Camoflaging A Cache And Seasonal Changes?

ChicagoCanineCrew

Hello!

I'm thinking of placing my first cache (probably in a forest preserve type area) but I was a little unsure about camo... I was thinking of either using leaves or painting/taping camo onto a container. I started thinking about how different things look in the summer and the winter, and I wondered how to camoflage a cache in a way that it won't stand out for half the year... If I put green leaves on it, it would look very out of place in the fall and winter, for example.

Any tips? I have a bunch of fake autumn leaves that I was thinking of using but I wonder if they would show up too much in the summer.

Edited by ChicagoCanineCrew

earth tones go with everything. I have used spray paint with various browns & blacks to break up the shape and give it some shadows. Tape is fine but it can cause problems. Look for natural hiding spots - fallen tree, stump, whatever it sround in the general area will work fine. Scout the area first then take some of the ground litter with you to color/style match later.

Flat black. I've found that if you're placing into a dark area, that's what matches. You can''t see color where it's dark.

This is especially true if you like to keep your caches up off of the ground. Froma distance they are hard to see. If you bungy them to a tree the flat black will not stick out even in the white of winter. You can use paint or black duct tape which is cheaper than camo.

I have a bunch of fake autumn leaves that I was thinking of using but I wonder if they would show up too much in the summer.

If you do go with the autumn leaves idea, use just the brown ones. Anything red or orange will look out of place in other seasons, but there's a layer of dead dull-brown leaves on the ground all year long in forests around here (New England).

The best one I have seen was a fake hollow stump. The person took a tree stump and holloed it out from the bottom, big enough to fit an ammo can then carried it out to the woods and placed the stump. It looked like any other stump in the woods and blended right into the ground. It would also blend any time of the year.

Now to painting. Always start with a base color, Black is the best. Then begin with layering browns, greens and even black again. The key is to layer the colors over each other. This will give them depth and help it blend better. You can add the fake leaves but be careful not to overdo it. I believe in using the surrounding foliage for camo. I find using local stuff it will blend better, but if you can get it "into" something that always works better.

I have a cache hidden in thecleft of a large slab of rock on a ridgetop. All of the rock in that area is gray so I painted my container flat gray to match the rocks. Many of the caches that I have found have been painted drab olive or flat black and then covered with native cover material such as leaves and sticks.