Very New And Can't Find A Thing! :(

mammarazzi

I just found out about geocaching yesterday, logged on to this website, and got hooked immediately! I found a couple urban caches that are very close to me so I gave it a shot. I don't have a GPS (yet), but based upon online maps and clues I was able to get with in the parking lots of where these caches are. Am I on my own from there? Or, could a gps get me closer? I went after two urban caches, both in fast food restaurant parking lots, but didn't find either. I felt like an idiot looking around, and trying to look obvious or weird. Maybe I should start with a more wooded location so I don’t have to worry about muggles - but then it seems I would defiantly need a gps if I am off ‘the beaten path’. The people that found these two chaches before me said that they were easy finds and quick…I guess I just don’t have the hang of it yet, any advice?

I had the same problem... someone told me about geocaching, and I was so eager to try it that I ran out and grabbed a couple before I had a GPSr to work with. It's the first telltale sign of the addiction.

Definitely get a GPS, or borrow one if you can. You might have a look and see if any active cachers live near you and would take you along on a hunt. It's a lot easier to get the hang of that way.

Welcome and have fun,

Leanne

It also takes awhile to find your "caching hat" and learn to pick out the things that don't belong. Like a pile of neatly stacked sticks or rocks, or the camo'ed magnetic hide a key.

For a cheaper GPSr, try the garage sale here in the forums, or try ebay. Refurbs are usually just as good as a new unit for much less $$, just no warranty.

I got my Geko 101 from Radio Shack on sale for $79 and got a 1-year warranty with it through Radio Shack. I kind of wish I had held out for a 201 so I could have gotten computer hookup stuff with it, but there was this White Jeep TB near here and hubby had the GPS and........

…I guess I just don’t have the hang of it yet, any advice?

It's harder than it sounds, even with a GPSr. Certainly, there are people -- including newbies -- who find caches without the dingus, but there's no shame in not being one of them. I made my first cache an ordeal and I had all the advantages.

Still, this is a good thing. When you finally find one you're, like, "yes, I do, in fact, RULE!"

I felt like an idiot looking around, and trying to look obvious or weird.

I think that this is going to be a part of the "game". My brother actually got me interested in the sport when I went with him this summer. Your best bet (from what I've seen) is to look for 'down-times' to do the urban caches. Early Sunday mornings seem to be best from my observation in most cities that I've been to. I'm pretty sure that I've located my first cache without my GPS just from the information that I've found HERE. I am waiting until later today to go with my son to verify since it won't look so obvious then (protective coloration, another tactic!)

Doc

I just found out about geocaching yesterday, logged on to this website, and got hooked immediately! I found a couple urban caches that are very close to me so I gave it a shot. I don't have a GPS (yet), but based upon online maps and clues I was able to get with in the parking lots of where these caches are.  Am I on my own from there? Or, could a gps get me closer?  I went after two urban caches, both in fast food restaurant parking lots, but didn't find either.  I felt like an idiot looking around, and trying to look obvious or weird.  Maybe I should start with a more wooded location so I don’t have to worry about muggles - but then it seems I would defiantly need a gps if I am off ‘the beaten path’.  The people that found these two chaches before me said that they were easy finds and quick…I guess I just don’t have the hang of it yet, any advice?

We've been caching for about a year and a half now and we're still learnig new stuff all the time. Not all caches are created equally. What might be an easy find for one cacher might be not be for the next. I've seen cachers with 4 digit find totals tear their hair out over what a noob found easily and vice versa. I would agree with the majority on getting yourself a GPSr though. It sounds like you've got the bug and there ain't no cure so you might as well ease the frustration a bit. Welcome to the game!

Better yet, rather than throw away $99 on that there 'starter' unit, splurge a little and drop about $150.00 on a Magellan 210. A unit with all the features that you'll likely need for years to come. There are probably similarly priced Garmin units that offer substantially more but I am not sure about that. You'll have no problem selling the unit on ebay or to a friend in the unlikely event that you discover that your initial love afair with this activity doesn't last. I would never recommend 'buying at the bottom' or for that matter 'buying at the top', it seems like such a waste to me. Welcome and "Cache on Garth". Merry Christmas.

Better yet, rather than throw away $99 on that there 'starter' unit, splurge a little and drop about $150.00 on a Magellan 210. A unit with all the features that you'll likely need for years to come. There are probably similarly priced Garmin units that offer substantially more but I am not sure about that.

The comparable Garmin unit is probably the trusty Garmin Legend.

Urban micros can be especially tricky for the uninitiated. There are few common hiding techniques which become "old hat" after you've found a few.

Find a fellow cacher in the area or attend a cache event. Maybe e-mail the owner for a hint. You'll find them.

It doesn't happen often but I agree with Team Cotati!!

Don't buy a bottom of the line GPS. Also I would look at getting one that at the very least has maps and the ability to upload more detailed maps. If you can swing the difference then one that does on GPS autorouting will make the unit useful for more than just geocaching. You will find that it will become an invaluable tool for vacations and finding that elusive address in town.

It doesn't happen often but I agree with Team Cotati!!

Don't buy a bottom of the line GPS. Also I would look at getting one that at the very least has maps and the ability to upload more detailed maps. If you can swing the difference then one that does on GPS autorouting will make the unit useful for more than just geocaching. You will find that it will become an invaluable tool for vacations and finding that elusive address in town.

My life is now complete. :o

Am I on my own from there? Or, could a gps get me closer?

The GPS will get you closer, but it still takes a while to develop the instincts on where things are likely hidden. Gotta calibrate the spidey sense.

It might be worthwhile to hook up with a caching buddy for a few outings. It can be discouraging to find nothing several times in a row in the beginning.