So Which County In The Uk Has The Least Caches?

maporter

Hi All,

I'm toying with the idea of placing a new cache, I'm not sure where too just yet, however I was wondering which county has the least number of caches within its boundaries?

Anyone have any idea's?

Regards

Mark

P.S. Hello from a Newbie !! :blink:

Now, do you mean least number of caches (Rutland has just one, I think?) or lowest dencity of caches per square mile?

Well the second excludes where you live SP :blink:

But if you are thinking of placing a cache remember that you need to be able to maintain it, this usually means that you are within 50 miles of the cache location. But it is possible for a cache to be maintained for you if you can get a friend / relative in the placing area to agree to this.

So don't just put a cache anywhere, after all a poor maintained cache just becomes rubbish / pollution

Moote

So don't just put a cache anywhere, after all a poor maintained cache just becomes rubbish / pollution

Moote

You raise a fair point Moote, I'll take that into consideration, in hindsight however I think I'll wait and gain a little more experience before I start placing any caches :blink:

I was interested to know all the same

Cheers

Mark

Well said Moote.

It's worth adding that some people have two homes, or often work a fair way from where they live, and this does extend where they can comfortably (I personally have a 25-mile radius 'limit') place and maintain a cache. If this is the case, or if you have a third party looking after the box for you, let the reviewers know with a 'Reviewer Note' (at the bottom of the page when you set a new cache up) so they know what the deal is and won't question you on why you're setting a cache so far from your home co-ords. Such things can be 'holiday caches' and soon become geo-litter.

Whilst thinking about placing I would encourage you to visit the Geocaching Association of Great Britain you will find a wealth of information on were and how to place caches. This site includes agreements with Major Landowners on cache placement.

We also have a pinned thread Gagb - News And Information, Latest news and info from the GAGB in here.

GAGB is free to join and is here for the help of all UK Geocachers

Edited by Moote

Can I nominate the Isle of Wight as the next least populated with caches? I think there's just 10 there, of which 5 make up a big multi cache.

If only I went there more often (or I thought I could persuade my brother to look after them for me), I could come up with some really nice cache locations.

Simon

I was wondering which county has the least number of caches within its boundaries?

What is a county? <_<

A serious question, really, since these political boundaries change so much and so often that it's all but impossible to keep track of them, and therefore to answer the question.

I think the best guide is this OS Map

A useful map, though it still depends on what one defines as a county. Many of those political areas aren't counties, they're unitary authorities.

The trouble is that since 1974, when the old counties were abolished, there's been nothing that can properly be called counties. They exist only in people's perception.

For example, my perception is that I live in Berkshire. But it doesn't exist. And if it did still exist in its original form it would be much larger than what is currently regarded as Berkshire, taking in most of what would now be regarded as southern Oxfordshire.

And the offices of South Bucks District Council are in Slough, which is now a unitary authority of its own, but until 2000 was in Berkshire. It was in 1974 that Slough was last in Bucks.

So unless you're dealing with the historic counties (e.g. for genealogy) then counties aren't worrying about in respect of geocaching.

I think the best guide is this OS Map

A useful map, though it still depends on what one defines as a county. Many of those political areas aren't counties, they're unitary authorities.

The trouble is that since 1974, when the old counties were abolished, there's been nothing that can properly be called counties. They exist only in people's perception.

For example, my perception is that I live in Berkshire. But it doesn't exist. And if it did still exist in its original form it would be much larger than what is currently regarded as Berkshire, taking in most of what would now be regarded as southern Oxfordshire.

And the offices of South Bucks District Council are in Slough, which is now a unitary authority of its own, but until 2000 was in Berkshire. It was in 1974 that Slough was last in Bucks.

So unless you're dealing with the historic counties (e.g. for genealogy) then counties aren't worrying about in respect of geocaching.

Under the the legislation which created the Unitary Authority system It maintained the county boundaries as of 1974, so authorities who have become unitary are still in the respective county area as of 1974.

The Metropolitan counties that were created in 1974 still exist as administerial areas so places Like Avon and Greater Manchester count as a county area, these had to be maintained for the ease of the county wide services such as Fire and Police.

There was (as always) 2 exception and they are The IOW, now treated as it's own entity and Rutland becoming a county again in it's own right, but in reality it still has very close ties to Leicestershire

This means that there are 48 Counties in England

It's true that, by and large, the original county boundaries continue to exist in some form. Counties, however, largely do not.

Of course, anyone is free to group caches into whatever political areas they like. Personally, I don't see the point. Who cares whether a cache is in "county" A or "county" B, and what does it matter?

It's true that, by and large, the original county boundaries continue to exist in some form. Counties, however, largely do not.

Of course, anyone is free to group caches into whatever political areas they like. Personally, I don't see the point. Who cares whether a cache is in "county" A or "county" B, and what does it matter?

I should have added here that, this information was given to me after researching for the counties challenge; it is the recognised County political topography as of 1998.

It is true what you say in an earlier post about boundaries moving in 1974, but for administerial reasons these are the boundaries.

As for where a cache lies this is true, a cache just on the boarder of one county is not going to stop you bagging it if it's just some yards away from the county you are caching in.

I should have added here that, this information was given to me after researching for the counties challenge; it is the recognised County political topography as of 1998.

Aside from the historical niceties, that's my point, really. As far as I can see, each hobby chooses its own definition of what it thinks a county is and where the boundaries are. Naturally the hobbies use existing local governemnt information to define this, which is why some hobbies will end up with the same "counties".

So, as a hobby, geocachers can use whatever they like. In practice, I suspect most cachers use G:UK's defintions for obvious reasons. But those counties are no more right, or wrong, than any other.

But would anyone like to answer the question about why it matters what "county" a cache is in?

So, as a hobby, geocachers can use whatever they like. In practice, I suspect most cachers use G:UK's defintions for obvious reasons. But those counties are no more right, or wrong, than any other.

But would anyone like to answer the question about why it matters what "county" a cache is in?

If you use statute as the guide then the OS map above is the correct layout of the country.

It does appear that people use all sort to govern where a place is, from the "I think it is in ......", or "It's post code say it is part of ......", or "G:UK say it is in .......". This is really why you require a statutory bench mark hence the map I posted; which is the de facto bench mark as the country stands at this point in time.

If we did not have this as a bench mark then how could I have claimed 27 counties in 24hrs, we needed it to be accurate so that we could wave the paper in case of a dispute.

As for why does it matter; good point, I can only see that it would matter if you are trying to set a record.

If you use statute as the guide then the OS map above is the correct layout of the country.

Yes, of course it is. But it does not show counties. It doesn't even mention the word. It shows administrative boundaries.

As I said, anyone can claim whatever they want to be a county. Geocaching is not yet mature enough to have defined what's required to claim records. That requires a governing body, and let's hope we never have one of those.

Yes, of course it is. But it does not show counties. It doesn't even mention the word. It shows administrative boundaries.

As I said, anyone can claim whatever they want to be a county. Geocaching is not yet mature enough to have defined what's required to claim records. That requires a governing body, and let's hope we never have one of those.

Incorrect, it shows the Unitary authority groups or Metropolitan authority groups, their topographic County or Metropolitan Districts, are surrounding the County Groups.

Take Peterborough as an example; it is still within the county area of Cambridgeshire it just has it own ability to manage it Schools, Social Services etc, but the People of Peterborough still have to make a precept payment on Council Tax to Cambridgeshire County Council.

Where I live in Greater Manchester we do not have precepts but have a commission of levy for services based within the Metropolitan area, that is the Metropolitan governance.

This is the Statute basis of the present county boundaries, there are no if or but on this it has to be for the provision of services.

Geocaching is not yet mature enough to have defined what's required to claim records. That requires a governing body, and let's hope we never have one of those.

Not so. The Uk records page had been maintained by Deego, and has worked well in the last couple of years. The records page is a welcome addition for those of us who want to achieve goals as well as all the other aspects of geocaching.

I don't think there has been many arguments about who holds what, people are generally gracious in defeat when their records are broken.

Just because you don't have one - don't belittle other people's personal triumphs. <_<

T

I don't think there has been many arguments about who holds what, people are generally gracious in defeat when their records are broken.

Well said, Rutson, fruity, and also Belplasca, congratulated Tony and I on our counties mission, and I certainly would if anyone else is daft enough (I think I'm entitled to say it that way) to do more!

Thanks Tigger for pointing that out

Moote

And Lo! It was written that when the word 'counties' was writ upon the forums, a mighty gloating and boasting would be seen throughout the land and the one known as Moote would be entitled to divert the topic to remind the people of his mighty achievements. Yea verily, even unto the tenth generation...

...or at least until somebody else bags the record! <_<:ph34r:B)

And Lo! It was written that when the word 'counties' was writ upon the forums, a mighty gloating and boasting would be seen throughout the land and the one known as Moote would be entitled to divert the topic to remind the people of his mighty achievements. Yea verily, even unto the tenth generation...

...or at least until somebody else bags the record! B)B)<_<

Actually Ali, I think I was hoodwinked into that B)

I started off On Topic and was then dragged off :ph34r:

Wow,

I'm amazed how a simple question could lead to all this, don't get me wrong, I'm finding it all very interesting - Being a newbie to geochaching and to some extent web forum sites, I'm amazed by the wealth of information being exchanged and the level of interest shown to my original question.

In hintsight, maybe I should have asked which postcode district has the least number of caches ? <_<

I suspect I'll have an answer to that question quite soon....

Cheers

Mark

Eccles area, Manchester - if you're wondering where M30 is

I rather suspect you've 'thrown the gauntlet down' buy drawing everyone's attention to this point..... :ph34r:

Oh there are several caches near by in Salford, Worsley and Swinton but I keep my Manor clean B)B)B)B)B)B)B):D<_<

Hmmm,

Worrying stuff Moote... I had a quick look at you're profile....... :ph34r:

As a result, I felt strangly compelled to check my Nerd Score:

Aghhh 71%

29% scored higher (more nerdy), and

71% scored lower (less nerdy).

What does this mean? Your nerdiness is:

Mid-Level Nerd. Wow, it takes a lot of hard nerdy practice to reach this level.

That's it, I'm off to take up power boat racing or something.......................................

Only joking, but I wonder how many others will now take the test B)B)<_<B)B)B)

Edited by maporter
Incorrect

You keep saying that, but nowhere on that map does it say what it means. It clearly doesn't show counties, because Bracknell Forest isn't a county. Cornwall, however, clearly is, so the map does show some counties.

So you feel free to believe what you want.

You just do not get it, it is a case that the administerial areas are the what classes it as a county.

Even when we had the old counties, Manchester, Salford, Bradford, Leeds etc where independent to a greater degree, just like the 'New' Unitary authorities are at present. But Manchester and Salford were in Lancashire and Leeds and Bradford in Yorkshire.

Then in 1974 the Metropolitan Districts were created and some Shire counties were carved up. This has not changed when Unitary authorities were created and Metro's dissolved, but the present county structure remained as post 1974 with the recent exceptions of Rutland and the IOW.

Now Bracknell Forest is in Berkshire, Warrington in Cheshire, Bolton in Grater Manchester, Sandwell in the West Midlands and on and on and on.

Now no amount of telling me that I have not explained does no good as I knew these facts before the thread was started and I also researched them for a specific purpose, If you do some of your own work you will find out the topography of the counties is as I have described.

I could easily say that you have not yet given a rational argument for you reasoning but that would be petty and ill conceived.

I can only ascertain that you have some issue with me, and if that is the case why not just say it and be done with this childish none productive moan that you have.

Moote

I am 43% nerd, it says. Ref! Ref! Surly some mistake!

OT, counties are clearly a bit of a grey area, but unless you're a cartographer, it's probably not worth arguing over their boundaries. Perhaps someone could calculate which cache has the furthest 'page horizon', by which I mean how far away is the 20th most distant cache when you click on 'All Nearby Caches'. Around here it's a couple of miles <_<

Now Bracknell Forest is in Berkshire

It is not, because Berkshire no longer exists. In any capacity, neither a county nor any administrative unit. It exists only in people's memories and affinity.

The same thing applies to many other former counties. Which is why people use what they like. And there is nothing at all wrong with that.

Here is an official list of the UK counties with maps;  English Counties and Maps

You really think that a county list which includes Avon can be believed? <_<

Why can you not just accept that there is, largely, no longer any such thing as a county? Instead, just use whatever administrative unit meets the purpose. G:UK, out of date though it is in this respect, is perfectly adequate for geocaching.

If you just read here you might just see, but then I guess that you have a bee in your bonnet about something.

Berkshire County Area

Look at your Council Tax bill and see who you pay your precept for Fire Police and some other services, that is the controlling county Berkshire. You ask for proof and then ignore, what is the point in replying.