Lost Garmin 60cs

Ca_Ghost

Hello all,

New to the forum here and well hell new to geocaching and all I can say is WOW!!!!! What a great way to spend the day with family and friends!

-Back to topic-

While shopping for a GPS unit to get started with I came across this on ebay and thought "What would the odds be that this could have been a geocacher's?"

Ebay Garmin 60CS

He found it in a rental car and is now selling it on Ebay. If anyone lost their 60CS please check out this ebayer. Maybe if luck would have it there could be a happy ending for someone out there!

- Ghost

Guess the owner figured it was gone for good when he realized he left it somewhere. If only he'd put his name, address and phone number on the owner's information screen.

Maybe he did do that and the eBay seller kind of overlooked that information...? Seems like if the seller REALLY wanted it to get back to its rightful owner, he probably could've TRIED HARDER... I guess the guy doesn't work for Avis! ;)

It'd be my guess that it belongs to the person who rented the car just before the guy found it. It wouldn't be THAT hard to track down the owner. :)

Edited by Neo_Geo
Good odds it is, sounds like. Shame on Ebay. Guess it would be hard to prevent that, huh? Maybe model & S/N's reported to law enforcement as stolen should go to Ebay? Just a thought.... in a perfect world......

Doesn't really work that way.. If the unit was in fact stolen and the victim of the theft had the serial number and then reported it to the police then the police could enter the unit with serial into the stolen property database. Once that is done then the unit could be retrieved as stolen property.

Until that happens then you have to take it at face value.

But then I was just curious in the first place.. :rolleyes:

Doesn't really work that way...

...which the thieves understand and which Ebay makes easy to take advantage of. Because Ebay takes a profit from every illegal transaction why would they discourage fencing? They are not held responsible. The ironic thing is that if we came across a big bargain like this on the street we would probably not even consider it but the internet somehow makes it Ok. :antenna:

What are the odds it's stolen? :antenna:

Checking the seller's feedback, he's only sold 5 items since March of 2002. The last item he sold was in May of 2004. Not a very active fence or what I would call a career criminal. This is not to say that it's not stolen - it could be. There's always that chance on eBay.

What I found odd about this is the seller states it has no cable or manual - yet somehow he/she managed to update the SW on the GPS from version 3 to version 4.

That isn't that hard. The GPSMAP 60C has a standard USB port and any USB cable will work with it. (I use the cable that came with my camera to update mine).

Given the hassle to activate software on the GPSMAP 60C, I suspect that whoever wins this auction may have an interesting time getting software for it. If the GPS was registered, Garmin certainly knows who it belongs to or can find out.

joe

Edited by Car54