was able to transfer from Mapsource to a cf card. It created a folder "garmin" on the card and in that was the file gmapsupp.img. The card had been formated with FAT; it is a dinky 32 meg card that I got with a camera.

Yes, you can normally transfer maps from Mapsource to any add-on USB memory. Since the card readers are often USB, even if they are built-in into the computer, they work. So does a memory stick, but that's of little use in any GPS, except for the normal purpose (i.e. move the data file elsewhere).

The newest Garmin units will accept either the unlock code integrated in the map file (old style), or a separate unlock file in the Garmin folder on the card.

Will the sd card I have for my Palm 505 fit in the 60cx? The Garmin picture looks a little different than my card.

No. It uses Micro SD.

Wel that kinda kills my plan to buy an x series Garmin. I was (am) looking upgrade from my SporTrak Pro to something with removable memory, but I don't want anything that isn't going to use an industry standard memory. My camera, PDA and MP3 player all use the standard SD card which allows me to use the same 1GB card for all of them. Less different things to keep track of and it makes it easy to move whatever kind of data I'm working with at any given moment.

Do any of the current GPS units use standard SD memory?

The Magellans use SD cards. But TransFlash (micro-SD) is also an industry standard. And I can't really see doing a whole lot of swapping cards back and forth in any of the GPS units. The card slots are inside the battery compartment so you have to open the compartment and pull the batteries just to get to the card. I'd expect most users to buy an appropriate size card for their needs and leave it in the unit.

Will the sd card I have for my Palm 505 fit in the 60cx? The Garmin picture looks a little different than my card.

No. It uses Micro SD.

Wel that kinda kills my plan to buy an x series Garmin. I was (am) looking upgrade from my SporTrak Pro to something with removable memory, but I don't want anything that isn't going to use an industry standard memory. My camera, PDA and MP3 player all use the standard SD card which allows me to use the same 1GB card for all of them. Less different things to keep track of and it makes it easy to move whatever kind of data I'm working with at any given moment.

With a microSD adaptor, you can take a 512mb microSD card, put it in the adaptor, and then stick in in your PDA, or what ever.

-

Geoff

With a microSD adaptor, you can take a 512mb microSD card, put it in the adaptor, and then stick in in your PDA, or what ever.

I'm really starting to like this MicroSD(or TransFlash)/SD format. It makes the memory useful in alot of different devices...with the adapter in my Nuvi, digicam or Palm or without the adapter in the new Garmin X units or my mobile phone. I'm glad Garmin chose this format rather than creating another Garmin proprietary format like their data cards.

But to date they haven't offered anywhere near the flexibility of data storage on the removable cards that Magellan does with the eXplorists or even with the older Meridians.  I'd really like the ability to store files of waypoints, tracklogs, and POI data in addition to map regions, but I doubt that Garmin will offer that option initially with their new 'x' models.  But they may offer such features in future upgrades if they get enough requests from customers.  So let them know if you'd like to see those capabilities.

What's the best way to "let them know"? I sent a query to tech support and am wondering if it will go anywhere past the person at Garmin who responded:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I would be happy to assist
you. I am not aware of any plans to expand the number of waypoints on the
GPSMAP 60CS. The Micro SD flash card on the new CX units will be only for
mapping detail, you will not be able to load waypoints onto it.

Thank you for your inquiry and for choosing Garmin. If you need any other
assistance with this, please feel free to call our 800-800-1020 line during
our business hours of 8:00 to 5:00 Central Time, Monday through Friday.

Edited by lumpynose
What's the best way to "let them know"?

Hard to say what type of communication will be most effective. I was speaking to one of the tech reps about another matter but brought up the issue of storing waypoints and tracklogs on the TransFlash cards and mentioned a few applications. He indicated he'd put it on some kind of future features list. I also sent similar comments to the sales support contact through their website.

I just figure that the more comments they get the more likely that they'll take them seriously and start working on the necessary firmware upgrade.