Please Help With Ram Mount

BelleauWood

Hi all....I was wondering if you can give me your opinions on selecting a Ram Mount for my Garmin 60C. I'm pretty much decided on the windsheild mount.

I'm looking at these two models:

http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram/rapb166ga12.htm

http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram/ramb166ga12.htm

First off, is everything included with these models that I will need to install in my car?

Second, what would you recommend the plastic or aluminum?

And lastly, your experience with them if you own one.

Thanks for your input...I just want to make sure before I buy when they are in stock again.

Unless you need an absolutely secure holder such as for a motorcycle, I wouldn't recommend it. I used the RAM windshield mount with my Garmin Vista. The RAM cradle kept damaging the rubber protector around the unit requiring me to returnit to Garmin for repair. The wings of the Ram mount broke off from the contant bending while inserting the Vista and removing it. It also was veru hard to do it and became a pain. I finally stopped using the cradle although I still use the rubber holder on the glass with a different cradle I adapted. I had the same problem with the RAM cradle for my Pocket PC. Again I stopped using it.

I had the Garmin mount for a long time, but the suction cup finally broke off. I got a RAM mount for my eTrex Vista C for Christmas. It's built really solid, but it is quite a bit bigger. It's not so big that it interferes with my view. The suction cup alone is double the size of the Garmin. I can see how you could damage the rubber on the side of the eTrex, but from the picture of the one for the 60c, it doesn't look like you would have that problem.

Even on the aluminum one, only the arm and balls are aluminum. The suction cup piece is plastic and the cradle is plastic. If the plastic arm is the same quality as the other plastic parts than I don't think it would matter which one you get.

The Garmin on was good, but it would pop off if it got hotter than when I stuck it to the window. It has a locking mechanism, but it's not that strong. The way the RAM mount suction cup works it picked up the glass top to my coffee table. It's powerful.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either one. I've only had the RAM mount for a little while, but I think it will last longer. If something breaks on the ram you can buy just that part, but if the Garmin breaks you need to buy a whole new one and you can buy other parts for the RAM to mount cameras and other devices.

I hope this helped.

Like the previous poster said, I think you can't go wrong with either one. I have the aluminum one, but I don't know why. It should come with everything you need, but you will have to put it together. There will be 2 diamond shaped plates with 1" balls on them. These you screw into the locking suction cup and bolt onto the cradle. Then you mount the cup to the windshield, and clamp the assembly together with the arm. I love mine because the GPS is held very solid. there is no jiggle or shake at all, and I can read the display while driving down the road.

Another vote for the RAM aluminum. I use it on my 60C. There is no contact with the case that would cause a problem like that reported for the Vista. I use it in my Jeep on nice flat highways and in some pretty rugged off-raod situations and it is absolutely rock steady. It comes complete; there's nothing else to buy.

I got the aluminum based upon my gut feel that it would be more durable than the plastic, but I have no basis for that. I think you'll be pleased with it.

I have the ram mount for the Meriplat with the suction base that you link to. It is a great unit. I have plastic. The wing issue, just spread the base, should be no problem. I also did a mod on the Magellan base, and attached it to the flex arm of the RAM mount, works great also. You will be satisfied with it...this base does not let go like the others!

See these:

RAM mount

Edited by Dirtnapper