I'm Considering A 5* Cache...

I am considering a 5* cache, but I want it to be findable. My idea is to use my climbing tree stand to climb up 20-30 feet in a hardwood and tie an ammobox to a branch. This tree will be impossible to climb w/o equipment, as it has no branches until you get to the top.

Can y'all think of other ways, besided hauling a ladder into the woods that people might be able to retrieve it? I'm unfamiliar with climbing gear, other than tree stands used by us hunters.

Do you think it's a decent idea, or too tough?

Thoughts, opinions, flames, insults, and praise are welcome.

People will think of ways to retrieve the cache of which you never thought.

I recently hid a cache in a high place, and there have been three or four different methods of retrieving it so far. One of the methods I had considered beforehand but dismissed as impossible.

Be sure that the tree can take the traffic of a number of people doing various things to climb to the top.

I like the idea! Just be aware that a 5-star terrain cache requires exceptional maintenance. You don't want anyone hurt or any damage done.

Jamie

Maybe a rope/pully system ...

Saw another post today that mentioned this type of a cache that really had no way to get to it and a poor description on it's page. Gotta be careful that it wouldn't fall on someone, and be REAL clear in your description.

I've had the pleasure to find some of the caches you've already placed and would like to find this one when it's ready, or test it for you before you post it to the public.

I like the idea! Just be aware that a 5-star terrain cache requires exceptional maintenance. You don't want anyone hurt or any damage done.

Jamie:

Can you elaborate on that thought? What about a 5* in particular requires extra maintainance? I'm sure I'll have some people email for help, and I might even be pursuaded out with them to help... but I'd think the low traffic cache wouldn't require that much maintainence in and of itself...

Maybe a rope/pully system ...

Saw another post today that mentioned this type of a cache that really had no way to get to it and a poor description on it's page. Gotta be careful that it wouldn't fall on someone, and be REAL clear in your description.

I think if there were a rope/pulley system (which I had thought about) then it wouldn't require any special equipment. I think a rope/pulley where I'm thinking of putting this would be a 3/3 or 3/4 at best.

I have a private training cache up, it is not posted on any websites because, beside either someone who thinks like I do or is the worlds best rock climber, there is no way to get to it.

For anyone who wants to know... it is a 5 12C

I am only a 5 4-7 climber and I did it without an injury but it is very very hard. Once I make it safer it might get posted here. And it could never be muggled (I had a climing friend try and get to it who is a good climber). W/O a proper harness, ropes, crashpad, and GPS you will kill yourself getting ot it.

Go for the tree cache, I bet i cna think of how to get ot it.

:D I live near the alabama swamps in western New York.

As soon as the weatehr thaws I am going to place a Cache that can only be retrieved via canoe or kayak. (Or swimming if you are so inclined)

Can' wait till spring.

The wife and i are planning on giving Krispy Kreme certificaqte as FTF prize.

Any thoughts on this?

:D

Jamie:

Can you elaborate on that thought? What about a 5* in particular requires extra maintainance? I'm sure I'll have some people email for help, and I might even be pursuaded out with them to help... but I'd think the low traffic cache wouldn't require that much maintainence in and of itself...

I too am wondering about the comment that Terrain 5 caches are necessarily high maintenance. We have a number of terrain 4.5 and 5 caches, in both urban areas (i.e., our Psycho Urban Cache series) and in rural backcountry areas (including some caches in our Psycho Backcountry Cache series) and our experience has been that they are zero maintenance so far, wih one small exception. The small exception is that an out-of-state team, at the site of one of our Terrain 5 caches -- which is a magnetic keyholder about 32 feet up a lamppost in an urban area -- accidentally knocked the container to the sidewalk and shattered it. They promptly effected a temporary repair with tape, and then the next team did the same thing, again accidentally knocking it to the sidedwalk and breaking it again, and they too effected a temporary repair with tape. I will need to replace the container in the next couple of months, but it is still in service, and this will be the only service ever needed on our of our Terrain 4.5+ caches. I personally feel that due to the somewhat lower number of finders (due to the terrain challenge and difficulty), coupled with the higher skill/experience level of the finders, Terrain 4.5+ caches tend to have low maintenance requirements.

As for the tree hide proposed by the original poster -- I would say: "Go for it!" Among some climbing options, there is some specialized gear available for climbing "bare" trees, including waist harnesses and tree slings, and tree wrap clamps, largely available from suppliers for arborists and tree maintenance folks, some available from suppliers for utility pole line workers as well. And, people will amaze you with the creative ways they come up with for retrieval.

I am considering a 5* cache, but I want it to be findable. My idea is to use my climbing tree stand to climb up 20-30 feet in a hardwood and tie an ammobox to a branch. This tree will be impossible to climb w/o equipment, as it has no branches until you get to the top.

Can y'all think of other ways, besided hauling a ladder into the woods that people might be able to retrieve it? I'm unfamiliar with climbing gear, other than tree stands used by us hunters.

Do you think it's a decent idea, or too tough?

Thoughts, opinions, flames, insults, and praise are welcome.

Thats why caching with a gun makes sense! :D

You can shoot caches out of high trees. B)

Either shoot the lashings off or shoot till you shoot the tree in half (more fun than using a chainsaw and the noise will usually keep other cachers away til you can log it).

B):D

My comment that the 5-star caches require exceptional maintenance comes from two thoughts.

First, in order to perform maintenance, you must generally also re-conquer the 5-star terrain. When I had to check on my 5-star cache, I had to find a partner and go out to the location with my gear.

Also, in some cases (like a tree), care must be taken to be sure that 5-star terrain doesn't become unsafe, or at least change from when you placed that cache. Planning on a pulley system? I'd be dang sure to check the integrity of the equipment often. (Personally, I'd avoid installing your own "special equipment" for several reasons.)

As mentioned by Vinny and Sue, the higher-rated caches get much less traffic, and that traffic is generally more experienced and aware of caching guidelines/etiquette. The exceptional maintenance I'm talking about doesn't mean you have to restock the cache all the time, or replace the logbook every week, it means that if you're asking someone to do something exceptional to retrieve your cache, you should make sure that those conditions remain as you intended.

By exceptional, I don't mean more often. I mean attention to the details which make it rated what it is.

Jamie

Other than using a ladder or a self climbing hunting platform, the only other way I can think of to get to a cache up that high would be tree climbing spurs and belt used by loggers.

These are similar to lineman phone pole climbing equipment, except that the spurs are longer to get through the bark to get a better grip. They would damage the tree some though.

The only question I have is aren't there people out there that would cut the tree down just to get at the cache? Especially something that can be seen from the ground by those that don't participate in geocaching. Also, there are those that are willing to go beyond their skill level to risk their safety to try retrieving the cache. I know each person takes their own risk, but I would not want to see anyone seriously injured. However, these are just my thoughts.

The only question I have is aren't there people out there that would cut the tree down just to get at the cache? Especially something that can be seen from the ground by those that don't participate in geocaching. Also, there are those that are willing to go beyond their skill level to risk their safety to try retrieving the cache. I know each person takes their own risk, but I would not want to see anyone seriously injured. However, these are just my thoughts.

Couldn't the same be said for any super tough 5*? I'm sure people are worried about non-rock climbers being overcome with stupid and attempting a cache.

I don't think your concern is specific to my cache.

You have to be very careful in applying the correct rating to your caches. I ran across one near me that was not. Fortunately, I had not returned to the site before this message showed up --

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...42-d7968fd5e2fe

The cache is now unavailable due to hurricane Katrina, but I often wonder whether or not the cache is still there ...

I went to a cache here on Long Island that was in a busy park and about 20 feet up in a tree. It was not an easy tree to climb and there was no way I was going to compromise the cache in front of tons of muggles on a warm Spring day. I went back again in the late Fall in the middle of the week. Hardly any muggles around this time but I still could not get up the tree. I found a long broken tree branch and a 6 foot metal fence post and shoved the branh into the end of the pole. After several attempts I was able to unhook the cache from its nail high up in the tree. After logging in, getting it back to the exact spot was impossible but I did manage to get it attached a couple feet away which was good enough.....Sometimes ya just have to improvise!

Thinking of a 5* requiring a boat. If you don't have one, I will supply coords for mine, an old jon boat (stored on my property). You still have to get the boat to the lake, about a 1/2 mile. My "No Trespassing" signs will be adorned w/ GC.com stickers to let people know they are allowed. What do you think?

That sounds awesome.

Speaking of 5-star Terrain caches, I cannot resist a chance to mention our recently published Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations (GCTA5E). As the cache listing page relates, the final stage is located in the containment building of an abandoned nuclear reactor; the building is radioactive and contaminated with toxic chemical waste and with friable asbestos. Of course, there are plenty of other REALLY sick caches out there as well; consider "Quantum Leap" (in Texas) or "Holy Wastewater (She It?)" in North Carolina. And, my favorite so far is the "Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents" (GCG822), although it would likely cost a fortune to go after it.