Micros?

snowfoxrox

I know there are a lot of micro haters out there, and that this has been discussed before kinda... Is a micro considered "acceptable" if the container is interesting. not just an altoids tin, or 35mm film canister wrapped in cammo tape (not that there is anything wrong with that) but say disguised as an item that looks very natural or obviously took time and effort to create.

Just curious..... ;)

~SFR~

I know there are a lot of micro haters out there, and that this has been discussed before kinda... Is a micro considered "acceptable" if the container is interesting. not just an altoids tin, or 35mm film canister wrapped in cammo tape (not that there is anything wrong with that) but say disguised as an item that looks very natural or obviously took time and effort to create.

Just curious..... ;)

~SFR~

Its not the container or the size, its the location. Micros have a bad name with some of us because they tend to spring up in uninteresting or unappealing locations.

Put a interesting container next to a garbage dump, its still next to a garbage dump.

Edited by briansnat

I have a micro that's an altoids tin magneted to a typical hiding place (e.g., bottom of a payphone, park bench, etc.). The only thing is, it's hidden on the observation deck for the most scenic tourist overlook in my city. The view is breathtaking, and the best way to access the cache is to ride a 100 year old inclined tram car. It's on the all-time favorites lists of several finders with 1000+ finds.

I researched this placement for several hours spread out over several trips, and concluded that my hiding method and container were the best for the location, given the limited hiding spots in a high-traffic area. I was right; the cache has survived quite nicely since it was hidden 2.5 years ago.

So by saying things like "any redeeming qualities," and "just an altoids tin," I think you are missing an awful lot of the secret to hiding a good cache.

I love every micro .... except those that are in rock piles or worse yet .... in the middle of the woods. Urban micros are well appreciated.

Put a interesting container next to a garbage dump, its still next to a garbage dump.

I wholeheartedly agree! Take me to a nice interesting location. :rolleyes: ImpalaBob

Just to present another view point about "when they take away a really good hiding area for a larger cache". I'd just as soon hunt a micro in the woods as a larger cache. Yes, Virginia, there really are micro lovers.

Oddly, I've lately taken to hiding ammo cans mostly - but this is because over time they have the least maintenance issues. As a cache seeker, I like a good location! firstly and lastly and mostly - but you can hide a film can as far as I'm concerned.

I think a well-hidden micro in an interesting location is definitely worth it! The additional "needle in a haystack" challenge of finding such a micro cache container is appealing to me.

That said, I think it is a shame to use an only barely-challengingly hidden micro in a remote area where a larger cache container could easily be there instead. My understanding from the evolution of geocaching is that micro caches were really invented by folks who wanted to be able to hide caches in more urban locations where a larger container just wouldn't work.

I don't mind micros. I have a number of them out. One is in a hide I constructed myself so it's a bit different than most. Folks seem to like it. The others are part of a series where you need to collect numbers written on the outside of the container and eventually you get what you need to figure out the coordinates of the final cache (.50 cal ammo can in the hills) and the combination to the lock that keeps the can closed.

I like placing ammo cans. I like finding ammo cans. I don't mind micros though. I've also placed a Decon (military decontamination kit) container cache and will place more of those in the future. They are a Small rather than a Micro but I like the containers a lot and hopefully I can do some urban caches that don't have to be micro. They also work well in non-urban environments.

Bottom line: I love caching. I'll look for darn near any type of container. :rolleyes:

I like the larger caches myself, but here in town it is awful hard to find good places to hide them. I whole heartedly agree about not putting a micro where a decent sized cache could go. In my case the hide may not be *the* most interesting as there are all ready a lot of caches in my town. So, I thought that if I made my containers interesting, then that might make up for the lack of a steller hiding place. I also agree that a cool micro container beside a dump is not the ideal. Dont think I would want to go to a hide like that so, wouldnt do it myself.

I did not mean to blanket all altoid tins or film canisters. The one mentioned above is in a very neat area, where a larger or different kind of container may not work. In that case the Tin is more than made up for by location.

What I meant was, if I found an *ok* spot, something mildly interesting that a small cache would not work at, if I placed an interesting micro container would that help balance it out? (Dont wanna say too much and give away potential hiding spots :rolleyes: )

~SFR~

The view is breathtaking, and the best way to access the cache is to ride a 100 year old inclined tram car.  It's on the all-time favorites lists of several finders with 1000+ finds.

Which of yours is this cache? Sounds like one I'd love to do, and we're heading that way soon!

Thanks!

Thanks for your interest in my cache. It's The Elves are Inclined to be Evil. The cache is disabled right now due to reported container damage, and because people are still playing the Coin Quest game. But if you send me a PM or e-mail letting me know the date of your trip, I will not only make sure that the cache is activated again, I will also be happy to help you identify other really *good* caches in our area, micro or otherwise, that you might enjoy finding based on your preferences.

Here is the view from the cache site atop Mount Washington, right across the river from downtown Pittsburgh. Not too shabby for a crummy altoids micro, if I do say so myself.

2fca067d-1942-446f-99da-4aa29c93787c.jpg

Edited by The Leprechauns
But if you send me a PM or e-mail letting me know the date of your trip, I will not only make sure that the cache is activated again, I will also be happy to help you identify other really *good* caches in our area, micro or otherwise, that you might enjoy finding based on your preferences.

We still don't know yet, but I'll let you know! Thanks for the info!

A&F5

Just curious..... :D

~SFR~

I recently placed a micro where I could have put an ammo can nearby, but that wouldn't have forced people to look at this relic of a bygone era as thoroughly.

I did feel a bit guilty about that, since it is a long walk to that cache, so I put out an ammo can about .16 away. . . :rolleyes: On a "good" day, you can see a mountain lion near that cache . . . :D

I'm not very creative, so most of the containers I put out are "normal," but I think the locations are worthy of visiting. Two of my most creative containers have been muggled . . . and I couldn't reproduce them, so they are boring "normal" containers now . . . :)

Thanks!  Not too shabby for a crummy altoids micro, if I do say so myself.

Hey now, I never said that altoid tins are crummy! and I thought I had made a point that if the site is worthy then the container doesnt matter. My question was: If the site is *NOT* that spectacular/ interesting, then would a nicely crafted container help make up for that. Thats all. I do not want people to think I am passing any kind of judgment or opinion on any particular type of cache or container. And I apologize to anyone who misunderstood that.

~SFR~

Thanks for clarifying. No problems here, it's the Getting Started forum where everyone tries to be nicer.

I think the sentiment is that it's a heckuva lot easier to get people to like your micro if it takes them to a nice spot. While possible to wow someone with a cool container in a ho-hum spot (parking lot) or bad spot (next to a dump), it's more of an uphill battle. But far from impossible. One of my Top 5% list entries involves a phone booth. I can't tell you how. :D

Thanks!  Not too shabby for a crummy altoids micro, if I do say so myself.

Hey now, I never said that altoid tins are crummy! and I thought I had made a point that if the site is worthy then the container doesnt matter. My question was: If the site is *NOT* that spectacular/ interesting, then would a nicely crafted container help make up for that. Thats all. I do not want people to think I am passing any kind of judgment or opinion on any particular type of cache or container. And I apologize to anyone who misunderstood that.

~SFR~

I guess that would depend on where the nicely-crafted container was placed. For me, I won't be impressed with the container, unless the site also has some redeeming qualities, or is at least "neutral." I really prefer being taken someplace unique, even if it is just a tiny neighborhood "pocket park" or a suburban canyon I never would have found otherwise. :P

The cache doesn't have to be in a spectacular / interesting place . . . I have some in less-than-spectacular places . . . ^_^

If a cacher is capable of creating a nice container, I think they can also find a nice place to put it . . . :D

An observation for what it's worth: I find as I drive from urban to suburban to rural that, in general, the size of the cache grows. I'll admit that I am new at this and am usually able to find larger caches in woods, probably because of their size and the fact that I lived in the mountains a good bit so I notice irregularities that might hide a cache. I now live in an urban area, and I enjoy the micros that are more numerous in this area and have learned of many parks and out of the way places that I would not have known otherwise. And as for the quick micros that are in true urban areas, near stores, parking lots... I enjoy the adventure of finding them, often hidden quite cleverly, when my time is limited and I need a geofix and some fresh air. The caches are clearly labeled on the website and people can choose what they want to search for, so enjoy your brand of cache in the areas you want to play, Best of Luck, BK

An observation for what it's worth: I find as I drive from urban to suburban to rural that, in general, the size of the cache grows. I'll admit that I am new at this and am usually able to find larger caches in woods, probably because of their size and the fact that I lived in the mountains a good bit so I notice irregularities that might hide a cache. I now live in an urban area, and I enjoy the micros that are more numerous in this area and have learned of many parks and out of the way places that I would not have known otherwise. And as for the quick micros that are in true urban areas, near stores, parking lots... I enjoy the adventure of finding them, often hidden quite cleverly, when my time is limited and I need a geofix and some fresh air. The caches are clearly labeled on the website and people can choose what they want to search for, so enjoy your brand of cache in the areas you want to play, Best of Luck, BK

Thank you. I was beggining to think I had utterly failed in describing my question. I plan on placing several regular caches a rural locations later. I like being able to make my grocery shopping trip a little more *interesting* by searching for a cache either on the way to or fro. I dont have the time or capability to drive to the foothills everytime I need a "fix" and my area is so saturated that most of the really neat places are taken. I really wanted to place a few though and had a heck of a time finding worthy places. So, I hid them as best I could in areas significant to me. I did take several days to make the containers and put some thought into them, so hopefully that makes up for the lack of "wow" at the site.

And as you stated, it is listed clearly on the listing page exactly what it is, so people can make up their own minds.

~SFR~

Micros as a rule are ok. I've got a few hidden myself and I'm placing 3 new micros along with 3 full size caches this weekend. Geocaching is open to many different ideas and methods of doing things. I mainly place caches to take cachers somewhere to see something which I enjoyed. Most of my hides are easy finds but hopefully they are still out of sight to muggles.

Right now there is a trend in this area for mico hides deep in the woods requiring long hikes. And once you arrive at the sites they are very well hidden. On one hand these hikes do take you to some nice places with great vistas. Also, there is usually no problem with muggles so you can search as much as you like without feeling watched. On the other hand I hate to hike a few hours and having to walk away from any cache - especially knowing my next trek may not bring results any different. In fact, I may lose all resolve to return again (unless a new nearby cache is placed).

Just discovered this forum, as I recently just placed a series of micros, that are both of traditionally and non-traditionally origin! I am I firm supporter of placing urban style micros in not so urban places, but within an urban style park. You should be happy to know that once you find all six caches it takes you to a nice bushwacking of at least a mile roundtrip to an ammo box inside an urban park! So all micros are not useless, thank you very much! By the way, to open the first and last cache you have to have a three digit # to access the caches. I have yet to find anybody who uses this type of container in the St. Louis area!

I have a few micros out and in every case it was because they were in locations that could not hold a larger container. I think that's the criteria but I'm also thinking of one in the woods because of a unique hiding spot that itself is interesting.

I also think that they should be in interesting spots and under lampposts in parking lots doesn't do it for me.

JDandDD